If you were an ambitious immigrant moving to America, which state would you choose to settle in for overall opportunity, freedom, accountable govt etc

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
It would be interesting to glean how Americans themselves would answer this question. I've seen ads promoted in Canada by various states over the years. Now we have other provinces also trying to lure talented Canadians away from bankrupt Toronto..

I don't know that the Dominicans would be as open to giving up their half of the island.
Actually the best thing that could happen to Haiti is just line up cruise ships, put the Haitians on them and take them to W. Africa, and then hand the keys to Haiti to DR. Then just bulldoze everything.

Democrats usually waste their electoral majorities. So it’s shocking when the party uses its power to actually pass progressive and pro-worker legislation, as it just did in Michigan — including repealing the state’s right-to-work law.

In a single day alone, ignoring the anguished cries of their Republican counterparts, Michigan’s Democrat-controlled legislature passed a new gun control law, voted to repeal the state’s unenforceable abortion ban, and enshrined protections for LGBTQ citizens. Significantly, legislation to end the state’s Snyder-era right-to-work law was just passed through the Michigan house and senate and is now on its way to Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s desk for approval.

Democratic representative Regina Weiss, the bill’s lead sponsor in the house, made a forceful speech in favor of its passage earlier this month, arguing: “Right-to-work was never about freedom — it was simply about control,” quoting Martin Luther King Jr’s famous declaration, “In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as ‘right to work.’ It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights.”

Other Democrats, like Representative Joey Andrews, have similarly mounted a full-throated case for workers’ rights and against right to work, which Andrews rightly calls “part of a larger political strategy envisioned by employers, advocated by their allied network of lobbyists and think tanks.”

Particularly in light of recent history, these developments are worth celebrating. Having won a governing trifecta for the first time in nearly half a century, Michigan Democrats are moving with real urgency to implement a progressive and pro-worker agenda. And rather than equivocating or trying to frame that agenda in purely managerial terms, liberal lawmakers like Weiss, Camilleri, and Andrews are actually defending it with clarity and ideological confidence.
Elected Democrats winning political power and wielding it to expand basic rights while rolling back draconian legislation imposed by the Right. What a thought.

The Trans Health Equity Act just passed in Maryland 31-15! It mandates coverage for modern trans procedures! If medically necessary, things like hair removal, Facial surgery, voice therapy will be covered by Medicaid! Maryland is now one of the TOP states for trans healthcare!

FrtUcgVWIAExRlV

The Trans Health Equity Act just passed in Maryland 31-15! It mandates coverage for modern trans procedures! If medically necessary, things like hair removal, Facial surgery, voice therapy will be covered by Medicaid! Maryland is now one of the TOP states for trans healthcare!

FrtUcgVWIAExRlV
Sounds enticing.

It's pretty much the most free state.

It's over four times the size of the state I live in now.
Yeah I thought it scored well on libertarian rankings. My.memory might be off though. The only famous person I've heard of from there is Stephen King I believe.

Yeah I thought it scored well on libertarian rankings. My.memory might be off though. The only famous person I've heard of from there is Stephen King I believe.

I'm not a libertarian. But there's a lot of reasons I like new Hampshire. ;)

Only republicans are welcome in Texas
Not exactly what is happening.
The irony is so blatant.
Democrats fleeing liberal ran cities, huge numbers going to Texas where there are conservative ran cities. Then they will all vote Democrat, eventually Texas cities are sure to become liberal ran. And they recreate what they all are fleeing from.
You just can't make this shit up.

Forum List

Back