Impact of the Trump "tariff wars".....

Like a huge aircraft carrier, the U.S. economy changes direction in a very slow pattern.

The impact of Trump's moronic tariff wars will not be felt in the next couple of months; rather, the impact will become apparent just before the 2018 midterms, resulting in a negative "unforeseen consequence" for the republican party.

From dairy farmers in Wisconsin to auto workers in South Carolina, the once "applauded" demagoguery spewed by Trump, will be countered by the stark reality of loss of income for the once "loyal" Trump voters.

Wake up America.......you don't run the world largest economy as you would some shady and corrupt real estate deal in New Jersey.
Nat, you guys make so many predictions that fail, lets slow down.
The fact is, he's using our leverage to make better deals. They didn't think he was serious, now they know he is, lets see how it shakes out.....I'm betting our trading partners will capitulate, even China, they lose our market, they are in serious trouble.
If he'd just gone at it with China you would have a point. As it is he just fucked us all in the ass.

IT'S ON: Trump's trade war is set to kick off with tariffs on $34 billion worth of Chinese goods

Trump - idiot.
Yeah, he's a moron....we should let them walk all over us....good plan.

so?

youre letting Trump walk over you every day.
What? Can you guys ever talk about the subjects? How is Trump walking all over me? He may be walking all over you, but I like his tax cut, I like killing the ACA mandate, I voted for that.

Most serious people know this. Most serious people know not to project too far.

Just for a little fairness sake.......
I "projected" 2 to 3 months from today.....Is THAT too far???

(Heck, Trump is already campaigning for 2020.............lol)

The fact is, he's using our leverage to make better deals. They didn't think he was serious, now they know he is, lets see how it shakes out.....I'm betting our trading partners will capitulate, even China, they lose our market, they are in serious trouble.

My fear boils down to this.......

If China is in need of soy beans...........Brazil is ready to export its surplus to them

If Mexico and Canada need our dairy products....Argentina is ready to pick up the slack

If the rest of the planet was using CA wines.....Italy, France and Spain have a surplus of that

etc.......

The loss of our clients from our exports may become permanent as other countries are eager to pick up the void.

Things are already changing. Stock market is struggling to maintain gains made last year, inflation rising, interest rates going up... The indicators are there for all to see.

From the conservative WSJ

The Trump Tariff Layoffs Begin - WSJ
From what I've been able to google myself, I think negative impact to US commodities (pork, lumber, soy, etc .... fungible goods that are basically the same regardless of what country produces or consumes them) will be minimal. And that's not what the MSM has "fed" us.

Manftred goods remain another story. If this really was about Trump getting us a better deal on cars or steel, I'd be ok. But I stopped believing that weeks ago. He, for some reason or another, wants to blow up Nato and out alliances with W. Europe and Canada.

We are the biggest consumer market (unless one counts the EU as a single market, in which case it's pretty much a "tie.) Perhaps he subscribes to the Putin model in which nationalistic citizens are satisfied with declining purchasing power are domestic goods.

BTW, Trump has another $200B in tariffs against China in the works and $300B after that.....if they're smart they'll yell "uncle" or Trump will have their ass in a sling by Halloween.

Uh-Huh along with a bunch of U.S. asses.

… on the bright side, at least it won't be lonely in that "sling".

If China is in need of soy beans...........Brazil is ready to export its surplus to them

If Mexico and Canada need our dairy products....Argentina is ready to pick up the slack

If the rest of the planet was using CA wines.....Italy, France and Spain have a surplus of that

etc.......

The loss of our clients from our exports may become permanent as other countries are eager to pick up the void.
Exactly so. But with agricultural commodities

etc.......

exactly so. We get killed on commodities that we export a lot more of than we consume. Like Soybeans. And it will be permanent.

Germany is looking into concessions about cars now. no increasing their tarrfis, but reducing them. It will work and why?

Wrong !!!!...............Germany is actually trumping Trump......

Germany is looking to establish a ZERO tariff on its cars' export TO the U.S. and cars' import FROM the U.S.

If that were to happen, few Germans would want our huge, gas-guzzling cars, while German cars to the U.S. are very popular and the cost of such cars would DROP dramatically since tariffs would be eliminated by the deal......

CAREFUL........the "art of the deal" is NOT just a Trumpism

Like a huge aircraft carrier, the U.S. economy changes direction in a very slow pattern.

The impact of Trump's moronic tariff wars will not be felt in the next couple of months; rather, the impact will become apparent just before the 2018 midterms, resulting in a negative "unforeseen consequence" for the republican party.

From dairy farmers in Wisconsin to auto workers in South Carolina, the once "applauded" demagoguery spewed by Trump, will be countered by the stark reality of loss of income for the once "loyal" Trump voters.

Wake up America.......you don't run the world largest economy as you would some shady and corrupt real estate deal in New Jersey.
Things are already changing. Stock market is struggling to maintain gains made last year, inflation rising, interest rates going up... The indicators are there for all to see.

Youre hoping

That way the space will be clear and ready for the next lunatic dimocrat’s laugher, er I mean contribution to that old but true definition of insanity. Thanks, sport.

This from an ignorant Trump moron.......Go to bed, this discussion is beyond your usual Trump ass licking.

If he'd just gone at it with China you would have a point. As it is he just fucked us all in the ass.
At least you hope so

Germany is looking into concessions about cars now. no increasing their tarrfis, but reducing them. It will work and why?

Germany is looking to establish a ZERO tariff on its cars' export TO the U.S. and cars' import FROM the U.S.

If that were to happen, few Germans would want our huge, gas-guzzling cars, while German cars to the U.S. are very popular and the cost of such cars would DROP dramatically since tariffs would be eliminated by the deal......

Ford already said it was halting sedan production IN THE US. Not in the EU.

etc.......

Ok, now those are rational and valid reasons.
Here is the thing, they all need access to our market, which means if they don't let us sell soy beans, we said no more tvs in the US,
the thing is we hold the cards in this deal, yes it will be confusing, scary and might even see a bit of a dip early, but that's them testing us. When they know (if they already don't) that we're serious and will shut off our market, they will play ball. And for the EU, add in the fact we are their military and it just makes our position that much stronger.
If Trump was asking for unreasonable actions, then I would be worried, but he's not. He's implementing the golden rule. do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Except they are the ones screwing us, so I think after a short bit of testing, they will back down. AND we'll see even more crap in foreign countries.

It's weird because I was pro NAFTA in the 90s, and the demcrats were anti NAFTA for the unions and other reasons. In this instance my side including me was wrong, and the reason for that is I thought it would remove all the barriers, but it didn't, which is why it's a really bad deal, especially for us.

Well you are correct about the tariffs, but we charge 2.5% and they charge 10%.
If our cars don't sell, why charge that? Why not go for the no tariffs?
Our cars will sell, some people like a comfortable ride and a big car. Also we do sell small ones that have good mileage, they'd buy those too.
I was in Rome and saw quite a few Fords.

The New York Times writes:

“I would like to tell the president, ‘Man, you are messing up our market,’” said Kevin Scott, a soybean farmer in South Dakota and the secretary of the American Soybean Association. The idea of changing Nafta, he said, “gives us a lot of heartburn in farm country.”

Scott voted for Trump, but losing the export markets of China and Mexico will be devastating to American soybean farmers.

And farmers aren’t the only supporters Trump is screwing with—his random shoot-from-the-hip trade policies are causing anguish across an array of Trump-friendly industries. More than anything, that’s because he’s creating widespread chaos for farmers, manufacturers, the energy industry, and others.

The New York Times writes:

“I would like to tell the president, ‘Man, you are messing up our market,’” said Kevin Scott, a soybean farmer in South Dakota and the secretary of the American Soybean Association. The idea of changing Nafta, he said, “gives us a lot of heartburn in farm country.”

Scott voted for Trump, but losing the export markets of China and Mexico will be devastating to American soybean farmers.

And farmers aren’t the only supporters Trump is screwing with—his random shoot-from-the-hip trade policies are causing anguish across an array of Trump-friendly industries. More than anything, that’s because he’s creating widespread chaos for farmers, manufacturers, the energy industry, and others.
Nat, I said they will have some short term loss.....it's the bigger picture.

Terms of Service Violation

China Plans Up to $200 Billion in Trade Concessions, but Skepticism Abounds

They are looking to deal, Xi and Trump are friendly, so I think we'll get one, this is just pre negotiation posturing we're seeing now.

Most serious people know this. Most serious people know not to project too far.

Just for a little fairness sake.......
I "projected" 2 to 3 months from today.....Is THAT too far???

(Heck, Trump is already campaigning for 2020.............lol)
For those of who have to take this stuff seriously, yes, it's too far.

Nat, I said they will have some short term loss.....it's the bigger picture.

The reality of the looming 2018 midterms is in 4 short months.

We'll see how "tolerant" red states' voters who backed Trump will be by then.

For those of who have to take

That English language is a bitch.....lol
Yes, I forgot the word "us". I do stuff like that now and then, as we all do.

So, for those of us who have to take this stuff seriously, 2 or 3 months is too far to project.

Then there are people like you, who communicate only to troll and attack, like children.

Forum List

Back