I'm retired in 23 days - Strange feeling

I'll be a fresh 55 with a steady income. Nothing to write home about, but much more than I need for certain, plus what's left of the mortgage is cake.

The days have turned to hours, this is a very strange feeling. I've worked since I was 10 and work is my nature. That said, I've been stuck in an office and bureaucracy for decades. I never found it that rewarding, and chose not to pursue some carrots. Part I'm an idiot, part principle, and part they were too easy a taking and not "worth the squeeze". But I'm lucky, my body feels great and I still enjoy heavy labor.

I'll go out uneventful, no party etc. It's just my nature. I'm real popular with many, while some of the brass and "players" think I'm an asshole. I consider both angles a compliment.

I do have some projects lined up, primarily restoring a classic I've owned since forever. It's in the works, going to be very cool.

I retired five years ago at 46. Here's some advice from the experienced.
Play out all the hobbies you thought you liked and would play throughout your retirement. Then come up with new ones you never even thought of during your working years.
When those play out think of things you always wanted to do but you thought were impossible...you'll find with the time you have all the time you need to make them come true.
And my final advice? Dont sit around and become a vegetable.

I'll be a fresh 55 with a steady income. Nothing to write home about, but much more than I need for certain, plus what's left of the mortgage is cake.

The days have turned to hours, this is a very strange feeling. I've worked since I was 10 and work is my nature. That said, I've been stuck in an office and bureaucracy for decades. I never found it that rewarding, and chose not to pursue some carrots. Part I'm an idiot, part principle, and part they were too easy a taking and not "worth the squeeze". But I'm lucky, my body feels great and I still enjoy heavy labor.

I'll go out uneventful, no party etc. It's just my nature. I'm real popular with many, while some of the brass and "players" think I'm an asshole. I consider both angles a compliment.

I do have some projects lined up, primarily restoring a classic I've owned since forever. It's in the works, going to be very cool.

I'd get an RV and spend several months driving all over the U.S. and Canada, visiting every state and province.

That's another side of the equation, but would involve something I'm not prepared to talk about at the moment.

I'd get an RV and spend several months driving all over the U.S. and Canada, visiting every state and province.

That's another side of the equation, but would involve something I'm not prepared to talk about at the moment.

It's okay, we understand. But now that you are retired, it's time to kick the alien to the curb.

5431cf39f85431a046e69ba2729cebde.jpg

I shoveled driveways and delivered papers riding around on my banana bike when I was about 11 or 12. At 16 I worked construction which convinced me college might be a good idea. The best job I had as a teenager was working at a golf course. Free golf and range balls, Heck yeah! Then I was a bagger in a grocery store with mostly older Black men which was quite the experience :) During college I worked as a math tutor for play money.

Heck yes. My mother's boyfriend opened a driving range, and we were paid in sandwiches and soda pop. I was 13, and could hit the ball lights out. Driving the cart to collect balls. It was cool, and when I was done, swim in the pool at the apts. with my friends.

Best job I've EVER had was managing a drive-through car wash, 1981-83. It was a piece of shit and I was the only employee for a long while. 70 hours a week and I LOVED it. The owners really took care of me. I was 20ish, and had come out a drug phase. Bad cocaine and naughty Cherokee Indian girlfriend. Trust me, there's a reason Indians shouldn't drink. Good FN times however. Met a lot of great people. LSD, bad, work good. Incidentally, I bagged groceries too, 3-4 different places.

I had one of these dude:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet ride, that banana's all tricked out! Mine was more the garden variety 5 speed.

Yeah Schwinn Krate was top line in the day, but not exactly practical. That's when we had money (reference apartments). I liked my brother's better, he had the pea picker. An original Krate in prime condition runs about 4K last I checked.

Congrats! I've been retired for a while now and it never gets old:banana:

The best part of retirement is nobody is breathing down you neck for a deadline. If you don't finish today, it'll get done tomorrow, or the next day.

I retired at 55 and it lasted 8 months

It is like summer vacation at first but once the winter started, it was just boring

The best part of retirement is nobody is breathing down you neck for a deadline. If you don't finish today, it'll get done tomorrow, or the next day.

That is how it was when I was retired. When I was working, I pushed to finish projects by the end of the weekend. When you are retired there is no timeline and many projects just sat

Congrats?

I would be bored to death. I'm hoping to run my business right till the end.

You better find something to do.

Forum List

Back