If I'm proud of what I am, that's a problem for many people...

Normal human behavior.

Well then I guess I and other people who think it's stupid to be proud of skin color or what sex organs you were born with aren't "normal"

Correct.

It is normal and healthy to be proud of all kinds of things you have not control over. TO be proud of your nation, or your city, or your school, or your parents.

It is not normal and sick to NOT have such feelings, or worse to consider such feelings to be wrong.

No it's not.

Why be proud that you have blue eyes unless it's because you think you're better than people with brown eyes?

And you do realize that the fact that you were born on this particular patch of dirt doesn't make you any different from any other person born on a different patch of dirt?

It is not about the dirt. It is about the people who are part of your group. It is normal and healthy to be proud of the group you are a member of.

It is part of the social dynamics of a healthy group, that allows it to work together, for the good of it's members.

so what is the difference between your comment and playing identity politics?

A fair question.

1. THe most obvious is that the above description is does not restrict the group in question to an particular identity, and can easily be expanded to include others, indeed, bringing very different groups together.

The "piece of dirt" idea that Bluesman attacked for example, often manifests as "nationalism" which is about getting the various groups in a nation to unify to work together towards common interests and goals.

Well then I guess I and other people who think it's stupid to be proud of skin color or what sex organs you were born with aren't "normal"

Correct.

It is normal and healthy to be proud of all kinds of things you have not control over. TO be proud of your nation, or your city, or your school, or your parents.

It is not normal and sick to NOT have such feelings, or worse to consider such feelings to be wrong.

No it's not.

Why be proud that you have blue eyes unless it's because you think you're better than people with brown eyes?

And you do realize that the fact that you were born on this particular patch of dirt doesn't make you any different from any other person born on a different patch of dirt?

It is not about the dirt. It is about the people who are part of your group. It is normal and healthy to be proud of the group you are a member of.

It is part of the social dynamics of a healthy group, that allows it to work together, for the good of it's members.

The failure of that, is a group becoming unhealthy, perhaps even dying.

So I should be proud of people not for what they have done but because they belong to some arbitrary group?

Basing your identity and self worth on arbitrary things is unhealthy and delusional

You already said that. And I addressed it.

What you did there, was the Logical Fallacy of Proof by Assertion.

My point stands.

And none of that has to do with superficial things like skin color, eye color or sex organs.

I am what I am what I am, as I seem to recall Popeye saying. It just means that we do not apologize for being how we were born to be. I exist because Stephanie Y and Bernard S married, had sexual intercourse and mingled their chromosomes, and had a child who is female. To use my unique identity in any way is to practice identity politics.

Correct.

No it's not.

So I should be proud of people not for what they have done but because they belong to some arbitrary group?

Basing your identity and self worth on arbitrary things is unhealthy and delusional

My point stands.

And none of that has to do with superficial things like skin color, eye color or sex organs.

YOur point was that it is wrong to have pride in things you have no control over.

Now you want to change your position to, "in superficial things".

Your request to move the goal post is denied.

My point stands.

The real question is, why are you against healthy group dynamics for your fellow Americans?

No it's not.

My point stands.

YOur point was that it is wrong to have pride in things you have no control over.

My point stands.

The real question is, why are you against healthy group dynamics for your fellow Americans?

Yes and if you belong to a group you have control over what that group does to some extent

Tell me are you going to be proud of being a White Supremacist simply because you have whit skin?

I for one do not belong to any groups.

I have no sense of pride regarding my skin or eye color and I really have no sense of pride about where I happened to be born.

I am an American by chance not by choice so why be proud of something random like that?

My point stands.

My point stands.

Yes and if you belong to a group you have control over what that group does to some extent

Tell me are you going to be proud of being a White Supremacist simply because you have whit skin?

I have no sense of pride regarding my skin or eye color and I really have no sense of pride about where I happened to be born.

I am an American by chance not by choice so why be proud of something random like that?

White supremacists are not defined by white skin. The vast majority of white people are not white supremacists.

White supremacy is an ideology.

Funny you got that confused. Funny, like, it was racist of you.

ACTUAL racism. Just saying.

You are indeed part of numerous groups. Your denial is either dishonest or delusional.

Your lack of pride in being American, is very much a problem for America.

A group requires that it's members have a sense of loyalty and responsibility to the group and the other members, in order to function properly, or long term, survive.

That you and people like you, do not feel this feeling, and indeed, actively attack the idea of that feelings, is a process of the group becoming more and more unhealthy.

My point stands.

My point stands.

White supremacists are not defined by white skin. The vast majority of white people are not white supremacists.

You are indeed part of numerous groups. Your denial is either dishonest or delusional.

A group requires that it's members have a sense of loyalty and responsibility to the group and the other members, in order to function properly, or long term, survive.

That you and people like you, do not feel this feeling, and indeed, actively attack the idea of that feelings, is a process of the group becoming more and more unhealthy.

Of course they are defined by white skin as you absolutely cannot be a white supremacist if you are not white.
And don't play the racist card with me. My mother was half Black.

And no I am not a member of any group as I have not joined any group. I do not agree with you that I am a member of a group by default or by some random occurrence.

The location of the accident of my birth is irrelevant.

My point stands.

My point stands.

Of course they are defined by white skin as you absolutely cannot be a white supremacist if you are not white.

And no I am not a member of any group as I have not joined any group. I do not agree with you that I am a member of a group by default or by some random occurrence.

1. The fact that the vast majority of white people are not White Supremacists proves by itself that White Supremacy is not defined by white skin.

2. YOur mother being half black, does not mean you cannot be racist. You said something racist. If you hold to it, and it is indicative of your overall belief system, then you are racist.

3. Have you renounced your citizenship?

My point stands.

1. The fact that the vast majority of white people are not White Supremacists proves by itself that White Supremacy is not defined by white skin.

2. YOur mother being half black, does not mean you cannot be racist. You said something racist. If you hold to it, and it is indicative of your overall belief system, then you are racist.

White skin is the number one requirement to be a white supremacist I never said it was the only requirement.

I never said ALL white people were white supremacists did I? No I did not.

And I didn't say anything racist I am merely trying to point out to you what happens when you take "pride" in things like skin color, eye color or what sex organs are between your legs.

Why should I renounce anything?

I see nothing wrong with not having pride in being an American citizen. I happen to be thankful I was born here and not any one of a million other places but that is not pride.

So instead of pride which I think is a negative trait I instead choose to be thankful that the random events that led to my birth put me here.

If I'm proud to be a man, that makes me a misogynist.

If I'm proud to be white, that makes me a racist.

If I'm proud to be straight, that makes me a homophobe.

And even if I don't have pride in being a straight white man, I am privileged.

The classic no-win situation for me.
You should be proud of what you accomplish. You should be neither proud nor ashamed of your DNA.

You should be proud of what you accomplish. You should be neither proud nor ashamed of your DNA.

I'll disagree and say you should accomplish much but be humble not proud

Normal human behavior.

Correct.

No it's not.

And it certainly smacks of desperation and a lack of earned self-worth.

I'll not disagree but say you should be proud of what you accomplish but not boastful.

You know, I'm gonna go with AlanG on this one. And, interestingly enough, it's because of a definition of humility that a friend of mine told me many years ago......................

Humility - a realistic and honest appraisal of who and what I truly am, followed by a sincere attempt to become what I can.

By that definition, if you are good at something and someone asks you how well you can do that particular task, you should say that you are really good at it, because the person asking might need your expertise.

And, dragging your toe in the dirt, looking down and saying "aw shucks, I'm no better than your average person" is false humility, and that can be just as bad as boasting. Especially if you are looking for the other person to tell you how great you are after denying it.

My point stands.

White skin is the number one requirement to be a white supremacist I never said it was the only requirement.

I never said ALL white people were white supremacists did I? No I did not.

And I didn't say anything racist I am merely trying to point out to you what happens when you take "pride" in things like skin color, eye color or what sex organs are between your legs.

Why should I renounce anything?

I see nothing wrong with not having pride in being an American citizen. I happen to be thankful I was born here and not any one of a million other places but that is not pride.

So instead of pride which I think is a negative trait I instead choose to be thankful that the random events that led to my birth put me here.

1. Your semantic games are dismissed.

2. You did say something racists, and your defense, was ironically also racist.

3. My point about your lack of healthy connection and loyalty to your group(s) and what it means for America, stands.

Who says you can’t be proud ? Be proud.

But when you are tearing down others, that’s not pride . That’s hatred .
But no one would accuse a gay, a non-white or a woman of "tearing down others."

You only say that to me because I'm a straight white man.

Well, you trying to tear down others probably has a lot to do with it.
So, saying black lives matter is cool, but saying all lives matter is tearing down others, eh? Friggin snowflakes!

YOU don’t understand what BLM stands for . They are against police brutality and targeting of black People .

Correct.

No it's not.

And liberals wonder why we question their patriotism.

Why are you proud to be how you were born, things for which you have no control, as opposed to what you’ve accomplished in life, which you can control?

Correct.

No it's not.

And liberals wonder why we question their patriotism.

Liberals wonder why you do lots of crazy shit.

I'll not disagree but say you should be proud of what you accomplish but not boastful.

You know, I'm gonna go with AlanG on this one. And, interestingly enough, it's because of a definition of humility that a friend of mine told me many years ago......................

Humility - a realistic and honest appraisal of who and what I truly am, followed by a sincere attempt to become what I can.

By that definition, if you are good at something and someone asks you how well you can do that particular task, you should say that you are really good at it, because the person asking might need your expertise.

And, dragging your toe in the dirt, looking down and saying "aw shucks, I'm no better than your average person" is false humility, and that can be just as bad as boasting. Especially if you are looking for the other person to tell you how great you are after denying it.

One can be humble and still give an accurate description of what he is capable of.

Forum List

Back