If Early Primates Had Been Sea Creatures, Would Merfolk Exist?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Or would it be possible. I believe in both Christianity and evolution as I believe that Adam and Eve looked more apelike before people started evolving into what we look like today, but if there was such thing as monkeys that lived in the sea, would that mean that mermen and mermaids would have existed at some point? Or perhaps there was such a creature and it just hasn't been discovered yet.

sea monkey family
meta%3AeyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ%3D%3D.jpg

Or would it be possible. I believe in both Christianity and evolution as I believe that Adam and Eve looked more apelike before people started evolving into what we look like today, but if there was such thing as monkeys that lived in the sea, would that mean that mermen and mermaids would have existed at some point? Or perhaps there was such a creature and it just hasn't been discovered yet.

They would have been Mermonks I guess, if one believes in that sort of thing.

The "if" thing is a problem. Early primates weren't sea creatures. But I guess we can imagine sea-monkeys that aren't just brine shrimp. They're, like, monkeys who live on the coastline and swim a lot.

Long limbs and a distinct big head are a disadvantage for a swimming creature. They interfere with streamlining, so a swimming primate will be slower than the competition.

Those are also a problem in terms of retaining heat, but we can get around that by restricting the mermonkeys to warm tropical areas.

And there are the breathing problems, with the nostrils being pointed down. Each time it surfaces, the poor monkey has to lift its whole head out of the water and throw its head back.

What evolutionary traits made humans a success? Intelligence and tool use. Those benefits outweighed the drawbacks of the human form.

I don't think that would happen with the sea monkeys. Making fire won't work underwater. Banging rocks together to make tools, not that easy underwater. The intelligence and tool use won't help as much underwater, so the sea monkeys would be outcompeted and die off.

The "if" thing is a problem. Early primates weren't sea creatures. But I guess we can imagine sea-monkeys that aren't just brine shrimp. They're, like, monkeys who live on the coastline and swim a lot.

Long limbs and a distinct big head are a disadvantage for a swimming creature. They interfere with streamlining, so a swimming primate will be slower than the competition.

Those are also a problem in terms of retaining heat, but we can get around that by restricting the mermonkeys to warm tropical areas.

And there are the breathing problems, with the nostrils being pointed down. Each time it surfaces, the poor monkey has to lift its whole head out of the water and throw its head back.

What evolutionary traits made humans a success? Intelligence and tool use. Those benefits outweighed the drawbacks of the human form.

I don't think that would happen with the sea monkeys. Making fire won't work underwater. Banging rocks together to make tools, not that easy underwater. The intelligence and tool use won't help as much underwater, so the sea monkeys would be outcompeted and die off.
Humans are the only primate capable of swimming. We swim quite well even among other land mammals. There is a theory that early Homo sapiens evolved aquatic traits living at the shore during some period in the past. We alone have insulating fat. Our hair lays down flat when it gets wet. Our shoulders have a range of motion no other hominid developed. Our feet are as flat as the flippers of a walrus. It's all speculation as fossil evidence of a shore dwelling proto-human is scarce.

Can you support the idea that this is a fact?
Google says:

Most mammals are able to swim instinctively without training; a notable exception being the great apes. Humans are clearly able to become proficient swimmers with training; other great apes, however, have not been documented as swimmers beyond anecdotal reports.

Google says:

Most mammals are able to swim instinctively without training; a notable exception being the great apes. Humans are clearly able to become proficient swimmers with training; other great apes, however, have not been documented as swimmers beyond anecdotal reports.

Link please!

I found it and it specifically said without training. It doesn't mean that they can't learn.
Not sure why this matters so much to you. Some zoos keep the apes in with nothing more than a moat. They instinctively avoid the water because their high bone and muscle density makes them incapable of floating. Should they fall into the water their panic makes them unable to help themselves. Would you want to try to drag a chimp with triple the strength of a man into water for swimming lessons.

Humans ... and the broader group of rodents ... evolved from the reptiles ... a branch of dinosaurs I believe ... far far removed from the tetrapod that emerged from the oceans half a billion years ago ...

2.2 billion years ago we were all bacteria ... if you believe in that evolution stuff ...

Forum List

Back