In Canadastan Police Ticket You for Bicycling 4 MPH Over Speed Limit

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Canadastan - Where the government prosecutes you for saying Islam is controlled by people wishing to do harm to innocents and confiscates the life savings of anyone they don’t like without due process.

Canada so I can only speak in general but I can not fathom the mindset of someone that could actually stop someone on a bicycle. Some people have this belief they are here to save others I guess.

It's been noted more than once that I could never be a police officer and that is absolutely true.

When I was stationed in Memphis, the speed limit was 25 mph on base. Because I was a racer (and capable of doing so), I would routinely blow past the base police at 30 plus MPH, just to see if they would stop me. After the 4th or 5th time of being pulled over, I was warned that the next time would be a ticket, and I would have to go to base traffic court. They all said that they were impressed that I could go that fast on a bicycle though.

As far as the cyclist not knowing how fast he was going (as some Twitter posters have said), that is pure bullshit. Looking at the pic of the dude in question, he was wearing a jersey, riding a road bike, and looked to be in pretty decent shape. Just about every moderately serious cyclist (both roadies and mountain bikers) have computers on their bikes that tell them speed, average speed, RPM for pedals, distance, and that is if you have a cheap computer for your bike (around 20 bucks).

That being said, kudos to the cyclist for going fast enough to piss off the cops. I applaud him and his effort. Good to see that he's bringing attention to cyclists as well.

When I was stationed in Memphis, the speed limit was 25 mph on base. Because I was a racer (and capable of doing so), I would routinely blow past the base police at 30 plus MPH, just to see if they would stop me. After the 4th or 5th time of being pulled over, I was warned that the next time would be a ticket, and I would have to go to base traffic court. They all said that they were impressed that I could go that fast on a bicycle though.

As far as the cyclist not knowing how fast he was going (as some Twitter posters have said), that is pure bullshit. Looking at the pic of the dude in question, he was wearing a jersey, riding a road bike, and looked to be in pretty decent shape. Just about every moderately serious cyclist (both roadies and mountain bikers) have computers on their bikes that tell them speed, average speed, RPM for pedals, distance, and that is if you have a cheap computer for your bike (around 20 bucks).

That being said, kudos to the cyclist for going fast enough to piss off the cops. I applaud him and his effort. Good to see that he's bringing attention to cyclists as well.
You are going to hate me because many times I want to just have a paddle outside my Pax window and slap the ass of a cyclist when passing by…

I know it is wrong but dude ride the bikes on a trail and not a fifty mile per hour zone where you could get killed!

I was at a club ride a while back where the cops were giving tickets to everyone in the group.
For myself- I start to chicken out when hitting 45 MPH on curvy downhill sections and start hitting my brakes. I have earned enough road rash in my 40+ years of riding
Current road bike.
20200704_171158.jpg

Just got back on after 1 1.5 years [got a dog and she is a play/run monster] and rediscovering that I still have the legs.

Watching the news in my city and there seems to be at least one bike fatality a week. Between wiping out or getting nailed by a car I don't get it. Almost veryone I know who is a serious cyclist has had a major accident with months of recovery time or worse. I'll stick to hiking and running.

Same with motorcycles. Deadly.
People in cars are either cellphone distracted, angry at life or high on something.

Horrible times to be on two wheels in most places.
And I have an e-bike that can hit 66kph on flat ground as long as there is no headwind (with full charge)
Think....... "Tesla bicycle"

I was at a club ride a while back where the cops were giving tickets to everyone in the group.
For myself- I start to chicken out when hitting 45 MPH on curvy downhill sections and start hitting my brakes. I have earned enough road rash in my 40+ years of riding
Current road bike.
View attachment 675036

Just got back on after 1 1.5 years [got a dog and she is a play/run monster] and rediscovering that I still have the legs.

Nice Fuji. I used to ride a carbon fiber bike. Now? I've got a Lemond Zurich with Campy Chorus ergopower groupset, Mavic Cosmic aero wheels with bladed spokes and Speedplay pedals (aka "lollipop" pedals"). I used to have a Trek 5200 carbon fiber bike, but ended up getting the Lemond when the bottom bracket kept cracking on me. I had bought the 5200 when Trek first came out with them, and found out later that the reason the bottom bracket kept cracking was because they didn't use the right glue when they first built them. The Lemond is all steel, yet weighs in at only 21 lbs total bike weight.

Interesting thing happens when you get into the 60 MPH speeds...............first, it gets rough at around 61 to 62, then, at around 63 it smooths out, and above that, it's like riding on glass. Slowing down back through the 61 to 63 mph zone, it gets rough again, and then below that, it's just normal road vibration.

Same with motorcycles. Deadly.
People in cars are either cellphone distracted, angry at life or high on something.

Horrible times to be on two wheels in most places.
And I have an e-bike that can hit 66kph on flat ground as long as there is no headwind (with full charge)
Think....... "Tesla bicycle"

When I was stationed at Cecil Field I commuted daily 10 miles each way to work.

One morning, I came into work, and the Command Master Chief was standing outside his office and asked if I had a moment. I started thinking of all the stuff that I'd done the past week that could possibly get me in trouble, and couldn't come up with anything. After he told me to take a seat in his office, he leaned over his desk, and asked, "Murph, I have only one question".........I said "sure Master Chief, what's up?". He then asked "how in the hell do you manage to push that thing (referring to my bicycle) as fast as you do? I was behind you when you came out of the gate last night, and clocked you at 53 mph". My response was "Practice, Master Chief". I had managed to get behind a delivery truck and was able to draft them for the 2 miles outside of Cecil Field where it was a long straight stretch with no traffic lights. It's always fun to watch the shocked look of motorists when they see a bicycle going as fast (or faster) than their cars.

I came so close to buying one of those. Great bike.

To tell you the truth, I kinda lucked into it. After my 3rd Trek 5200 frame had cracked at the bottom bracket (Trek didn't use the right glue when they first started building all carbon bikes), the dealer offered me the Zurich in exchange for my 5200. After checking out the specs from Bicycling, and the fact that a complete 53 cm bike was only 21 lbs, I went ahead and accepted the trade. Probably one of the best deals I've ever done, because I got the bike back in '96, and still have it today. It came with carbon forks, but the rest of the frame was steel, and lemmie tell you, it's a great riding bike.

My bikes in order"
Trek 412 around 1981. It had a rather strange accident that somehow didn't kill me. I was going about 30 MPH [strong tail wind] and turned into a parking lot of a water park that was being built. I saw a car in the exit lane but didn't notice that there was still a gate in the entrance which I smacked at full speed. Didn't break any bones but it did put a ding in my top tube.
Ciocc - hand made Italian beauty. 1982. It was a dream to ride but I got a frame way too big for me. Columbus SL
Shogun Kaze time trial bike because I lived in the land of flat [Kansas] and went to college in the land of flat [OK].
Peugeot - I seem to remember Reynolds 531 tubing. That time trial bike was too much work with its weird 24 inch sew ups on the front [I.E expensive to find spares]
Cannondale SR600. Even though it had these weird fat downtubes, and was known for being a bone breaker in terms of stiffness, I saw the benefits of having a light weight bike. Oh, and I discovered these also weird things call hills.
Trek 2300 Pro Composite - my first carbon bike. Then I had a daughter and cobwebs formed.
Motobecane - I found my bike passion again. A light weight aluminum frame with some good parts.

Fuji. Once I was meeting my daughter in a town 120 miles away and as usual, I drove to fast to get there so I stopped by a bike shop and took a picture of a cool bike and sent it to my wife. A few months later, my wife talks me into going to a musical in that city but here was the glitch that I didn't pick up on. Step son took her SUV on a trip which left us with my MX-5, a car that I have taken many times back and forth on that trip. She rents a car for us to take. I didn't know that she had called the shop, bought me the bike for a birthday present and knew that if she asked for me to put the bike rack on my MX-5, it would be a dead giveaway.
I was on this bike, coming down a hill at 35 miles an hour when the last thing that went through my head was "I wonder how I'm going to get around this cat in the middle of the road" The next few weeks are fuzzy but plenty of bones were broken this time and I spent 3 nights at the hospital.
But the bike was OK.
It has gone through some wheels, replaced some parts that are more to my liking but everything else is the same. Still in my bibs waiting for the shower to warm up after another ride

My bikes in order"
Trek 412 around 1981. It had a rather strange accident that somehow didn't kill me. I was going about 30 MPH [strong tail wind] and turned into a parking lot of a water park that was being built. I saw a car in the exit lane but didn't notice that there was still a gate in the entrance which I smacked at full speed. Didn't break any bones but it did put a ding in my top tube.
Ciocc - hand made Italian beauty. 1982. It was a dream to ride but I got a frame way too big for me. Columbus SL
Shogun Kaze time trial bike because I lived in the land of flat [Kansas] and went to college in the land of flat [OK].
Peugeot - I seem to remember Reynolds 531 tubing. That time trial bike was too much work with its weird 24 inch sew ups on the front [I.E expensive to find spares]
Cannondale SR600. Even though it had these weird fat downtubes, and was known for being a bone breaker in terms of stiffness, I saw the benefits of having a light weight bike. Oh, and I discovered these also weird things call hills.
Trek 2300 Pro Composite - my first carbon bike. Then I had a daughter and cobwebs formed.
Motobecane - I found my bike passion again. A light weight aluminum frame with some good parts.

Fuji. Once I was meeting my daughter in a town 120 miles away and as usual, I drove to fast to get there so I stopped by a bike shop and took a picture of a cool bike and sent it to my wife. A few months later, my wife talks me into going to a musical in that city but here was the glitch that I didn't pick up on. Step son took her SUV on a trip which left us with my MX-5, a car that I have taken many times back and forth on that trip. She rents a car for us to take. I didn't know that she had called the shop, bought me the bike for a birthday present and knew that if she asked for me to put the bike rack on my MX-5, it would be a dead giveaway.
I was on this bike, coming down a hill at 35 miles an hour when the last thing that went through my head was "I wonder how I'm going to get around this cat in the middle of the road" The next few weeks are fuzzy but plenty of bones were broken this time and I spent 3 nights at the hospital.
But the bike was OK.
It has gone through some wheels, replaced some parts that are more to my liking but everything else is the same. Still in my bibs waiting for the shower to warm up after another ride

My bikes in order...........................

After I'd gotten divorced, my motorcycle broke down, and I didn't have the money to fix it. So, just happened by a bike shop a couple of days after getting my tax refund (300 bucks), and came across a Univega Aeropace SIS. I thought to myself, what the hell, I used to ride bikes as a kid, an 7 miles ain't that far to commute, so I bought the bike.

A year later, the same bike shop started to get in higher quality bikes, and the owner told me that since I had taken such good care of my Aeropace, he'd be willing to let me get 150 trade in value on a new bike, so I got a Univega Neuvotech 450 aluminum.

6 months after that, the bike shop started to carry Trek, and I saw a Trek 2300 composite (same as yours probably), and had to have it because of the neon green and yellow front and back. I like loud colors when riding, because it helps you to be seen.

Rode the hell out of the 2300 until some idiot made a left hand turn in front of me on base (Cecil Field FL in the late 80's), and screwed up my bike pretty bad. Cracked the carbon fiber main tubes pretty badly, and the frame was unrideable. He jumped out of his car and told me it was his fault, and his insurance would be more than happy to pay for a new bike. Little did he know that bikes like that are a pretty penny. When he found out how much it would cost to replace, he tried to get out of paying for it, so I took him to base court. When he told the judge he never saw me, I showed the judge pics of my bike and the neon yellow front with the neon green rear triangle, and the judge told him he had to buy me a new bike, because missing something like that on the road made it DEFINITELY his fault for not paying attention.

That's how I got the Trek 5200 all carbon bike. Rode the hell out of that one for the next several years, but had to replace the frame every year or so because the bottom bracket kept cracking. Found out later that it was because Trek used the wrong glue when they first started building the frames. The bike shop replaced 2 of them, but after the 3rd frame cracked, they pulled out the Lemond Zurich (also made by Trek), and asked me if I'd be interested in an even trade. Well, the group on the Lemond was Campagnolo Athena, and my 5200 had Shimano 600, so I jumped at the swap (always wanted a Campy groupset). Around 5 or 6 months later, I came across a Campagnolo Chorus ergo power groupset for only 650.00 (yeah, a steal at the time), so I swapped out the Athena and put the Chorus on it.

Today, I still have the Lemond with the Chorus ergopower group (9 speed cassette), Mavic Cosmic aero rims with Mavic hubset and bladed spokes (clincher tires), with Speedplay pedals (the kind that are nicknamed "lollipop pedals" because that's what they look like), and a Selle Italia titanium saddle with Modolo anatomic handlebars. By today's bike tech, it's considered a dinosaur, but it works for me, and still rides great. Haven't been on the bike in a couple of years, but am now getting serious again about riding, because I'm 58, getting a spare tire, and wanna get back to close to what I was in my late 30's/early 40's.

Canadastan - Where the government prosecutes you for saying Islam is controlled by people wishing to do harm to innocents and confiscates the life savings of anyone they don’t like without due process.

Bicycles are vehicles and should obey traffic laws.

Bicycles are vehicles and should obey traffic laws.

On this we agree. Still, if a person is capable of breaking the speed limit (which I was more than capable of in my mid 30's), it's always fun (and worth the ticket) if you can blow past a cop doing 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit. Most times, they won't bother with you as they are impressed if you can push a bicycle that fast. Even when the cops did stop me, the first thing out of their mouth was that they were impressed that I could break the speed limit on a bicycle, but I had to follow the rules, same as all the other vehicles on the road. And, because they were impressed, the only tickets I got were warning tickets. Luckily, I never got a ticket that I had to pay a fine for.

Forum List

Back