In China, fears of financial Iron Curtain as U.S. tensions rise

Because if it's two things at the very top of the list for brutish communist regimes, it's raising economic standards of the peasants and environmental sensitivity.

Fuck my life.
It is impossible to read the minds of the top CCP leadership, but you can bet your ass that “raising economic standards of the peasants and environment” is very near the top of the list of CCP leadership goals. Hell, they’ve already shown success in these fields. Failure to continue achieving such publicly declared material goals might prove fatal to the CCP leaders, whose legitimacy largely depends on their proving they get results.

It is also impossible to predict the future, but it’s a safe bet that the lives of the last four commenters is already “fucked.” Everything about them, from their ignorance to their arrogance to their personal insults screams “Fuck my life.”
Riiiiiight.....Commies care deeply about the proletariat.

Too bad those from the Holomodor and the Great Leap Forward couldn't be reached for comment.

Lenin had a term for propagandist saps like you.

Too bad those from the Holomodor and the Great Leap Forward couldn't be reached for comment.

I doubt you can give us a history lesson about “Holomodor” ... since you cannot even spell the word correctly!

You also surely know little about the failed Great Leap Forward or Mao’s equally disasterous “Cultural Revolution.” It would be worth discussing — but obviously above your own pay grade — how the CCP managed to evolve after the defeat of the “Gang Of Four” into a CP under Deng and others Mao had once imprisoned.

Do you not even understand the immense difference between “collectivist communism” in an overwhelmingly peasant, utterly poverty stricken & destroyed country ... and a “mixed economy” with huge internationally competitive capitalist corporations, stock markets and a huge middle and managerial class?

If you actually really knew something about China and its horrible plight in the last century and a half, or about today’s China, I would surely be willing to listen to what you have to say. But I can detail more outrageous aspects of contemporary Chinese life, and more evil aspects of bureaucratic “communism” than you can even list, and still not repeat a single self-serving lie or slander of U.S. imperialism. So stop embarrassing yourself, and stop pretending it is I who am the sap here.

Last edited:

I doubt you can give us a history lesson about “Holomodor” ... since you cannot even spell the word correctly!

You also surely know little about the failed Great Leap Forward or Mao’s equally disasterous “Cultural Revolution.” It would be worth discussing — but obviously above your own pay grade — how the CCP managed to evolve after the defeat of the “Gang Of Four” into a CP under Deng and others Mao had once imprisoned.

Do you not even understand the immense difference between “collectivist communism” in an overwhelmingly peasant, utterly poverty stricken & destroyed country ... and a “mixed economy” with huge internationally competitive capitalist corporations, stock markets and a huge middle and managerial class?

If you actually really knew something about China and its horrible plight in the last century and a half, or about today’s China, I might be willing to listen to what you have to say. But I can detail more outrageous aspects of contemporary Chinese life, and more evil aspects of bureaucratic “communism” than you can even list, and still not repeat a single self-serving lie or slander of U.S. imperialism. So stop embarrassing yourself, and stop pretending it is I who am the sap here.
Ahhh....The spelling Nazi argument.....Followed by the disingenuous smoke-blowing parsing of the supposed differing flavors of totalitarian communist tyranny.....Followed by the stale commie recriminations of U.S. imperialism.

I'm convinced of it now....You're either a hopelessly naive useful idiot, or an active agent for Xi.

Oddball cannot spell “Holodomor.” He cannot say one word about the OP topic either! He just rages on stupidly. And of course he insults me because I do know some things, having lived and studied in China for eight years.

Perhaps Oddball stupidly insulting and slandering me makes his “Well, fuck me!” life ... less miserable? Nah, I doubt it. A mind that cannot grasp that China can be totalitarian and the U.S. can also be imperialist, is a mind fit only for ... a frog wearing a clown’s cap.

Last edited:
Because if it's two things at the very top of the list for brutish communist regimes, it's raising economic standards of the peasants and environmental sensitivity.

Fuck my life.
It is impossible to read the minds of the top CCP leadership, but you can bet your ass that “raising economic standards of the peasants and environment” is very near the top of the list of CCP leadership goals. Hell, they’ve already shown success in these fields. Failure to continue achieving such publicly declared material goals might prove fatal to the CCP leaders, whose legitimacy largely depends on their proving they get results.

It is also impossible to predict the future, but it’s a safe bet that the future of commenters like Oddball, CrusaderFrank, and Correll is already ... “fucked.” Everything about them, from their ignorance to their arrogance to their personal insults screams ... “Fuck my life.”

I asked why they don't try to make our trade more balanced. It seems like the obvious choice, if they are so afraid of a trade war.

Asking a question, a fairly reasonable one, can be spun as "ignorance" though I suspect I know that answer as well as you, it is certainly not a sign of "arrogance".

And I agree. The CCP does seem to have the goal of "raising economic standards of the peasants" as their goal.

If you actually really knew something about China and its horrible plight in the last century and a half, or about today’s China, I would surely be willing to listen to what you have to say. But I can detail more outrageous aspects of contemporary Chinese life, and more evil aspects of bureaucratic “communism” than you can even list, and still not repeat a single self-serving lie or slander of U.S. imperialism. So stop embarrassing yourself, and stop pretending it is I who am the sap here.

Being a sloppy speller does not mean that his point on the various genocides of communists is not relevant.

Your use of arrogance as a shield against having to defend your positions, is you being the "sap" here.

Oddball cannot spell “Holodomor.” He cannot say one word about the OP topic either! He just rages on stupidly. And of course he insults me because I do know some things, having lived and studied in China for eight years.

Perhaps Oddball stupidly insulting and slandering me makes his “Well, fuck me!” life ... less miserable? Nah, I doubt it. A mind that cannot grasp that China can be totalitarian and the U.S. can also be imperialist, is a mind fit only for ... a frog wearing a clown’s cap.

If you know so much, tell us, why balanced and fair trade is out of the question.

...Too bad those from the Holomodor and the Great Leap Forward couldn't be reached for comment.

If you were to study Chinese history, you might realize the distinction between China under Mao and the different track Deng set the country upon.
Yes, because Deng was known as such a man of the people...

_107147958_gettyimages-517198274.jpg

Being a sloppy speller does not mean that his point on the various genocides of communists is not relevant.

Your use of arrogance as a shield against having to defend your positions, is you being the "sap" here.
Arrogance, coupled with shopworn irrelevancies.

I was as big a free trade advocate with China as anyone when they were being admitted to the WTO...I fell for the argument that free trade would have a democratizing effect for the Chinese people, but it has done none of that...It has strengthened the hand of the CCP and given them the resources to be even more oppressive brutal...On top of that, you can't have free and fair trade with people who refuse to reciprocate....Were what China has done been effected with bombs and bullets instead of trade, it would already be recognized that they are in a full-fledged war with the west.

Fuck Xi...Fuck the CCP...Fuck China.

This OP thread is about Chinese ruling elites’ increasing fear that the West plans to try to cripple China’s economy in a new Cold War. It lays out specifically what they fear in terms of possibly excluding China from SWIFT dollar trading, broad based sanctions against Chinese companies (already begun), “decoupling,” etc.

I did not mention another deep fear they may harbor that the U.S. may one day block oil shipments from the Persian Gulf. The Chinese government has stopped Covid-19 in its tracks and its factories are booming again. It can not afford to be deprived (as Japan was before WWII) of crucial oil imports — and this I believe partly explains the hard Chinese line in the South China Sea, which contains rich hydrocarbon fields and controls shipping lanes crucial to all of the Far East. The U.S. can, if it is not careful and continues to operate as if the South China Sea was just a distant “Gulf of Mexico” subject to American navy domination, fully alienate the Chinese people and drive them into the hands of a new, far more dangerous, Chinese leadership.

Other questions I think best gone into in a separate thread are the complicated issues of real or imagined “cheating” by the China side over trade commitments already signed, or causes for the trade imbalance the U.S. has allowed itself to develop with China and many other countries.

I think one clarification is needed, however. There has never been anything remotely resembling genuine “Free Trade” with China (or amongst most competing capitalist nations). China’s admission to the WTO in 2001 also did not create a “Free Trade” treaty. China’s domestic economic development, radical domestic economic reforms, its very openness to foreign trade, began before this admission. U.S. policy since Nixon’s trip to China during the Cultural Revolution was never uniquely predicated on China becoming “more like us,” but always involved complex political and economic trade-offs consciously entered into by U.S. economic and political elites.

When people claim that we were somehow “hoodwinked” by China, they are only confirming their own naïveté about American motives, or their lack of understanding of China itself. One should ask oneself another question: If China were never recognized, never permitted to trade with the rest of the world on ordinary agreed to WTO terms, would things have turned out any better? Would China be more like us today? Or would we be faced with something resembling 1.4 billion angry and isolated “North Koreans” armed to the teeth with nuclear missiles?

China’s economy took off before its admission to the WTO. Though WTO membership hastened economic development in China, the WTO itself is not a “free trade” organization. It originated in 1995 as successor to the post-WWII GATT framework for regulating and managing international trade according to complex evolving treaty and contract agreements. Some 99% of world trade occurs in nations now members of the WTO. It is the U.S.A. today which is trying to sabotage the WTO, despite still dominating it, despite always having dominated it — along with our Western and Asian “allies.”

I don’t expect my comments here will lead to any circumspection among those used to conflating thoughtfulness with treason, or “China” with XiJinping and the present CCP leadership. Actually, it is the CCP itself that always conflates itself with China’s future — arguing “No New China Without the CCP!” This is of course propaganda, but it just may become truth. In any case, it is the “mirror image” of @Oddball’s own maximally ignorant slogan: “Fuck Xi...Fuck the CCP...Fuck China.”

Last edited:
This OP thread is about Chinese ruling elites’ increasing fear that the West plans to try to cripple China’s economy in a new Cold War. It lays out specifically what they fear in terms of possibly excluding China from SWIFT dollar trading, broad based sanctions against Chinese companies (already begun), “decoupling,” etc.

I did not mention another deep fear they may harbor that the U.S. may one day block oil shipments from the Persian Gulf. The Chinese government has stopped Covid-19 in its tracks and its factories are booming again. It can not afford to be deprived (as Japan was before WWII) of crucial oil imports — and this I believe partly explains the hard Chinese line in the South China Sea, which contains rich hydrocarbon fields and controls shipping lanes crucial to all of the Far East. The U.S. can, if it is not careful and continues to operate as if the South China Sea was just a distant “Gulf of Mexico” subject to American navy domination, fully alienate the Chinese people and drive them into the hands of a new, far more dangerous, Chinese leadership.

Other questions I think best gone into in a separate thread are the complicated issues of real or imagined “cheating” by the China side over trade commitments already signed, or causes for the trade imbalance the U.S. has allowed itself to develop with China and many other countries.

I think one clarification is needed, however. There has never been anything remotely resembling genuine “Free Trade” with China (or amongst most competing capitalist nations). China’s admission to the WTO in 2001 also did not create a “Free Trade” treaty. China’s domestic economic development, radical domestic economic reforms, its very openness to foreign trade, began before this admission. U.S. policy since Nixon’s trip to China during the Cultural Revolution was never uniquely predicated on China becoming “more like us,” but always involved complex political and economic trade-offs consciously entered into by U.S. economic and political elites.

When people claim that we were somehow “hoodwinked” by China, they are only confirming their own naïveté about American motives, or their lack of understanding of China itself. One should ask oneself another question: If China were never recognized, never permitted to trade with the rest of the world on ordinary agreed to WTO terms, would things have turned out any better? Would China be more like us today? Or would we be faced with something resembling 1.4 billion angry and isolated “North Koreans” armed to the teeth with nuclear missiles?

China’s economy took off before its admission to the WTO. Though WTO membership hastened economic development in China, the WTO itself is not a “free trade” organization. It originated in 1995 as successor to the post-WWII GATT framework for regulating and managing international trade according to complex evolving treaty and contract agreements. Some 99% of world trade occurs in nations now members of the WTO. It is the U.S.A. today which is trying to sabotage the WTO, despite still dominating it, despite always having dominated it — along with our Western and Asian “allies.”

I don’t expect my comments here will lead to any circumspection among those used to conflating thoughtfulness with treason, or “China” with XiJinping and the present CCP leadership. Actually, it is the CCP itself that always conflates itself with China’s future — arguing “No New China Without the CCP!” This is of course propaganda, but it just may become truth. In any case, it is the “mirror image” of @Oddball’s own maximally ignorant slogan: “Fuck Xi...Fuck the CCP...Fuck China.”

So, you want to talk about the possible trade war, but not about the cause or how it could be easily avoided?

Ok. I can see how that makes sense.

I like that Trump is already making his first moves. The Chinese need to know we are serious. The status quo cannot stand.

WE HEAR A LOT ABOUT CHINESE PATIENCE, BUT LATELY WE’RE SEEING THE IMPATIENCE OF AN ELDERLY DICTATOR WHO KNOWS HE DOESN’T HAVE A LOT OF TIME: Europe Just Declared Independence From China: As the EU navigates an increasingly Sino-American world, it finally sees the need to stand together, even against Beijing.

1599498277995.png

China’s "diplomats" were already having a terrible year in Europe, but this week they managed to make it even worse.

China doesn't have "diplomacy", they lie, issue ultimatums and expect Lebron-like kneeling in response.

Xi this past week dispatched his foreign minister, Wang Yi, to five European countries for some preparatory sweet talk. Talk there was; it just wasn’t sweet.

Wang showed up hoping to hear the softer tones to which he’s accustomed from Europeans, who remain more eager than the Americans to keep trading and doing business with China. Instead, he was surprised at the amount of resistance he was picking up underneath the formal niceties.

But those dissonances were as nothing compared with his stopover in Berlin. Speaking to German reporters, Wang lashed out at the president of the Czech Senate, Milos Vystrcil, who had taken a delegation to visit Taiwan. Vystrcil would “pay a heavy price,” threatened Wang, fuming that the Czech’s “betrayal” made him “an enemy of 1.4 billion Chinese people.”

This elicited a prompt response from Heiko Maas, Germany’s foreign minister. Standing next to Wang at their joint press conference, Maas reminded his visitor that “we as Europeans act in close cooperation” and demand respect, and that “threats don’t fit in here.” Colleagues from France, Slovakia and other European countries quickly backed him up.

The list of grievances against Lying Outlaw Slaver China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business. Then there’s China’s saber-rattling in the South China Sea, and of course its rapacious approach to business.

China’s diplomats are well advised to change their bearing in future visits.

WE HEAR A LOT ABOUT CHINESE PATIENCE, BUT LATELY WE’RE SEEING THE IMPATIENCE OF AN ELDERLY DICTATOR WHO KNOWS HE DOESN’T HAVE A LOT OF TIME: Europe Just Declared Independence From China: As the EU navigates an increasingly Sino-American world, it finally sees the need to stand together, even against Beijing.

View attachment 385662

China’s "diplomats" were already having a terrible year in Europe, but this week they managed to make it even worse.

China doesn't have "diplomacy", they lie, issue ultimatums and expect Lebron-like kneeling in response.

Xi this past week dispatched his foreign minister, Wang Yi, to five European countries for some preparatory sweet talk. Talk there was; it just wasn’t sweet.

Wang showed up hoping to hear the softer tones to which he’s accustomed from Europeans, who remain more eager than the Americans to keep trading and doing business with China. Instead, he was surprised at the amount of resistance he was picking up underneath the formal niceties.

But those dissonances were as nothing compared with his stopover in Berlin. Speaking to German reporters, Wang lashed out at the president of the Czech Senate, Milos Vystrcil, who had taken a delegation to visit Taiwan. Vystrcil would “pay a heavy price,” threatened Wang, fuming that the Czech’s “betrayal” made him “an enemy of 1.4 billion Chinese people.”

This elicited a prompt response from Heiko Maas, Germany’s foreign minister. Standing next to Wang at their joint press conference, Maas reminded his visitor that “we as Europeans act in close cooperation” and demand respect, and that “threats don’t fit in here.” Colleagues from France, Slovakia and other European countries quickly backed him up.

The list of grievances against Lying Outlaw Slaver China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business. Then there’s China’s saber-rattling in the South China Sea, and of course its rapacious approach to business.

This extremely slanted article appearing in Bloomberg Opinion shows that even the generally pro-Democratic Party “liberal” Bloomberg faction in Wall Street is now supportive of taking a hard line with China. This general anti-Chinese propaganda gives the lie to Trump’s attempts to portray DNC politicians like Biden and Bloomberg as being in XiJinping’s pocket. The Washington consensus is now more or less pushing for a full Cold War.

Even admitting the ham-handedness and difficulties of Chinese propaganda and diplomacy and the real excesses of Chinese domestic security / anti-democracy authoritarianism under XiJinping, most of the real motivations for Washington ramping up pressures on China (and D.C.’s NATO allies) is here completely ignored. This superficial article also characterizes China’s motivations in the South China Sea quite mistakenly in my view.

But perhaps the “Lying Outlaw” character of today’s “Trumpian” anti-China perspective can best be found comparing the already terrible Bloomberg article with the OUTRAGEOUS MISQUOTING of the same article shown here (from Zorro! ’s comment above):

The list of grievances against Lying Outlaw Slaver China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business.

The list of grievances against China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business.

China’s diplomats do indeed have a problem ... dealing with an army of anti-China liberal Wall Street journalists, unprincipled politicians like Trump, and assorted Westerners who show neither understanding nor even simple integrity.

Last edited:
H
China is not at all interested in attacking or “taking down” the U.S. They have their hands full trying to raise the standard of living of their own people to even a third of the U.S. standard. They also have immense ecological and pollution problems they are trying to address while still being reliant on coal as a primary energy source.

Right now the whole world is wondering if the U.S. will “take itself down” in this election cycle and aftermath. Your paranoia about China and scapegoating about a non-existent Covid-19 “bio-attack” on the U.S. by China are noted.

There is no evidence that anything happened to the good doctor you mentioned, except that she was publicly recognized and applauded for her work in Wuhan. She herself never said anything about a “bio-attack,” but only pressed back in early January for the mysterious new “SARS-like” virus to be fully and immediately reported and investigated. Bravo to her!
Hilarious...China trying the standard of living for their own citizens!
Where do you get this nonsense from?

I

View attachment 385662

This extremely slanted article appearing in Bloomberg Opinion shows that even the generally pro-Democratic Party “liberal” Bloomberg faction in Wall Street is now supportive of taking a hard line with China. This general anti-Chinese propaganda gives the lie to Trump’s attempts to portray DNC politicians like Biden and Bloomberg as being in XiJinping’s pocket. The Washington consensus is now more or less pushing for a full Cold War.

Even admitting the ham-handedness and difficulties of Chinese propaganda and diplomacy and the real excesses of Chinese domestic security / anti-democracy authoritarianism under XiJinping, most of the real motivations for Washington ramping up pressures on China (and D.C.’s NATO allies) is here completely ignored. This superficial article also characterizes China’s motivations in the South China Sea quite mistakenly in my view.

But perhaps the “Lying Outlaw” character of today’s “Trumpian” anti-China perspective can best be found comparing the already terrible Bloomberg article with the OUTRAGEOUS MISQUOTING of the same article shown here (and in @Zorro’s comment above):

The list of grievances against Lying Outlaw Slaver China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business.

The list of grievances against China has simply become too long. It starts with the crackdown on Hong Kong and the suppression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang — China insists that both topics, like the Taiwanese question, are internal matters and none of the world’s business.

China’s diplomats do indeed have a problem ... dealing with an army of anti-China liberal Wall Street journalists, unprincipled politicians like Trump, and assorted Westerners who show neither understanding nor even simple integrity.

China’s diplomats do indeed have a problem ... dealing with an army of anti-China “liberal Imperialist” journalists, unprincipled politicians like Trump, and assorted Westerners who show neither understanding nor even simple integrity.
f you ain't rich enough in China to pay off your local officials, you're FoxConn toast.

Forum List

Back