Did your test results indicate bias and if so did this surprise you?

• My test indicated bias

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • My test did not indicate bias

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • This test is nothing but hokum

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Implicit Bias

What it is:

Thoughts and feelings are “implicit” if we are unaware of them or mistaken about their nature. We have a bias when, rather than being neutral, we have a preference for (or aversion to) a person or group of people. Thus, we use the term “implicit bias” to describe when we have attitudes towards people or associate stereotypes with them without our conscious knowledge. A fairly commonplace example of this is seen in studies that show that white people will frequently associate criminality with black people without even realizing they’re doing it.

Why it matters:
The mind sciences have found that most of our actions occur without our conscious thoughts, allowing us to function in our extraordinarily complex world. This means, however, that our implicit biases often predict how we’ll behave more accurately than our conscious values. Multiple studies have also found that those with higher implicit bias levels against black people are more likely to categorize non-weapons as weapons (such as a phone for a gun, or a comb for a knife), and in computer simulations are more likely to shoot an unarmed person. Similarly, white physicians who implicitly associated black patients with being “less cooperative” were less likely to refer black patients with acute coronary symptoms for thrombolysis for specific medical care.
The tests: Select a Test

My results:
upload_2018-8-8_8-20-13.png

But do you have an automatic preference between black americans and white americans?
I ask because there are very few "african" and "european" americans. Most of us are just "american"

Implicit Bias

What it is:

Thoughts and feelings are “implicit” if we are unaware of them or mistaken about their nature. We have a bias when, rather than being neutral, we have a preference for (or aversion to) a person or group of people. Thus, we use the term “implicit bias” to describe when we have attitudes towards people or associate stereotypes with them without our conscious knowledge. A fairly commonplace example of this is seen in studies that show that white people will frequently associate criminality with black people without even realizing they’re doing it.

Why it matters:
The mind sciences have found that most of our actions occur without our conscious thoughts, allowing us to function in our extraordinarily complex world. This means, however, that our implicit biases often predict how we’ll behave more accurately than our conscious values. Multiple studies have also found that those with higher implicit bias levels against black people are more likely to categorize non-weapons as weapons (such as a phone for a gun, or a comb for a knife), and in computer simulations are more likely to shoot an unarmed person. Similarly, white physicians who implicitly associated black patients with being “less cooperative” were less likely to refer black patients with acute coronary symptoms for thrombolysis for specific medical care.

My results:
View attachment 209174

A fairly commonplace example of this is seen in studies that show that white people will frequently associate criminality with black people without even realizing they’re doing it.

Jesse Jackson is white?

Implicit Bias

What it is:

Why it matters:

My results:
View attachment 209174
Take the test again

I like this test

Because with most tests you can beat or increase your score if you take it enough times.

Not so the IAT.

The key is - You must do it quickly.

The guy designed the test showed that he has a strong preference for whites. From what I've read about 80% of white Americans show a preference for whites. That is, it's easier for them to pair words like “love”, “peace” and “joy” with white faces and words like “terrible”, “evil” and “failure” with black faces

I like this test

Because with most tests you can beat or increase your score if you take it enough times.

Not so the IAT.

The guy designed the test showed that he has a strong preference for whites. From what I've read about 80% of white Americans show a preference for whites. That is, it's easier for them to pair words like “love”, “peace” and “joy” with white faces and words like “terrible”, “evil” and “failure” with black faces

Whites prefer whites.
Blacks prefer blacks.
Asians prefer Asians.
Welcome to Earth.

I like this test

Not so the IAT.

Actually you are likely to get wildly varying results by taking it several times.

I like this test

Not so the IAT.

Whites prefer whites.
Blacks prefer blacks.
Asians prefer Asians.
Welcome to Earth.
Not true. Around 42% of black (African Americans) showed a preference for whites. Blacks are subject to the same racist programming that everyone else is

Subconscious thought crimes :rolleyes:

Implicit Bias Gets an Explicit Debunking
By DAVID FRENCJanuary 10, 2017

..There’s no way to show that you’re immune to implicit bias, because you are by definition unaware of your own subconscious. Indeed, even if you do well on the IAT, take it again and you might flunk. I’ve taken the test at different times on different days and achieved wildly different results. Is my mind that malleable, or is the test mostly a game, a Ouija board of the mind conjuring up the ghosts of our own bigotry? After all, we’re talking about the hocus-pocus of the unconscious, the part of ourselves that we don’t even know exists.

Last week The Chronicle of Higher Education reported that researchers — including one of the founders of the IAT — from Harvard, the University of Virginia, and the University of Wisconsin–Madison had analyzed the results of hundreds of studies of the test involving almost 81,000 participants. For those who believe in the power of the unconscious, the results (to quote one of the researchers) “should be stunning.” For the rest of us, they’re unsurprising. The researchers find

that the correlation between implicit bias and discriminatory behavior appears weaker than previously thought. They also conclude that there is very little evidence that changes in implicit bias have anything to do with changes in a person’s behavior. These findings, they write, “produce a challenge for this area of research.”

You don’t say.

It turns out that even if you look at the studies advanced by the IAT’s defenders, the link between implicit bias and discriminatory behavior is “slight.” ....

Implicit Bias Debunked: Study Disputes Effects of Unconscious Prejudice | National Review

Implicit Bias

What it is:

Why it matters:

My results:
View attachment 209174
results.png

I like this test

Not so the IAT.

Whites prefer whites.
Blacks prefer blacks.
Asians prefer Asians.
Welcome to Earth.
Not true. Around 42% of black (African Americans) showed a preference for whites. Blacks are subject to the same racist programming that everyone else is
Thats why its important to reprogram yourself and program your children to prefer your own people.

racebreakdown.jpg

Last edited:
But do you have an automatic preference between black americans and white americans?
I ask because there are very few "african" and "european" americans. Most of us are just "american"

Funny how whites ignore how they call themselves German American, italian American, etc. then tell us how very few others see that except African Americans.

Implicit Bias

What it is:

Why it matters:

My results:
View attachment 209174
Take the test again

Why should she? Stating the truth about white racism is not bias.

Funny how whites ignore how they call themselves German American, italian American, etc. then tell us how very few others see that except African Americans.
I dont ignore it. Its the same thing.
Maybe you shouldnt racially generalize so much. It is pretty fucking ignorant :thup:

Implicit Bias

What it is:

Why it matters:

My results:
View attachment 209174

How about the "I can't be bothered to log in" option?

So this white dude moved to america from south africa. He was around 20 years old.
I was at a party and someone kept saying african american referring to black americans. He said, " i am already getting tired of hearing that crap. I am most likely the only african american any of you black guys have ever met"
They got pissed. He left. I laughed.
IM2

..There’s no way to show that you’re immune to implicit bias, because you are by definition unaware of your own subconscious. Indeed, even if you do well on the IAT, take it again and you might flunk. I’ve taken the test at different times on different days and achieved wildly different results. Is my mind that malleable, or is the test mostly a game, a Ouija board of the mind conjuring up the ghosts of our own bigotry? After all, we’re talking about the hocus-pocus of the unconscious, the part of ourselves that we don’t even know exists.

Last week The Chronicle of Higher Education reported that researchers — including one of the founders of the IAT — from Harvard, the University of Virginia, and the University of Wisconsin–Madison had analyzed the results of hundreds of studies of the test involving almost 81,000 participants. For those who believe in the power of the unconscious, the results (to quote one of the researchers) “should be stunning.” For the rest of us, they’re unsurprising. The researchers find

that the correlation between implicit bias and discriminatory behavior appears weaker than previously thought. They also conclude that there is very little evidence that changes in implicit bias have anything to do with changes in a person’s behavior. These findings, they write, “produce a challenge for this area of research.”

You don’t say.

It turns out that even if you look at the studies advanced by the IAT’s defenders, the link between implicit bias and discriminatory behavior is “slight.” ....

Implicit Bias Debunked: Study Disputes Effects of Unconscious Prejudice | National Review

The national review?

:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

Of course implicit racial bias doesn't exist to "conservatives". Unless you are talking about white racism.

So this white dude moved to america from south africa. He was around 20 years old.
I was at a party and someone kept saying african american referring to black americans. He said, " i am already getting tired of hearing that crap. I am most likely the only african american any of you black guys have ever met"
IM2
Bullshit. You cant be white and be an African american dummy. If anything he is a south African-american.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
IM2

He was dutch not African.

You don’t say.

The national review?

:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

Of course implicit racial bias doesn't exist to "conservatives". Unless you are talking about white racism.

The national review?

The words they use are too big for you?

Forum List

Back