In CA the GOP Says "No" to Independent Voters

California independents have three choices for presidential primary

Why would they deny independents the opportunity to vote in their primary? Are they doing this in other modified open primary states?

There are 4.2 unaffiliated voters in CA..many of whom will not be able to get a Republican ballot if they want one.

Seems dumb.

Most states have closed primaries. Why should someone not a member of their party have a say in choosing their nominee? You realize the Democrats do the same thing, right?
Except they didn't. Democrats, Libertarians and Amrican Indepdendents are letting unaffiliated voters vote in their primary. If you're unaffiliated and go to the polls in CA, you will get a choice between a Dem, AI or Lib ballot.

Republicans have allowed the unaffiliated to vote in their primaries in the past.

That's California. I'm talking about both parties nationwide. In most states they have closed primaries and you have to be a member of the party in order to vote or caucus with that party. That's how it is in Nevada and that's how it was when I lived in Massachusetts. When I lived in South Carolina they had open primaries and anyone could choose to vote in which ever party's primary they wanted.

That's wrong...Massachusetts does NOT have a closed primary, nor does New Hampshire.

California independents have three choices for presidential primary

Why would they deny independents the opportunity to vote in their primary? Are they doing this in other modified open primary states?

There are 4.2 unaffiliated voters in CA..many of whom will not be able to get a Republican ballot if they want one.

Seems dumb.

Most states have closed primaries. Why should someone not a member of their party have a say in choosing their nominee? You realize the Democrats do the same thing, right?
Except they didn't. Democrats, Libertarians and Amrican Indepdendents are letting unaffiliated voters vote in their primary. If you're unaffiliated and go to the polls in CA, you will get a choice between a Dem, AI or Lib ballot.

Republicans have allowed the unaffiliated to vote in their primaries in the past.

That's California. I'm talking about both parties nationwide. In most states they have closed primaries and you have to be a member of the party in order to vote or caucus with that party. That's how it is in Nevada and that's how it was when I lived in Massachusetts. When I lived in South Carolina they had open primaries and anyone could choose to vote in which ever party's primary they wanted.

Yes, California, the subject of the thread. Voters in California, a modified open primary state. I am asking why, in California, the GOP would exclude those 4.2 million unaffiliated voters from voting in their primary when the Democrats did not exclude them.

What message do you think that sends independent voters?

Forum List

Back