If you have a job

Very possibly, yes. You know nothing about unemployment
It is possible, of course. But is it relevant when measuring economic ACTIVITY for that month? A person who is not trying to work will not get a job, no matter how much he wants one. Want or not want is irrelevant to the actual state of the job market.

No, there are a significant percent of discouraged workers, it makes a big difference
Why? There are 8.8 million people who tried and failed to find work between February and March. That tells us something about how hard it is to find work.
That 738,000 discouraged workers didn't get a job because they didn't try to get a job doesn't tell me anything about how hard it is to find work.

That people think there is no hope of getting a job doesn’t tell you anything? You aren’t listening very hard, are you?
No, what people think does not tell me what reality is

Strawman

U-6 went down in March.

Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

Edgetho conveniently started his graph at the 2005 plateau. But pull back further and you get this:

wrdumg.jpg

Looks like Clinton wins! lol

It is possible, of course. But is it relevant when measuring economic ACTIVITY for that month? A person who is not trying to work will not get a job, no matter how much he wants one. Want or not want is irrelevant to the actual state of the job market.

No, there are a significant percent of discouraged workers, it makes a big difference
Why? There are 8.8 million people who tried and failed to find work between February and March. That tells us something about how hard it is to find work.
That 738,000 discouraged workers didn't get a job because they didn't try to get a job doesn't tell me anything about how hard it is to find work.

That people think there is no hope of getting a job doesn’t tell you anything? You aren’t listening very hard, are you?

Strawman
How on earth is that a straw man? Yes of course the discouraged reveal some information and a source of potential labor, but they give no information in the actual labor market

What part of capitalism do you not understand?

I've read Hayek (not Selma) (oh, and 'von' just means 'from' in German so I usually exclude it), some of Keynes (May-Nard!!), most of Marx (who was trained as a lawyer and not as an economist) and some of Schumpeter (if you read Marx, you gotta read Schumpeter) Mises and a few others that I can't think of right now....

Plus, I was in the Financial Service Industry for 20 years. Did pretty good for myself, too. Not rich. FAR from it. But I retired at age 52.

How about you?

Illustrate to us all how brilliant you are :)

Jesus isn't this about the 10th career you've claimed to have, when you needed it for a topic? lol

btw, Hayek supported a guaranteed minimum income.

Strawman
How on earth is that a straw man? Yes of course the discouraged reveal some information and a source of potential labor, but they give no information in the actual labor market

kaz always blurts out strawman! when he's been had. Apparently it's RWnut for uncle!

Why work when you can go on welfare, get food, clothing, shelter, health care and all for free, with money for tattoos left over.

Ain't "fundamental transformation" wonderful.

In the meantime, let Iran worry about what to do with the bomb, and let Putin decide what and what not NATO countries can do.

A relief to all concerned.

And about 197 million in the labor force. The population is bigger...so both numbers are bigger.
:cuckoo:
What part are you not understanding? This is second grade math.

You're giving me a headache. Do yourself a favor and actually do some research on the topic, listening to and spewing the talking points only gives people a headache
Ummmm, I worked professionally with these numbers for over a decade. I assure you I know far more about how they are constructed and what they mean than you ever will.

But go ahead, try an actual argument.....The OP is claiming that the LEVEL of not in the labor force is bad and that it is significant that it is at an "all time high." The Employment level is also at an all time high.

So....is the level important or not?

Degree in economics I know BS when I see it, you're full of it

Then you should know what it means when U-6 is falling.

Capitalism baby, and retired people.
united-states-population-pyramid-2014.gif
So it will help if we deport all those young illegals?
Only a retard thinks illegals steal jobs.

You need to make up your minds. Are they stealing jobs, or are they stealing welfare?

We had full employment in 2007, with just as many illegals as we have now. Then something really bad happened from 2007 to 2009 that caused all this unemployment. Maybe you heard about it. It was in all the papers.

Hint: It had nothing to do with Mexicans.
I love those hard working Mexicans at El Nopal.

They know me, I tip them VERY well, not a one can speak jackshit of English, but, I point at the menu and everything works out fine.

I just wish it was not 25 miles away; I ate there at 11 this morning, and want MORE!!!

Ten dollar ticket, four dollar tip, and it is cheaper than cooking at home, and there are no dishes to clean.

Yo jerk off...if the 20 million illegals were not here, who would do the jobs they are doing now? You have one week to come up with the answer.

I'm a lot smarter than you, so I don't need a week, but thanks.

If the 20 million weren't here, a great many of those jobs would be unfilled. An American worker is not going to leave his suburban house, jump into his commuter car, and drive a hundred miles to pick strawberries for a few weeks, and then travel another hundred miles to pick lettuce, and then drive a few hundred miles to pick asparagus.

It's call migrant work for a reason, and every prosperous nation has a large immigrant labor force.

Our problem is that we have not matched the immigrant labor demand with a properly balanced immigrant labor supply.

If a farmer needs 50 laborers and only 20 legal ones are available and willing, then he is going to have no choice but to hire some illegal labor. You idiots who want to punish that farmer for hiring illegals are making him pay the price for a completely dysfunctional government quota program.

Every time there has been an illegal labor crackdown in the farming industry, crops rot on the branch and in the soil. Americans are not rushing to fill the void, even when wages are increased.

Sorry, but it wasn't Mexicans who threw all those people out of work in the 2007-2009 crash. Only a retard would willfully choose to ignore that reality and focus way, way, way, way out of proportion on Mexicans.

Do illegal Mexicans displace some American laborers? Sure, in the construction industry they displace low skilled blacks.

But if you want to focus on the vast majority of JOBS, which is what this topic is about, then you are a bigoted retard if your first complaint is about Mexicans.

You mention "a great many of those jobs would be unfilled". You also seem to focus on the agricultural sector but I can't find mention of 20 million seasonal workers. Can you please help to clarify where these illegals are working?

Construction, highway maintenance, power line clearing, and timber industry to name a few.

Anywhere hard, sweaty work is being done, Hispanics are taking up the slack.

You're giving me a headache. Do yourself a favor and actually do some research on the topic, listening to and spewing the talking points only gives people a headache
Ummmm, I worked professionally with these numbers for over a decade. I assure you I know far more about how they are constructed and what they mean than you ever will.

But go ahead, try an actual argument.....The OP is claiming that the LEVEL of not in the labor force is bad and that it is significant that it is at an "all time high." The Employment level is also at an all time high.

So....is the level important or not?

Degree in economics I know BS when I see it, you're full of it
And I have a degree in Economics as well. But you're not making a point or argument. I have no idea what you are objecting to or what you are claiming.

The number of people Not in the Labor Force is at an all time high. That is meaningless. The number of people employed is also at an all time high. That is also meaningless.

The population is growing...tossing around levles as if they have inherent meaning is ridiculous.
So Obabble's claims are ridiculous. Thanks for that.

EVERY thing about Obabble is ridiculous then to top it all off with his dumb downed supporters parrot his BS
Grubercrats, just stupid Grubercrats.

Yo jerk off...if the 20 million illegals were not here, who would do the jobs they are doing now? You have one week to come up with the answer.

I'm a lot smarter than you, so I don't need a week, but thanks.

If the 20 million weren't here, a great many of those jobs would be unfilled. An American worker is not going to leave his suburban house, jump into his commuter car, and drive a hundred miles to pick strawberries for a few weeks, and then travel another hundred miles to pick lettuce, and then drive a few hundred miles to pick asparagus.

It's call migrant work for a reason, and every prosperous nation has a large immigrant labor force.

Our problem is that we have not matched the immigrant labor demand with a properly balanced immigrant labor supply.

If a farmer needs 50 laborers and only 20 legal ones are available and willing, then he is going to have no choice but to hire some illegal labor. You idiots who want to punish that farmer for hiring illegals are making him pay the price for a completely dysfunctional government quota program.

Every time there has been an illegal labor crackdown in the farming industry, crops rot on the branch and in the soil. Americans are not rushing to fill the void, even when wages are increased.

Sorry, but it wasn't Mexicans who threw all those people out of work in the 2007-2009 crash. Only a retard would willfully choose to ignore that reality and focus way, way, way, way out of proportion on Mexicans.

Do illegal Mexicans displace some American laborers? Sure, in the construction industry they displace low skilled blacks.

But if you want to focus on the vast majority of JOBS, which is what this topic is about, then you are a bigoted retard if your first complaint is about Mexicans.

You mention "a great many of those jobs would be unfilled". You also seem to focus on the agricultural sector but I can't find mention of 20 million seasonal workers. Can you please help to clarify where these illegals are working?

Construction, highway maintenance, power line clearing, and timber industry to name a few.

Anywhere hard, sweaty work is being done, Hispanics are taking up the slack.
Hell, I had a hard time finding a white guy to work for 12 years during 2001-20013..

If someone hasn't done anything at all in 4 weeks to get a job...not one application, not sending out one resume, not even asking a single friend if they know of any jobs, does that person really want a job?

New job numbers in March lowest in years, and, will be revised DOWNWARD anyway.

DJIA stalled for all of first quarter.

Ain't Hope and Change wonderful.

If someone hasn't done anything at all in 4 weeks to get a job...not one application, not sending out one resume, not even asking a single friend if they know of any jobs, does that person really want a job?

I'm so happy.

Strawman

You used the right words, but changed the implication of the point. Don't play kids games, it's a strawman.

The work force, for those who want to work, is very high now. Obama's economic strategies have evidently worked well.

Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs Growth And Investing - Forbes

So people who have given up in frustration now can be counted as not wanting a job?
Of course.

If it benefits lefty propaganda.

Those hard working Mexicans, making all that money, will soon be Republicans.

Ain't free enterprise wonderful.

Yes, statistically other than Jews, as they become wealthier and more successful every group becomes more conservative. Democrats like making sure personal success doesn't happen

Turns out hoping for change wasn't a good plan

Strawman

You used the right words, but changed the implication of the point.
No, I didn't. I maintained the same point consistently.

Don't play kids games, it's a strawman.
You keep using that word, by I no think it means what you think it means.

Again…activity tells us what the reality of the labor market is. People not looking provide no information about the actual market.

Forum List

Back