If State Legislators/Governor Won't Enact Rent Control, Vote Them Out

/—-/ That makes no sense.
Think hard now. My rent went up $96/mo. In one year that totals $1,152. I could use that money to buy any number of things. A guitar, electric piano, furniture, new TV set, laptop, etc

But instead of those small businesses getting that money, it will all go to my landlord for increases rent. Got it ?

Now multiply those lost sales by tens of millions$$$$$$$$$ elated to all the rent hikes going on all across the country. This ain't hard.

We've been through this topic before. However, that wasn't when I received a $96/month rent increase. For seniors, retired and barely surviving on Social Security and a pension, rent increases like $96/month (I just received one), are devastating & demoralizing.

Here we are looking for ways to increase our income, cut our costs, and along comes the dear landlord with a $96/month takeaway (less than a month advance notice).

This is like going put on the street and being mugged for $96, once a month, every month, ongoing.

People, stop crabbing about gas prices. Stop crabbing about food prices, clothing, cell phones. Those are all trivial compared to your MOST EXPENSIVE, CONSTANTLY ONGOING EXPENSE, which is HOUSING. Gas, food, et al stuff isn't going up $96/month.

You get a letter stuck in your door whining about "operational costs", and just like that, your annual operational budget is $1,152 less. Of course this letter doesn't specify what these so-called "operational costs" are, nor offer any proof that they even exist. For all we know this rent increase might be nothing more than somebody (who we never see, don't know their name) wanting more money to buy something like this >>
View attachment 928464
There is only one way to top this madness. Republicans & Democrats need to join together and enact rent control (with roll backs to 2015 levels). Over the last few years, I have seen housing rents skyrocket like nothing before in my lifetime. I moved twice to void massive rent increases, but they keep on coming, with nothing stopping them.

I recommend we call "our" state legislators & governors, and demand rent control laws, with no increases above $50/month allowed. If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.
I deeply sympathize with your dilemma--a people on low fixed incomes are experiencing serious economic pain right now--but price controls are not the answer. Your landlord is beset with the same inflationary pressures we all are, i.e. much MUCH higher costs for labor, utilities, property taxes, maintenance, replacement costs for heaters, air conditioners, etc. etc. mostly courtesy of Biden's insane economic policies.

Force your landlord to assess rent below his costs and/or a reasonable profit and he'll go out of business and you may be out of a home entirely.

No matter how much a person dislikes Trump, a vote for ANYBODY else in November is asking for more and more of what Biden has delivered. The ONLY chance we have for relief is to get Trump back into office.

And that completely meaningless if you're OK with corporations owning all the housing.
Whether to corporations or individuals, small businesses and renters LOSE $$$$ either way, when rents go up. The more they go up, the more we LO$E. 😐

I deeply sympathize with your dilemma--a people on low fixed incomes are experiencing serious economic pain right now--but price controls are not the answer. Your landlord is beset with the same inflationary pressures we all are, i.e. much MUCH higher costs for labor, utilities, property taxes, maintenance, replacement costs for heaters, air conditioners, etc. etc. mostly courtesy of Biden's insane economic policies.

Force your landlord to assess rent below his costs and/or a reasonable profit and he'll go out of business and you may be out of a home entirely.

No matter how much a person dislikes Trump, a vote for ANYBODY else in November is asking for more and more of what Biden has delivered. The ONLY chance we have for relief is to get Trump back into office.
Nah! Not with the kind of increases in rent we've seen over the last 3 years. I've been watching rents for 70+ years. There never has been anything like this before.

NOT "the same". I know GOUGING when I see it.

Where I lived before now, rents were between $ 465 and $600 f 25years, Now in less than 3 years it jumped from $600 to $1400. Some friends of mine have seen their rents go from $750 to over $2,000. that ain't inceased costs.

And as I said before, when I owned a business I did not pass on increased costs to my customers. I planned ahead.

As for Trump, I voted for him 3 times, and will vote for him again. All this rent chaos was brought on by Biden stuffing cities with illegal aliens, and saturating the housing markets.

I can't wait to see Trump in office again.

1713122169739.png

Last edited:
Think hard now. My rent went up $96/mo. In one year that totals $1,152. I could use that money to buy any number of things. A guitar, electric piano, furniture, new TV set, laptop, etc

But instead of those small businesses getting that money, it will all go to my landlord for increases rent. Got it ?

Now multiply those lost sales by tens of millions$$$$$$$$$ elated to all the rent hikes going on all across the country. This ain't hard.
/——/ We’re only getting half of the story.

If you oppose rent control, you do NOT support small business. 99.999% of small businesses are harmed badly by housing rent increases, soakingup $$$ that could/would/should have gone to SALES for those businesses.

Those businesses LOSE big bucks$$ when rents go up - you don't know ? :rolleyes: ?
And what happens when the shortage of housing drives people to leave the city, and small business has no customers?
If your idea worked, why didn't it work in NYC? Small business is dying in NYC, and yet they have more rent control than ever, and people are leaving the city.
Explain?

And that completely meaningless if you're OK with corporations owning all the housing.
Corporations buying housing is a symptom, not the cause.
Prices of housing are going up to insane levels in these cities....
which is causing average people to not be able to afford them....
which is causing corporations to buy them because they are the only ones with money that can.

If you want corporations to sell off their stock of housing, there is a very simple way to do it. Enact de-regulation and allow free-market capitalism, which will result in the price of housing to fall.
The moment housing prices fall, companies will sell off their housing stock, because they will no longer be safe investments.

The more corporate ownership of housing, the higher the rents will be.
Trying to ban corporations from buying housing will not reduce rents by a penny, and rents were going up before companies started buying housing. It was specifically because prices were going up, that companies saw housing as a safe investment.

Idiot, I'm 77 years old. Will be 78 this week. I'm disabled and have been retired from the workforce for 15 years. I was in it for almost 50 years. I just had surgery 2 weeks ago. :anj_stfu:

I just proved to you by my music and painting, that I am the opposite of lazy. Those paintings and musical instruments represent hard tedious work, which you are too dumb to realize.

And no one should have to go out and get a job to get $$ to make up for dollars RIPPED OFF, by lowlife landlords LIKE YOU.
Yes, you are lazy. IDGAF how old you are. I, too, am in my 70s, I've been retired for 11 years and I still farm. I am a disabled vet but I don't use it as an excuse as you so easily do. I also pay my bills and that would include rent if I rented my property. I don't begrudge hard working people receiving returns on their investments and I damn sure don't whine or expect others to support me. Now STFU, flake.

Yes, you are lazy. IDGAF how old you are. I, too, am in my 70s, I've been retired for 11 years and I still farm. I am a disabled vet but I don't use it as an excuse as you so easily do. I also pay my bills and that would include rent if I rented my property. I don't begrudge hard working people receiving returns on their investments and I damn sure don't whine or expect others to support me. Now STFU, flake.
/—-/ Sir, thank you for your service.

NO, it is NOT "simple". The OP already covered this. Some people have to be told twice.

1. "Of course this letter doesn't specify what these so-called "operational costs" are, nor offer any proof that they even exist. For all we know this rent increase might be nothing more than somebody (who we never see, don't know their name) wanting more money to buy something like this >>
1712492041435.png

2. If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.

3. How do you expect the tenants to "cover" the cost of the increase ?
My increases in Social Security& VA pension for 2024 = $41/mo. The rent increase is $96/mo. That means I'm LOSING ground ($55/mo or $660/yr) LOSS.
What a stupid ass you are.

If you have a brain, think seriously about what you said in your "2." If your landlord followed your advice, they'd either sell the property to someone else, who likely would raise your rent even more since they may be dealing with a mortage of higher amount and interest rate than your current landlord.

OR

You landlord might default on his mortgage, let the lender foreclose, and the place you are living could be locked-up, not longer available for rent, and you are out on the street.

Suck it up and deal with it, or get another source of income to supplement.

We all have similar to deal with. My property taxes and other costs covered through my mortgage have been rising and hence my mortgage payment(rent) is going up. Groceries are costing more, petro is costing more, electricity and water are up. It's the inflation that has been a constant in principle, but increased in amount recently. Likely to continue as such for now at least.

You might study basic economics to better understand what is happening and why "rent control" is not your/a solution.

Govt fucked us up with Inflation. Only Govt can create money which is the major cause of it.

Asking govt now to solve it is like asking an Arsonist who burned your house down to rebuild it.

Rent control is called Section 8. Welfare, food stamps, and assistance programs in places like the VA. Use them, or dont. Its up to you.

Forum List

Back