I'm telling my story because people fail to understand how serious this is

my record is adult not juvinile.
under the rules of my expungement i'm not required to report my record to any employer unless it's military, police or government.
...but employers consider that lieing.

the NCIC database is a collection of arrest records that resulted in some kind of conviction.
some background checking companies, and with loopholes with state work permits, give employers access to these arrest records.

when employers find anything , your application goes in the trash, they don't care if it's 20 years ago or if a judge said it's expunged.

under the rules of my expungement i'm not required to report my record to any employer unless it's military, police or government.

the NCIC database is a collection of arrest records that resulted in some kind of conviction.
some background checking companies, and with loopholes with state work permits, give employers access to these arrest records.

when employers find anything , your application goes in the trash, they don't care if it's 20 years ago or if a judge said it's expunged.

Then don't lie.

What you seem to have the problem with is that you don't disclose it, they find out about it on their own, and then they wonder if they can trust you.

If you disclose up front, yeah, probably about 80% won't consider you, but the other 20% will be happy you were honest and upfront about it. And if you explain it very nicely, "Yeah, I carried a knife because I didn't really understand the rules, and the police arrested me for it", most sensible people would understand.

You lie about it, it shows up on a background check, they will assume you lied and then wonder what else you are lying about.

[

Just like you to trust a corrupt government over a citizen

I think it is unlikely all these employers and two state governments would go through this much trouble if all he had in his pocket was a swiss army knife.

Individuals get the benefit of the doubt not the fucking government.

Only if you are a loon who thinks the government is EEEEEEEEEvil.

housepetsaslibertarians.png

I realize smart-ass responses like "tldr;" are a copout. But it says something about you when you open with a huge post formatted to be as in-your-face as possible. It says you think your views are way more important than the other people on this board. And maybe they are. But ultimately, that's for others to judge, and when you make that presumption right out of the gate, few will bother.

Last edited:

That's really a fantastic cartoon. It speaks volumes about how many people view themselves, and their relationship with government.

Individuals get the benefit of the doubt not the fucking government.

Not evil just not trustworthy. There's a difference.

Hmmm... not really.

Frankly, the guy's own narrative, makes him sound a bit unstable. I can honestly see the first time this getting him in trouble, and giving him a mulligan.

But if he keeps denying his conviction and he keeps getting caught doing it, and wonders why no one will hire him, I think he's really his own problem, not the mean old government.

This si a good outline as to the way the system can get ahold of you and then getting away is almost impossible. The entire point of serving your time is that you have paid the debt you owe. After that there should be nothing left, no record no anything unless there is a continuing order (like a limitation on firearm ownership). Essentially, the government should not be giving this information out at all.

That's really a fantastic cartoon. It speaks volumes about how many people view themselves, and their relationship with government.

I'm not sure about that aspect, but it pretty clearly illustrates what a lot of liberals think about their relationship with government. They actually seem to like being kept like pet animals.

I'm not sure about that aspect, but it pretty clearly illustrates what a lot of liberals think about their relationship with government. They actually seem to like being kept like pet animals.

That was my point.

Not evil just not trustworthy. There's a difference.

Hmmm... not really.

Frankly, the guy's own narrative, makes him sound a bit unstable. I can honestly see the first time this getting him in trouble, and giving him a mulligan.

But if he keeps denying his conviction and he keeps getting caught doing it, and wonders why no one will hire him, I think he's really his own problem, not the mean old government.

All this butt hurt from the same faction that tells us that once a convict is released from prison, regardless of the reason they were there, they have "paid their debt" and should now be employed without prejudice. Seems to me that the OP complied with the terms set forth and is now being punished despite his compliance.
So, it's OK to force employers to hire child rapists to work at their daycare facility, or a bank to hire an embezzler as a teller, or a thief as a warehouseman...as long as they have served their sentences?

A background check will cough up any arrests you have had. Does not matter if you were not ultimately convicted, many employers will reject you if you have been arrested.

You did not state in your OP the circumstances of your arrest. I'm sure the cops don't have x-ray eyes, so you had to have done something to be arrested with a knife.

Regardless, you can pay a lawyer about $400 to get your arrest removed from your record if there was no conviction.

Yes, that sucks. Yes, that's totally unfair. Blah, blah, blah.

You can pay the $400, or you can whine for the rest of your life. Your call.

This si a good outline as to the way the system can get ahold of you and then getting away is almost impossible. The entire point of serving your time is that you have paid the debt you owe. After that there should be nothing left, no record no anything unless there is a continuing order (like a limitation on firearm ownership). Essentially, the government should not be giving this information out at all.

Or how about this. Someone has his conviction for knife weilding. It was all the cops could get him on, although they suspected him of much worse. But it gets expunged and some HVAC company hires him. He's putting in a New High Efficiency Unit for the Walker family when Mrs. Walker smiles at him the wrong way, and he knifes Mr. Walker and rapes the shit out of Mrs. Walker.

Oh, Damn, says the HVAC company. Why didn't someone tell us about this guy's criminal record?

Now, again, I write resumes for people, and I think the fact he's in his early 30's and has a dozen jobs or employers on his resume would be a red flag before he even gets to the background check.

[

All this butt hurt from the same faction that tells us that once a convict is released from prison, regardless of the reason they were there, they have "paid their debt" and should now be employed without prejudice. Seems to me that the OP complied with the terms set forth and is now being punished despite his compliance.
So, it's OK to force employers to hire child rapists to work at their daycare facility, or a bank to hire an embezzler as a teller, or a thief as a warehouseman...as long as they have served their sentences?

I'm not sure what "faction" that's supposed to be, exactly.

I would have no probelm with an employer excluding a person under the circumstances you list. Nor am I aware of anyone who would advocate hiring a child rapist at a day-care center, much less forcing one to be hired. This sounds like the kind of hysterics you guys on the right go through.

Here's the thing. I don't think what's getting the OP in trouble is his conviction. I think it's his deception and his attitude.

He'd save himself a lot of trouble if he said upfront, "Yeah, when I was 19, the cops caught me with a knife, and I was unclear what the law in my state actually was, so I plead down to a misdemeanor. But since then I've been on the straight an narrow."

Has it occured to you to go into a line of work that doesn't require you to not be a convicted felon.

You are in two lines of work where the companies would be in a LOT of trouble if they hired a felon and something bad happened.

It also sounds like you didn't volunteer this information, and they found out about it later in at least some of the cases you described. You should probably always be upfront about this sort of thing, because it just gets you in trouble later when they do find out.

But he isn't a felon. And one shouldn't become a felon merely for exercising their Second amendment rights.

Forum List

Back