If US campuses can’t protect free speech, they need new management

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I agree completely with the sentiments of this article. Universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions. Instead, what we've seen over the last several years are weak-kneed administrators acquiescing to the demands of sniveling little brats who can't handle hearing an idea they don't approve of. Rather than fostering an environment where diverse discussion can take place, most of our universities have been hijacked by extreme left wing administrators, faculties, and students who have embraced fascism and are engaging in modern day Nazi book burnings. If the people in charge won't stop this attack on free speech then it's time to start replacing them, by force, if necessary, particularly at those which are taxpayer funded.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/if-us-campuses-cant-protect-free-speech-they-need-new-management/

Universities are under no obligation to give right wing fascists a platform to "speak." No university owes these useless sacks of shit a goddamn thing. Stop whining.

I agree in general. In particular, let's look at the hard right schools that do the same along with the left schools.

Universities are under no obligation to give right wing fascists a platform to "speak." No university owes these useless sacks of shit a goddamn thing. Stop whining.
You are a useless whiner who is not going to get his way. Whether Liberty University or UCB, academia requires a diversity of opinion, and that includes the right wing fascists as well.

The educational system trained them to act that way. Now we are surprised?

You are a useless whiner who is not going to get his way. Whether Liberty University or UCB, academia requires a diversity of opinion, and that includes the right wing fascists as well.

Wrong. Allowing right wing extremist shitbags to speak at their school is not a school requirement. I'm only saying they're under no obligation to placate every right wing, alt-right or white nationalist who fancies themselves a special snowflake ENTITLED to speak. I do think they should have these cretins to speak though. I think it's good for debate.

This pathetic thread should be in the rubber room. Don't we already have like 10 threads devoted to this fucking pathetic non-issue?

I agree completely with the sentiments of this article. Universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions. Instead, what we've seen over the last several years are weak-kneed administrators acquiescing to the demands of sniveling little brats who can't handle hearing an idea they don't approve of. Rather than fostering an environment where diverse discussion can take place, most of our universities have been hijacked by extreme left wing administrators, faculties, and students who have embraced fascism and are engaging in modern day Nazi book burnings. If the people in charge won't stop this attack on free speech then it's time to start replacing them, by force, if necessary, particularly at those which are taxpayer funded.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/if-us-campuses-cant-protect-free-speech-they-need-new-management/

"Particularly at those which are taxpayer funded?" So the people in charge of private institutions should be forcibly removed if they don't "foster... an environment where diverse discussion can take place?"

I'm not a fan of some of the outcry and protests against speakers we've all seen in the news, but neither am I a fan of swinging the pendulum too far in response and resorting to some sort of government intervention to force private schools to allow whoever wants to to speak at their universities.

And while perhaps universities are "supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions," I wonder how true that has been for most universities, and for how long. I get the impression that kind of sentiment is actually fairly recent in the history of the country; go back a few decades and "diverse thoughts" at schools may have been accepted only if they fell within a particular spectrum of thought.

If someone breaks the law in protesting a speaker at a university, they should be arrested. If someone breaks school rules doing the same thing, they should be punished accordingly. If someone doesn't like the way a particular school handles such things, they do not need to attend that school or send their children to that school. The government can set rules for schools that are taxpayer funded, including about protests and allowing speakers on campuses; private universities have more leeway.

This just seems like reacting to one extreme with another. :dunno:

Wrong. Allowing right wing extremist shitbags to speak at their school is not a school requirement. I'm only saying they're under no obligation to placate every right wing, alt-right or white nationalist who fancies themselves a special snowflake ENTITLED to speak. I do think they should have these cretins to speak though. I think it's good for debate.

These people are invited to speak on campus by student groups moron.

This thread is exactly where it belongs.

We are talking about hate speech, free assembly, and the first amendment.

Ann Coulter and Angela Davis (if alive and competent) get to speak if invited by accredited groups at any U.

Leftwing shitbags like you, sytfe, or rightwing shitbags like Steve McGarrett (you are opposite sides of the same coin) are held to the same rules.

Understand now?

Ann Coulter and Angela Davis (if alive and competent) get to speak if invited by accredited groups at any U.

Leftwing shitbags like you or rightwing shitbags like Steve McGarrett (you are opposite sides of the same coin) are held to the same rules.

Understand now?

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.

Get that through your fucking head.

Understand now?

Last edited:
This pathetic thread should be in the rubber room. Don't we already have like 10 threads devoted to this fucking pathetic non-issue?

Just because you have a permanent seat in the rubber room, does not mean the rest of us want to visit. You sound like a snowflake who fears free speech.

"I may hate what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it!" - what happened to that mindset?

it really speaks poorly for our friends on the left - are they fearful of having their beliefs and ideas challenged?

It's more than just a little crazy - it is the "anti fascists" acting like fascists

the fact that they use violence and intimidation makes it even more pernicious

If free speech is sacred and inviolable, how come I got a trolling citation the other day?

lol

because you were being a shitty poster?

please explain to me how your "free speech" was violated on a privately owned message board forum that you are not charged to participate on

I'll hang up & listen...

Leftwing shitbags like you or rightwing shitbags like Steve McGarrett (you are opposite sides of the same coin) are held to the same rules.

Understand now?

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.

Ge that through your fucking head.

Understand now?
Politely and respectfully. Break up an event get your heads broken up.

I agree in general. In particular, let's look at the hard right schools that do the same along with the left schools.

fair point

BUT, are the left wing schools public universities that are funded by tax dollars?

if a hard-right university is privately owned and does not accept public money, then they have more authority and an actual right to limit who speaks on their campus

free speech really only guarantees that you have a right to speak your mind without being jailed - right?

Understand now?

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.Ge that through your fucking head. Understand now?
Are they being rounded up and forced to listen? Bet not. :lol: Try to break up a meeting, the LEO can put a baton hard against your head and in your scrotum. You are not Tuff Tommy.

Forum List

Back