If you find a bag of Money and Keep it are you a "Thief"?

http://7online.com/news/atm-employe...-lawn;-police-seek-person-who-took-it/886443/

MAHWAH POLICE SEEK THIEF WHO STOLE $150,000 CASH AFTER ATM EMPLOYEES LEFT MONEY UNATTENDED

So, the ATM pickup guy leaves a bag of money on the side of the road. Some other guys pick up the bag and it looks like they didnt know what was in it to begin with.

Does that technically make you a thief? Even the news guy asked the police "Was a crime committed?"

If you find a car open with the car keys in it- and drive off with it- does that technically make you a car thief?

We're not talking about cars...keep up

http://7online.com/news/atm-employe...-lawn;-police-seek-person-who-took-it/886443/

MAHWAH POLICE SEEK THIEF WHO STOLE $150,000 CASH AFTER ATM EMPLOYEES LEFT MONEY UNATTENDED

So, the ATM pickup guy leaves a bag of money on the side of the road. Some other guys pick up the bag and it looks like they didnt know what was in it to begin with.

Does that technically make you a thief? Even the news guy asked the police "Was a crime committed?"

If you find a car open with the car keys in it- and drive off with it- does that technically make you a car thief?

Feel free to point out the legal or moral distinctions between property that is cash and property that is a car when it comes to theft versus 'finders keepers'?

Brother was teaching school and some kids found a wallet on the way home from school and turned it in....the next week on the school's announcements, the Principal called the kids up and congratulated them and stated he was sure any other student would do the same. My brother said that he could hear the laughter throughout the campus and one of his own students was laughing the loudest and calling the boys fools for turning the wallet in.

Two weeks later, that same kid lost his wallet during recess and was appalled and complained that no one turned it in.

Karma.

Feel free to point out the legal or moral distinctions between property that is cash and property that is a car when it comes to theft versus 'finders keepers'?

Ok, Can you drive a small amount of car? Can you find a small amount of money?

Now if you need an explanation further than that then my answer is No Bitch

Brother was teaching school and some kids found a wallet on the way home from school and turned it in....the next week on the school's announcements, the Principal called the kids up and congratulated them and stated he was sure any other student would do the same. My brother said that he could hear the laughter throughout the campus and one of his own students was laughing the loudest and calling the boys fools for turning the wallet in.

Two weeks later, that same kid lost his wallet during recess and was appalled and complained that no one turned it in.

Karma.

Really?

delivery bags have names on them, so he knew who the owners were.

being ok to take it would mean that it's ok to take your car if you park it off your property

This topic reminds me of a movie I think it was called a simple plan where three guys come across a plane that crashed in the woods and find a shitload of money on it which was likely do to drugs or something else illegal. They decide to take the money keep quiet and split it between them suffice it to say that didn't work out very well so give to the police or walk away.

This topic reminds me of a movie I think it was called a simple plan where three guys come across a plane that crashed in the woods and find a shitload of money on it which was likely do to drugs or something else illegal. They decide to take the money keep quiet and split it between them suffice it to say that didn't work out very well so give to the police or walk away.
One has been arrested and cops are hunting for the other one. They know who he is. Apparently there is a law in NJ about keeping found money.

What a great fucking movie that was

What a great fucking movie that was
Did I have the title right?

So you can't find any legal or moral distinctions?

Taking a bag of money because it is sitting on the ground unattended is no different- morally or legally- than taking a car left unattended with the keys in it.

One has been arrested and cops are hunting for the other one. They know who he is. Apparently there is a law in NJ about keeping found money.

The article says one was arrested on "theft of mislaid property" -- which turns out to be (NJ version)

"Theft of Property Lost, Mislaid, or Delivered in Error"

>> Explanation of the Law
(1) Assumption of Control: this provision of the law limits criminal responsibility to individuals who actually take control of lost property. There is no liability under the law for mere handling or knowledge that the property has been mislaid, lost or delivered in error. Where there is any issue as to "control", an attorney with our office will explore every opportunity for a defense on this front.

(2) Intent
: the requirement of purposeful conduct is particularly complicated with respect to Theft of Property Lost, Mislaid or Delivered in Error. First, the prosecutor must establish that the accused knew that the property was lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property. Second, the prosecutor must establish that the accused knew the identity of the true owner. A complaint or indictment under N.J.S.A. 2C:20-6 is not sustainable if the accused lacks knowledge of the identity of the true owner. Third, the state must demonstrate that the accused intended to deprive the actual owner of his or her property. An accused must possess this state of mind in all three respects or the charge is misplaced. Accordingly, possession of property that is believed to be abandoned or property held with the intention of returning it to the true owner, will not suffice under N.J.S.A. 2C:20-6. It must be kept in mind, however, that an accused cannot withhold property for a substantial period. Our attorneys will make sure that the state establishes intent in all three respects.

(3) Material Elements: (i) the subject property was under the control of the accused; (ii) the property was lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake; (iii) the accused knew of the mistake; (iv) the accused knew the identity of the true owner; (v) the accused intended to deprive the owner of the property; and (vi) the accused converted the property to his own use.<<​

Seems to me if it was collusion with the ATM employees, then subparagraph "iii" would apply. But they're saying that's not the case, that the van just happened to come by. In that case they couldn't have "known about the mistake".

Taking a bag of money because it is sitting on the ground unattended is no different- morally or legally- than taking a car left unattended with the keys in it.

Sure it is. A car's owner is registered.

That just means that there is a record of ownership for the car- so authorities can track down the legal owner more easily than an unregistered bag of money.

It doesn't change the legal or moral implications just because you don't know whose money it is.

That just means that there is a record of ownership for the car- so authorities can track down the legal owner more easily than an unregistered bag of money.

It doesn't change the legal or moral implications just because you don't know whose money it is.

It's a direct difference between the two. Who owns the car is a matter of record; who owns a nondescript bag of money can be anybody's guess.

Forum List

Back