I'm telling my story because people fail to understand how serious this is

Our correctional system is fucked up, no denying that. I work for a county registrar and CA election law mandates that the Superior court provide a list of "convicted felons" every six months...except it turns out that many on that list are not actually convicted and have had their cases plead down. I even had a woman call us last year that had her conviction overturned in 1996...and yet she wound up on a goddamn list in 2012 that would have taken away her right to vote.

Haven't you read the responses in this thread? That's her fault.

A strange tale.

I can't imagine that happening out here...not for something so trivial.

A Missourian would LOL that in California they have the audacity to arrest someone and charge them with a felony for carrying a knife.

Here, a knife is an accessory.

Anyway...it sounds to me like your problem isn't with Nevada, or Sears or the HVAC supplier...it sounds like your problem is with California.

You need to hire a lawyer to get your conviction record in order.

It sounds to me like California is releasing false information...perhaps because of a clerical error...that you HAVE a felony conviction.

Have you requested a background check on yourself from California?

In Pa a knife is an eating utensil. Heaven forbid they ever searched my house...

So now you're dogged by a felony record only you're NOT a felon?

Reads like a KAFKA novel, wolf.

You aren't a closet NAZI by any chance, are you?

I ask not because I care but because I suspect that something other than your NON FELONY record is screwing you.

There are official government records and then too I suspect that corporations have UNOFFICIAL records about people, too.

Sounds to me like you're on one of those.

It sounds to me, reading his tedious narrative, is that he hid the fact he had a felony conviction from his employer, his employer was still willing to work with him, but he quit anyway and made a stink about it.

What is that old saying, "Don't burn your bridges behind you"...

And honestly, it sounded like a lot of places would have hired him if it didn't require him to carry a weapon, and given the way the guy rants here and other posts, I wouldn't give him a weapon, either.

Now, for those playing along at home, I write resumes for people as a side business. My advice would be that you disclose up front that you had this thing when you were a juvenile, you thought it was expunged but there's a record of it.

Correct.

Most employers are interested in honesty, not felony convictions.

So when one honestly says they don't have a felony conviction and the governent lies and says they do, how does that help anything?

[

There was no felony conviction! God and goddess, read the fucking post and THINK! Use that thing on your shoulders for something more than a fucking hat rack!

Yawn. He was arrested and charged with a felony, and plead down to a misdemenor.

I wouldn't hire him to carry a gun in my community, and I wouldn't hire him to go into people's houses to do HVAC and I wouldn't imagine any other company doing it, either.

Again, the problem is, he didn't disclose the problem up front. And he copped an attitude when he got caught.

That's not a felony conviction. That's a misdemeanor conviction.

There wasnt a problem to disclose.

I think it is unlikely all these employers and two state governments would go through this much trouble if all he had in his pocket was a swiss army knife.

Individuals get the benefit of the doubt not the fucking government.

Only if you are a loon who thinks the government is EEEEEEEEEvil.

housepetsaslibertarians.png

Like that crazy George Washingon guy.

Has it occured to you to go into a line of work that doesn't require you to not be a convicted felon.

You are in two lines of work where the companies would be in a LOT of trouble if they hired a felon and something bad happened.

It also sounds like you didn't volunteer this information, and they found out about it later in at least some of the cases you described. You should probably always be upfront about this sort of thing, because it just gets you in trouble later when they do find out.

But he isn't a felon. And one shouldn't become a felon merely for exercising their Second amendment rights.

and here's the thing. I will bet there are employers out there who share your same bizarre interpretion of the Militia Amendment.

But none of them like when an applicant straight out LIES to them.

I know Ppl in this situation and it sucks. The problem is that in America we lock up Sooooo many of our citizens this is replayed over and over. It's not fair Nd anyone who has been or knows someone who is in this situation knows that.

The "keep your head up" crowd will just pretend that a positive attitude trumps all. It doesn't.

Has it occured to you to go into a line of work that doesn't require you to not be a convicted felon.

You are in two lines of work where the companies would be in a LOT of trouble if they hired a felon and something bad happened.

It also sounds like you didn't volunteer this information, and they found out about it later in at least some of the cases you described. You should probably always be upfront about this sort of thing, because it just gets you in trouble later when they do find out.

But he isn't a felon. And one shouldn't become a felon merely for exercising their Second amendment rights.

and here's the thing. I will bet there are employers out there who share your same bizarre interpretion of the Militia Amendment.

When you aren't a felon and tell them you arent a felon. You aren't lying to them.

When you aren't a felon and tell them you arent a felon. You aren't lying to them.

I give you some slack, because being a Mormon and all, your whole life philosophy is built on "willing suspension of disbelief".

Point is, this keeps coming up on his background check. Like or not, it does. If he can't get it legally expunged, he might as well address it head on.

Again, this is my specialty. I've written over 200 professional resumes for people as well as my own. If you hide something, and they find out about it, it's over. Fair or not.

Full disclosure. Up front. Saves a lot of trouble.

Forum List

Back