In China, fears of financial Iron Curtain as U.S. tensions rise

WE HEAR A LOT ABOUT CHINESE PATIENCE, BUT LATELY WE’RE SEEING THE IMPATIENCE OF AN ELDERLY DICTATOR WHO KNOWS HE DOESN’T HAVE A LOT OF TIME: Europe Just Declared Independence From China: As the EU navigates an increasingly Sino-American world, it finally sees the need to stand together, even against Beijing.

View attachment 385662

China’s "diplomats" were already having a terrible year in Europe, but this week they managed to make it even worse.

China doesn't have "diplomacy", they lie, issue ultimatums and expect Lebron-like kneeling in response.

Xi this past week dispatched his foreign minister, Wang Yi, to five European countries for some preparatory sweet talk. Talk there was; it just wasn’t sweet.

Wang showed up hoping to hear the softer tones to which he’s accustomed from Europeans, who remain more eager than the Americans to keep trading and doing business with China. Instead, he was surprised at the amount of resistance he was picking up underneath the formal niceties.

But those dissonances were as nothing compared with his stopover in Berlin. Speaking to German reporters, Wang lashed out at the president of the Czech Senate, Milos Vystrcil, who had taken a delegation to visit Taiwan. Vystrcil would “pay a heavy price,” threatened Wang, fuming that the Czech’s “betrayal” made him “an enemy of 1.4 billion Chinese people.”

This elicited a prompt response from Heiko Maas, Germany’s foreign minister. Standing next to Wang at their joint press conference, Maas reminded his visitor that “we as Europeans act in close cooperation” and demand respect, and that “threats don’t fit in here.” Colleagues from France, Slovakia and other European countries quickly backed him up.

The list of grievances against Lying Outlaw Slaver China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business. Then there’s China’s saber-rattling in the South China Sea, and of course its rapacious approach to business.

China’s diplomats are well advised to change their bearing in future visits.
This extremely slanted article appearing in Bloomberg Opinion shows that even the generally pro-Democratic Party “liberal” Bloomberg faction in Wall Street is now supportive of taking a hard line with China. This general anti-Chinese propaganda gives the lie to Trump’s attempts to portray DNC politicians like Biden and Bloomberg as being in XiJinping’s pocket. The Washington consensus is now more or less pushing for a full Cold War.

Even admitting the ham-handedness and difficulties of Chinese propaganda and diplomacy and the real excesses of Chinese domestic security / anti-democracy authoritarianism under XiJinping, most of the real motivations for Washington ramping up pressures on China (and D.C.’s NATO allies) is here completely ignored. This superficial article also characterizes China’s motivations in the South China Sea quite mistakenly in my view.

But perhaps the “Lying Outlaw” character of today’s “Trumpian” anti-China perspective can best be found comparing the already terrible Bloomberg article with the OUTRAGEOUS MISQUOTING of the same article shown here (from Zorro! ’s comment above):

The list of grievances against Lying Outlaw Slaver China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business.

The list of grievances against China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business.

China’s diplomats do indeed have a problem ... dealing with an army of anti-China liberal Wall Street journalists, unprincipled politicians like Trump, and assorted Westerners who show neither understanding nor even simple integrity.
Seems weird for a defense of the Lying OUTLAW SLAVERS of Beijing to ask for "simple integrity".

Simple Integrity would be:
  • Not lying about person to person transfer of COVID, in violation of their international commitments while five million visitors left Wuhan and seeded the pandemic throughout the world.
  • Would be not stealing our technology and robbing us blind as they take advantage of our much more open markets.
  • Would be not treating the world's environment like their own personal trashcan.
  • Would be not committing genocide against their Muslim minorities.
  • Would be not stealing from and bullying their neighbors and refusing to honor the maritime boundaries of others.
A Mercantilist Regime ALWAYS ends up in a conflict with a more Free-Trading Nation that they are exchanging goods with, because the Mercantilist regime is taking advantage of them. This is known, yet when they deliberately do what is well known to result in conflicts, and a conflict results, you want to blame us. You sound like one of the Death To America folks. Some folks take the side of the Lying Outlaw Slavers of Beijing's side in every conflict.

One wonders why:

1599509292102.png

It’s very hypocritical of Americans to criticize the Chinese government for not caring for it’s people and committing heinous acts, when the US government is doing those things.

Here is another more of less comprehensive take on this question, this time from Yahoo Finance, with some links, including one to an article about ex-aide John Bolton’s criticism of Trump for not taking a harder line on China. Bolton, always a hardliner, now a “Never Trumper,” predicts that — if elected — Trump will revert to taking a softer line on China.

Last edited:
Here is another more of less comprehensive take on this question, this time from Yahoo Finance, with some links, including one to an article about ex-aide John Bolton’s criticism of Trump for not taking a harder line on China. Bolton, always a hardliner, now a “Never Trumper,” predicts that — if elected — Trump will revert to taking a softer line on China.

I haven't gotten the sense lately that Bolton is a fount of predictive value.

Looking through your Yahoo Finance link to see why Trump is supposedly about to go soft on China. I found nothing supporting your claim.

Here is the interesting thing about Trump: He tells you what he is going to do, and then he does it.
Trump said that he would reduce the trade deficit with China, and he has. He has reversed 9 years of deterioration in our China Trade deficit in just the last two years.

fredgraph.png

A sharp escalation in tensions with the United States has stoked fears in China of a deepening financial war that could result in it being shut out of the global dollar system - a devastating prospect once considered far-fetched but now not impossible.

Maybe they could negotiate in good faith, to get our trade more fair and balanced.

LOL!!! Greedy bastards.

That would be very disappointing. They have not negotiated in good faith. He should bring the hammer down.

Looking through your Yahoo Finance link to see why Trump is supposedly about to go soft on China. I found nothing supporting your claim.

Here is the interesting thing about Trump: He tells you what he is going to do, and then he does it.
Trump said that he would reduce the trade deficit with China, and he has. He has reversed 9 years of deterioration in our China Trade deficit in just the last two years.

fredgraph.png
Personally I have no idea what Trump would try to do with U.S.-China trade and political relations if he is re-elected. His present “Biden Is in China’s pocket” sloganeering is just an opportunist election campaign ploy. Trump will not seriously challenge the developing bipartisan anti-China Wall Street consensus. Bolton is certainly a “New Cold War” ass, much like Pompeo, but he is now a working with the equally anti-China, anti-Trump Democrats. Trump is only an unstable and unprincipled demagogue. He actually admires Xi and Putin and is following an idiosyncratic and utterly unthought out policy. The U.S. trade deficit with China is parallel with our world deficits and flow essentially from similar causes.

fredgraph.png
Personally I have no idea what Trump would try to do with U.S.-China trade and political relations if he is re-elected. His present “Biden Is in China’s pocket” sloganeering is just an opportunist election campaign ploy. Trump will not seriously challenge the developing bipartisan anti-China Wall Street consensus. Bolton is certainly a “New Cold War” ass, much like Pompeo, but he is now a working with the equally anti-China, anti-Trump Democrats. Trump is only an unstable and unprincipled demagogue. He actually admires Xi and Putin and is following an idiosyncratic and utterly unthought out policy. The U.S. trade deficit with China is parallel with our world deficits and flow essentially from similar causes.
So true. It’s hard to determine who is more unstable, Joe or Don. I suspect whoever wins, war is just around the corner.

fredgraph.png
P.S. Zorro! , the Bolton article was in a separate link within the Yahoo article. For what it’s worth, here it is: US-China decoupling already under way, John Bolton says

So true. It’s hard to determine who is more unstable, Joe or Don. I suspect whoever wins, war is just around the corner.
I think we mostly agree on the duopoly’s similarities, but I think the two parties are by no means identical, and Trump personally is — of course — not a typical Republican. He is a supreme opportunist, a narcissist and conman. Not stable or predictable. He is carelessly destructive of international trade and of political alliances and organizations, without any strategy to improve or replace them. His nationalism is primitive as is everything about him.

The Democrats and bureaucrats of the national security state are bad enough — they thrive on small scale wars — but most also have a collective appreciation of the need for checks and balances, and respect at least those great power international norms that kept us out of shooting conflicts with Russia or China in the past (Korea excepted).

I don’t have confidence that Trump and his team of sycophants and grifters and Christian Zionists, wrapping themselves in the American flag, will have sufficient restraints when a major crisis occurs. I don’t believe the CCP wants such a crisis, and it certainly has no ambition to attack the U.S., or even replace it as the world’s superpower policeman. But U.S. imperialism — especially with a narcissistic personality like Trump as Commander-in-Chief — may stumble into a conflict nobody in their right mind would want.

I would agree that whoever wins the election — major war is a threat if state capitalist conflicts are not resolved diplomatically. If there is real economic disengagement there will be a Cold War far worse than what we had with the USSR. State and economic competition in that case may lead to military conflict, say in the South China Sea, which could rapidly expand out of control. A terrifying prospect.

I think we mostly agree on the duopoly’s similarities, but I think the two parties are by no means identical, and Trump personally is — of course — not a typical Republican. He is a supreme opportunist, a narcissist and conman. Not stable or predictable. He is carelessly destructive of international trade and of political alliances and organizations, without any strategy to improve or replace them. His nationalism is primitive as is everything about him.

The Democrats and bureaucrats of the national security state are bad enough — they thrive on small scale wars — but most also have a collective appreciation of the need for checks and balances, and respect at least those great power international norms that kept us out of shooting conflicts with Russia or China in the past (Korea excepted).

I don’t have confidence that Trump and his team of sycophants and grifters and Christian Zionists, wrapping themselves in the American flag, will have sufficient restraints when a major crisis occurs. I don’t believe the CCP wants such a crisis, and it certainly has no ambition to attack the U.S., or even replace it as the world’s superpower policeman. But U.S. imperialism — especially with a narcissistic personality like Trump as Commander-in-Chief — may stumble into a conflict nobody in their right mind would want.

I would agree that whoever wins the election — major war is a threat if state capitalist conflicts are not resolved diplomatically. If there is real economic disengagement there will be a Cold War far worse than what we had with the USSR. State and economic competition in that case may lead to military conflict, say in the South China Sea, which could rapidly expand out of control. A terrifying prospect.

Trump's nationalism, is manifesting as wanting less unbalance trade and for our allies to pay their fair share.

IF the world is in a place where that is a huge problem, then it is the world that is the problem, not Trump.

And they need to deal with it. We have borne enough burdens for too long.

Trump's nationalism, is manifesting as wanting less unbalance trade and for our allies to pay their fair share.

IF the world is in a place where that is a huge problem, then it is the world that is the problem, not Trump.

Don is most certainly a narcissist and possibly a psychopath. We also know he’s a liar, conman, and not very intelligent.

His cold blooded murder of the Iranian general on a peace mission, then lying about him to the American people in an effort to justify his crime, indicates he has th capability to push us into a big war. Thankfully Tehran show restraint...you know? Those evil people Americans consider crazed murdering Muslim fanatics.

One of the main forces pushing the “Made In China” Covid-19 propaganda campaign was the Falun Gong religious cult’s pro-Trump Epoch Times, which also spread slanders that China deaths were in the hundreds of thousands and that Wuhan was cremating living victims of the disease. They also pushed the story that Dr. Ai Fen was imprisoned and disappeared, even before she reappeared shortly in April to say she was working as always and just wanted to be left alone to do her work.

Another original pusher of such stories was Breitbart, which worked closely with fugitive Chinese millionaire Guo Wengui, whose China information bureau served as Breitbart’s partner. Bannon was recently arrested on Guo’s $35 million dollar yacht in Connecticut. See Steven Bannon indicted for Fraud for my comments on the Bannon / Guo connection.

As for Dr. Ai Feng, her situation is not related directly to this OP theme, but she certainly may be under pressure not to speak freely about the initial cover-ups that she helped expose by Wuhan CCP bureaucrats during January of this year. China is not a country where free speech is guaranteed to individuals, especially when matters of national security or whistleblowing are concerned. This is a great pity and problem in China. Dr. Ai Feng may surely have interesting things to say about those early weeks of bureaucratic delay and indecisiveness, as perhaps also of our own nation’s many months of the same.
Ground zero was right beside a virology lab that was manipulating corona viruses. Have been for years. 100% fact. If you cant even consider the possibility this virus isnt natural, you are a complete moron.

Don is most certainly a narcissist and possibly a psychopath. We also know he’s a liar, conman, and not very intelligent.

His cold blooded murder of the Iranian general on a peace mission, then lying about him to the American people in an effort to justify his crime, indicates he has th capability to push us into a big war. Thankfully Tehran show restraint...you know? Those evil people Americans consider crazed murdering Muslim fanatics.

A military officer in a war zone, who's nation is waging war on the US, is a valid target.

That you spin it as proof of something negative, undermines your credibility.

A military officer in a war zone, who's nation is waging war on the US, is a valid target.

Oh LMFAO. You bought the lying State’s line about the general and Iran. Please get informed

I didn’t know we are at war with Iran? When did it start?

The general was on a peace mission involving the US. The US knew he was flying commercial to Baghdad for peace meetings. He represented Iran in those planned meetings.

Killing him could have easily spiraled the whole ME into war but thankfully the Aytollhahs, who you consider fanatical murdering terrorists, showed restraint. Thus preventing world war. Next time restraint might not occur.

Oh LMFAO. You bought the lying State’s line about the general and Iran. Please get informed

I didn’t know we are at war with Iran? When did it start?

The general was on a peace mission involving the US. The US knew he was flying commercial to Baghdad for peace meetings. He represented Iran in those planned meetings.

Killing him could have easily spiraled the whole ME into war but thankfully the Aytollhahs, who you consider fanatical murdering terrorists, showed restraint. Thus preventing world war. Next time restraint might not occur.

When they provide material support to people who are killing our people, if not actual troops. That is when the war started.

YOu say he was on a peace mission. That is fine. You disagree with the decision to kill him. That is fine.

BUt my point stands. Killing an enemy in a war, in a war zone, is not a sign of any of the shit you said.

Folks, I too have strong feelings about the assassination of Soleimani and scores of Shia militiamen in Iraq, but this is not really the thread to have that discussion. We are discussing China-U.S. relations.

fredgraph.png
Personally I have no idea what Trump would try to do with U.S.-China trade and political relations if he is re-elected...
Then clearly you are not paying attention. Trump will continue to work to prevent their wholesale theft of our technology and continue to bridge the gap between how much business we do with them, compared to how much business they do with us. We have the best Consumer market in the world, they offer 3rd world manufacturing available for any number of alternatives, that are not; specifically building a military to challenge us, stealing from us and their neighbors, and loosing a global pandemic on their best customers.
... His present “Biden Is in China’s pocket” sloganeering is just an opportunist election campaign ploy...
Oh sure, it's just coincidence that China, Russia and Ukraine all got the urge to pour $Millions and $Billions into his coke addled son Hunter.
Trump will not seriously challenge the developing bipartisan anti-China Wall Street consensus...
Meaningless Word Salad.
... Bolton is certainly a “New Cold War” ass...
Trump fire Bolton.
... anti-China...
It's perfectly rational to be anti the Thieves, Outlaws, Slavers of Beijing, that loosed a pandemic on us. That is pretty much the height of bad customer service. Clearly the cheap price tag on their crap is misleading, they are VERY EXPENSIVE to do business with, there are better choices.
... Trump is only an unstable and unprincipled demagogue. He actually admires Xi...
More baseless world salad and unsupported mental construct.
... The U.S. trade deficit with China is parallel with our world deficits ...
More unsupported nonsense falsified by real world data.

fredgraph.png

The very great Trump improvement in our trade deficit with China has greatly improved our overall standing. Trump's fantastic rework of NAFTA has moved lying outlaw slaver Beijing from our top trading partner all the way down to #3 with Mexico and Canada moving to #1 and #2. The only reason Leftists and anti-Trumpers want our supply lines to stretch around the world rather than to just our closest neighbors is because so much Communist China cash is being stuffed into our Leftwing Think Tanks, Universities, Politicians, and in the case of Biden, his coke addled son Hunter.

fredgraph.png
Personally I have no idea what Trump would try to do with U.S.-China trade and political relations if he is re-elected...
Then clearly you are not paying attention. Trump will continue to work to prevent their wholesale theft of our technology and continue to bridge the gap between how much business we do with them, compared to how much business they do with us. We have the best Consumer market in the world, they offer 3rd world manufacturing available for any number of alternatives, that are not; specifically building a military to challenge us, stealing from us and their neighbors, and loosing a global pandemic on their best customers.
... His present “Biden Is in China’s pocket” sloganeering is just an opportunist election campaign ploy...
Oh sure, it's just coincidence that China, Russia and Ukraine all got the urge to pour $Millions and $Billions into his coke addled son Hunter.
Trump will not seriously challenge the developing bipartisan anti-China Wall Street consensus...
Meaningless Word Salad.
... Bolton is certainly a “New Cold War” ass...
Trump fire Bolton.
... anti-China...
It's perfectly rational to be anti the Thieves, Outlaws, Slavers of Beijing, that loosed a pandemic on us. That is pretty much the height of bad customer service. Clearly the cheap price tag on their crap is misleading, they are VERY EXPENSIVE to do business with, there are better choices.
... Trump is only an unstable and unprincipled demagogue. He actually admires Xi...
More baseless world salad and unsupported mental construct.
... The U.S. trade deficit with China is parallel with our world deficits ...
More unsupported nonsense falsified by real world data.

fredgraph.png

The very great Trump improvement in our trade deficit with China has greatly improved our overall standing. Trump's fantastic rework of NAFTA has moved lying outlaw slaver Beijing from our top trading partner all the way down to #3 with Mexico and Canada moving to #1 and #2. The only reason Leftists and anti-Trumpers want our supply lines to stretch around the world rather than to just our closest neighbors is because so much Communist China cash is being stuffed into our Leftwing Think Tanks, Universities, Politicians, and in the case of Biden, his coke addled son Hunter.

I am still awaiting @Zorro’s admission that he purposefully misquoted an anti-China article in Bloomberg, without informing us, adding into the quote his personal favorite categorization of China — Lying Outlaw Slaver. Zorro thinks all my own thoughtful and precise characterizations are just “word salad,” but his own mouthing of hysterical, false or exaggerated propaganda memes ... has “integrity.”

He is not interested in discussing the Chinese domestic reaction to U.S. policy moves which my OP addresses. He is not interested even in defending his own integrity. He is only interested in defending Donald Trump’s integrity. His graphic is almost meaningless, provided without context or attribution. Tonight I will provide separately an OP showing the U.S. overall balance of payments deterioration since 2016, and as always try to explain the root causes for this.

I do not deny the slight improvement in the continuing balance of payments deficits with China itself, but that is almost insignificant in the larger context of U.S. growing deficits and Chinese world and domestic market growth, China’s moving factories to Southeast Asia, etc. As I pointed out, the Chinese CP leadership is now taking active measures to wean itself away from dependence on dollar trade with the U.S.

I also note tensions in the South China Sea may be escalating again, with the U.S. sending another destroyer into waters around the Chinese occupied Paracel Islands:

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back