If State Legislators/Governor Won't Enact Rent Control, Vote Them Out

Landlords vote too, parasite. They also don't owe you a place to live. Pay the rent or buy a tent. Tents are much cheaper, you can probably afford one with the rent increase.
Amazing that you would use a word like "parasite". That's exactly what the predator landlords are. Biting and sucking the money out of people, whether they can withstand it or not.

If landlords are going to be in the activity of providing places to live, then YES they DO owe the public a place to live. A real home, not a tent. This is too important a necessity to be left to chance or randomness.

As Americans we have standards. Businesses are not allowed to sell cars (ex Ford Pinto) that can be harmful. Not allowed to sell drugs (heroin, fentnyl, cocaine, methedrine) - harmful. In many cities, landlords are not allowed to charge rents that are outside acceptable standards.

In places without these rent control standards, landlords have gone wild, and have priced the middle class out of being able to obtain shelter. Thus is ludicrous.

Along with all the standards and many laws we have, should be that which keeps obtaining shelter within limits of affordability of the majority of Americans. If landlords want to involve themselves in one of the most important aspects of human life, they should be required to do it in a fundamentally acceptable way. I would ban all rent increases greater than $50 per yearly lease.

This is MUCH more than just a business for the landlord. If they cant accept that, let them sell less necessary items like sporting goods, books, art. etc. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that homeless dogs & cats are suffering, because of reduced donations to the ASPCA and Humane Society, those funds going to landlords instead, who sit around blabbering about "the market", to cover their greedy asses. Same with birth defect children in the Shriners, amputee veterans in the Wounded Warriors Foundation, and other charities.

Almost as bad is the reduced sales being endured by all other businesses outside of real estate. It's tough enough to sell your goods without having landlords shopping way your community's disposable income that you depend on. Of all the things that are enemies to America's business community, I would put landlords right at the top of that list.

Last edited:
We've been through this topic before. However, that wasn't when I received a $96/month rent increase. For seniors, retired and barely surviving on Social Security and a pension, rent increases like $96/month (I just received one), are devastating & demoralizing.

Here we are looking for ways to increase our income, cut our costs, and along comes the dear landlord with a $96/month takeaway (less than a month advance notice).

This is like going put on the street and being mugged for $96, once a month, every month, ongoing.

People, stop crabbing about gas prices. Stop crabbing about food prices, clothing, cell phones. Those are all trivial compared to your MOST EXPENSIVE, CONSTANTLY ONGOING EXPENSE, which is HOUSING. Gas, food, et al stuff isn't going up $96/month.

You get a letter stuck in your door whining about "operational costs", and just like that, your annual operational budget is $1,152 less. Of course this letter doesn't specify what these so-called "operational costs" are, nor offer any proof that they even exist. For all we know this rent increase might be nothing more than somebody (who we never see, don't know their name) wanting more money to buy something like this >>
View attachment 928464
There is only one way to top this madness. Republicans & Democrats need to join together and enact rent control (with roll backs to 2015 levels). Over the last few years, I have seen housing rents skyrocket like nothing before in my lifetime. I moved twice to void massive rent increases, but they keep on coming, with nothing stopping them.

I recommend we call "our" state legislators & governors, and demand rent control laws, with no increases above $50/month allowed. If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.
But this is Biden. Forget rent controls , pull the plug on his disastrous distortin of the whole housing market

1)He tampered a few months ago with credit scores so that good credit scores now count AGAINS you

2)His $10 000dollars for home buyers....check your Econ books, guaranteed to UP the price of homes AND to penalize further those who don't pass the hoop for the $10 000 in the first place

3) worst of all ---- well,listen to Joel Kotkin , recognized expert on this

Wrong. Vioxx got gov't subsidies for development and protection from generics for 10 years. Educate yourself. Landlords don't get those subsidies unless they agree to be section 8 housing and you've already said you don't qualify.
:puhleeze:This is not about subsides, Mr Deflection.
Stop talking about what you are obvious ignorant of. Vioxx was shown in studies to be a significant factor in causing heart attacks. Merck knew it and kept on selling it. FDA took it off the market.
Some people have to be told twice. :rolleyes:

But this is Biden. Forget rent controls , pull the plug on his disastrous distortin of the whole housing market

1)He tampered a few months ago with credit scores so that good credit scores now count AGAINS you

2)His $10 000dollars for home buyers....check your Econ books, guaranteed to UP the price of homes AND to penalize further those who don't pass the hoop for the $10 000 in the first place

3) worst of all ---- well,listen to Joel Kotkin , recognized expert on this
I don't doubt that Biden is making the housing crisis worse in some number of ways. HE is who triggered the massive rent increases in US cities, by moving millions of illegal aliens into them, and saturating their housing markets.

No, I'm not forgetting about rent control for one minute. I encourage everyone to contact their elected representitives to enact rent control law +rollbacks to 2017 levels.

NO, it is NOT "simple". The OP already covered this. Some people have to be told twice.

1. "Of course this letter doesn't specify what these so-called "operational costs" are, nor offer any proof that they even exist. For all we know this rent increase might be nothing more than somebody (who we never see, don't know their name) wanting more money to buy something like this >>
1712492041435.png

2. If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.

3. How do you expect the tenants to "cover" the cost of the increase ?
My increases in Social Security& VA pension for 2024 = $41/mo. The rent increase is $96/mo. That means I'm LOSING ground ($55/mo or $660/yr) LOSS.
/----/ "Don't be dumping costs on to the customers,"
Said someone who never ran a business for 5 seconds, but keeps voting for politicians who increase our cost of living via taxes, regulations, and fees.

2023-tentative-property-tax-assessment-roll - NYC.gov

The tentative assessment roll for FY23 shows the total market value of all New York City properties is $1.398 trillion, an 8.2 percent increase from Fiscal Year 2022.

Why New York auto and home insurance rates are rising so much in 2023

Apr 7, 2023A study from Policygenius showed that New York home insurance premiums increased 8 percent from 2021 to 2022, so across those two data points, we can see where this trend is heading.

/----/ "Don't be dumping costs on to the customers,"
Said someone who never ran a business for 5 seconds, but keeps voting for politicians who increase our cost of living via taxes, regulations, and fees.

FALSE! I owned a business for 12 years, and if your sympathy is with business owners, than you should be not be sympathizing with one of their worst enemies (landlords). See post # 342

As for "voting for politicians who increase our cost of living via taxes, regulations, and fees". I voted for Trump 3 times and he never did those things. I'm a Republican, and staunchly pro-business, which is one of the reasons I am against the crazy skyrocketed rents of the last 3 years, since Biden took over.

And when I owned a business, I didn't demand that my customers pay for my expenses, increasing or not.

Don't act like a moron junior then. The world doesn't owe you anything. Just because you managed to survive doesn't grant you any respect. EARN it. Or would you rather have the gov't "respect" police come to your aid. Cry me a river.

Again with the whining. Everyone had to deal with the same laws. Why are you in the minority who want to blame them?

As long as you bury your obtuse head in the sand while looking for someone to blame, you will be the problem. Tissue?
You are who is the head in the sand. Everything I've said in this thread makes good sense. You say you're not a landlord. No ?

You sure are involved on this thread pretty strongly, for somebody who supposedly has no dog in this fight. I suspect you DO have some vested interest in this somehow, and Yeah you're probably a landlord.

Going rate is not crap. Are you saying that land owners are colluding against you? Prove it. I know that those landowners are reacting to the market. If it wasn't the "going rate" then you would be able to find rents that suit you and the overpriced apartment would lie empty bring the landlord ZERO. SMFH.

I think you can be summed up with one pertinent cliche, junior. "You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan."
You're going to push this "failed to plan" thing indefinitely, but the line is stupid. Doesn't matter if renters are rich or poor, every time landlords jack up the rents, it is money out of the pockets of the renter.

It is sales reduced to all other businesses, and money out of their pockets too.

It is losses to charities.

It is losses to everyone in America, except landlord$$.

As for the "market' that you keep blabbering about, that is something that only landlords concern themselves with. All the rest of us (renters & businesses) are concerned with OUR markets, ie. our incomes, all LESSENED by the actions of those landlords. We are thinking about THAT, while not giving a rat's ass about any real estate market.

FALSE! I owned a business for 12 years, and if your sympathy is with business owners, than you should be not be sympathizing with one of their worst enemies (landlords). See post # 342

As for "voting for politicians who increase our cost of living via taxes, regulations, and fees". I voted for Trump 3 times and he never did those things. I'm a Republican, and staunchly pro-business, which is one of the reasons I am against the crazy skyrocketed rents of the last 3 years, since Biden took over.

And when I owned a business, I didn't demand that my customers pay for my expenses, increasing or not.
/---/ You're a bit confused. I don't know what kind of business you ran, but I was in a real estate partnership for rental income for 25 years. The only time we raised rent was with property tax and insurance increases. As long as the tenant paid on time, kept the property tidy, we didn't raise the base rent.
I live in NY and see how destructive rent control is. Landlords can't afford to maintain the property.

If landlords are going to be in the activity of providing places to live, then YES they DO owe the public a place to live.
Run along. Yes you are a parasite. Landlords are a business, just like any other business. No different. A rental is an an investment and the investor deserves a return on his money. Landlords are not charities. You are a parasite. Go talk to Biden, because you certainly are no conservative regardless of what you falsely claim.

In places without these rent control standards, landlords have gone wild, and have priced the middle class out of being able to obtain shelter.
LMAO, you are sorely mistaken. Rents, like anything in real estate depends on where you are. If you are in a desirable place, you are going to pay more. You chose a tourist mecca. There are so many people who are willing to pay to visit--and pay high prices to stay. You can rent many places in Emporia, KS for less than $1K--go there. If you want to see some high rents, try SF, you'll be lucky to find a tent on the sidewalk for that. Accept that you didn't plan. Quit blaming everyone else for your troubles and move on. Whining ad infinitum on a message board isn't going to change anything. Go whine to Biden, he likes you communists.

Run along. Yes you are a parasite. Landlords are a business, just like any other business. No different. A rental is an an investment and the investor deserves a return on his money. Landlords are not charities. You are a parasite. Go talk to Biden, because you certainly are no conservative regardless of what you falsely claim.
NO....NO.....NO. Nothing could be further from the truth. Landlords are NOT a business like any other business. They are the ENEMY of the business community in America. No entity takes money out of our tills more than landlords, especially within the last 3 years, with rents skyrocketing as they have been.

Have you understood a word I've been saying in this thread ? Every dollar raised in rent, is another dollar that renters don't have to buy clothing, TV sets, computers, furniture, cars, boats, sporting goods, auto repairs, home improvement, cosmetics, etc, etc.

When I owned a video dating service for 12 years, my biggest problem was all the people who called me and said they couldn't afford it. And why not ? Because some landlord just jacked up their rent again, THAT's why. Old news. Ho hum.

As for Biden, it was him moving illegal aliens into cities that caused the extreme rental spikes, and diminishing of the economy, as renters are spending much more on rent and therefore much less on everything else.

No, YOU go talk to Biden, because you are in support of his illegal alien invasion, and the resulting real estate inflation. You're also opposed to the one thing that could remedy this crisis (rent control).
For all we know, you might be working for him already, by coming here and speaking up for what he's doing, while minimizing the disastrous effect$$$$ of it.

LMAO, you are sorely mistaken. Rents, like anything in real estate depends on where you are. If you are in a desirable place, you are going to pay more. You chose a tourist mecca. There are so many people who are willing to pay to visit--and pay high prices to stay. You can rent many places in Emporia, KS for less than $1K--go there. If you want to see some high rents, try SF, you'll be lucky to find a tent on the sidewalk for that. Accept that you didn't plan. Quit blaming everyone else for your troubles and move on. Whining ad infinitum on a message board isn't going to change anything. Go whine to Biden, he likes you communists.
Rents have skyrocketed all over the US. 100-200% inflation in practically every state. Nice try.

Hey, are you one of those anti-business leftists ? If so, you're working hard at it here.

/---/ You're a bit confused. I don't know what kind of business you ran, but I was in a real estate partnership for rental income for 25 years. The only time we raised rent was with property tax and insurance increases. As long as the tenant paid on time, kept the property tidy, we didn't raise the base rent.
I live in NY and see how destructive rent control is. Landlords can't afford to maintain the property.
I was born and raised in NYC, and lived there for 30 years. I know very well about rent control. You are coming into this thread late. Some of the things you are bringing up, I have already addressed a few days ago.

Regarding NYC rent control, see Post # 276.

As for tax & insurance increases, I already addressed that too.

:puhleeze:This is not about subsides, Mr Deflection.
Stop talking about what you are obvious ignorant of. Vioxx was shown in studies to be a significant factor in causing heart attacks. Merck knew it and kept on selling it. FDA took it off the market.
Some people have to be told twice. :rolleyes:
You brought up Vioxx, moron. Talk about deflection! You've done nothing but deflect from the reality of supporting yourself since you started this thread. You've whined about your rent for over a year that I know of. Move away from the beach or find a charity to whine too. Rentals are a business and they will charge what the market will bear. That is REALITY.
I encourage everyone to contact their elected representitives to enact rent control law +rollbacks to 2017 levels.
What makes 2017 a magic number--is that when YOU retired? Why not back to 1964 levels? Landlords should be able to suck up all of the gov't mandates in housing that drive housing prices. Check the costs of building materials. Yes, more demand drives higher prices, that is called the market. BTW, transportation is a NECESSITY for me. So lets enact price controls on automobiles. I should be able to have the car of my choice for $750. That's what Henry Ford charged for his Model T. Your position is ignorant.
You sure are involved on this thread pretty strongly, for somebody who supposedly has no dog in this fight.
I am a staunch capitalist. I have no use for communists. You lie in every post. You say you didn't raise prices in your business to cover your costs---that is a bald faced lie---OR your business went under, which is it?
Doesn't matter if renters are rich or poor, every time landlords jack up the rents, it is money out of the pockets of the renter.
Boy you talk out of both sides of your mouth. One post, you are complaining that housing is a right and in the next post you are saying that businesses suffer because of increasing rents. Businesses are not there to manage your money. Budgeting 101. Everytime the price of milk goes up are you going to want price controls on the dairy? You have no viable argument.
It is losses to everyone in America, except landlord$$.
Final post. You have the right to go out and buy any property that you want and stabilize your housing costs. YOU choose to be a parasite renter and expect a landlord to take you to raise. YOUR LANDLORD, OR BANK, OR AUTO DEALER OR GROCER ARE NOT YOUR MAMA. Comrade!

You brought up Vioxx, moron. Talk about deflection! You've done nothing but deflect from the reality of supporting yourself since you started this thread. You've whined about your rent for over a year that I know of. Move away from the beach or find a charity to whine too. Rentals are a business and they will charge what the market will bear. That is REALITY.

What makes 2017 a magic number--is that when YOU retired? Why not back to 1964 levels? Landlords should be able to suck up all of the gov't mandates in housing that drive housing prices. Check the costs of building materials. Yes, more demand drives higher prices, that is called the market. BTW, transportation is a NECESSITY for me. So lets enact price controls on automobiles. I should be able to have the car of my choice for $750. That's what Henry Ford charged for his Model T. Your position is ignorant.

I am a staunch capitalist. I have no use for communists. You lie in every post. You say you didn't raise prices in your business to cover your costs---that is a bald faced lie---OR your business went under, which is it?

Boy you talk out of both sides of your mouth. One post, you are complaining that housing is a right and in the next post you are saying that businesses suffer because of increasing rents. Businesses are not there to manage your money. Budgeting 101. Everytime the price of milk goes up are you going to want price controls on the dairy? You have no viable argument.

Final post. You have the right to go out and buy any property that you want and stabilize your housing costs. YOU choose to be a parasite renter and expect a landlord to take you to raise. YOUR LANDLORD, OR BANK, OR AUTO DEALER OR GROCER ARE NOT YOUR MAMA. Comrade!
Yeah, I brought up Vioxx. SO ? And I bring it up AGAIN now. It's an example of harmful business, needing and getting goverment control. Similar to rent control. DUH!

Are you getting anything that's being said in this thread, or are you just plain STUPID ?

Talking about supporting myself isn't the subject of the thread. that is YOUR DEFLECTION. This thread is about landlord greed, and harm done to renters and the overall business community, both of whom you obviously have no regard for.

I told you before, I'm not interested in your "market" yammering. You talk so much about planning and preparing. If you planned & prepared, you wouldn't have to worry about changes in expenses. You would have already taken all that into account, as I always did when I owned my own business. I never dumped my cost increases on to my customers, so you can scratch that excuse - I told you that before. Can you read ?

Your automobile analogy doesn't fly either. Rents have skyrocketed in just the 3 years that Biden has been president. In contrast, Ford's model T was over 100 years ago. Apples & oranges.

I told you the significance of 2017. Again, can you read ? Pheeew! :rolleyes:

NO! You are NOT a staunch capitalist. You are in direct OPPOSITION to 99.9999% of capitalist business owners in this country, whose businesses you damage, by opposing the one reform (rent control) that can help them avoid LOSSES from the greedy real estate industry.

You idiot. No, I did not raise my prices to adjust for anything. That is true. Why you call it a lie, is perhaps due to your stuidity, and thought that there is only one way of doing business which is how you do it (WRONGLY).

My business never went under, and quite the contrary, I expanded it to 4 branch offices in 4 separate counties of the San Francisco Bay area in the 1980s.

Since you bring up the subject of milk, OK, we can talk about that too. Milk is drunk by adults (mostly with cereal) but milk's main feature is it's importance as a basic nutrition for infant children. As such it is a vital necessity, and should indeed be price regulated to some degree, IF the milk industry were ever as reckless and nuts as the real estate rental housing industry has become. Form follows function.

Landlords are not anybody's Mama. OK, we agree on that. But landlords, banks, grocers, etc are not independent of constrictions on their behavior with actually numerous rules that they must abide by. They are not free to do anything they want, and that should include gouging renters, and depriving businesses of Sale$, Karl.

I was born and raised in NYC, and lived there for 30 years. I know very well about rent control. You are coming into this thread late. Some of the things you are bringing up, I have already addressed a few days ago.

Regarding NYC rent control, see Post # 276.

As for tax & insurance increases, I already addressed that too.
Regarding this post...CA...what are you Disagreeing with ? :dunno:

Forum List

Back