If all vehicles are EVs,it will take $20 trillion to build the additional 2,767 nuclear power plants to supply the 8,300,000,000 kWh per year for EVs.

Damn!! When I was in Tokyo and Yokohama in 1963, the Japanese had taxis that had coal fired steam engines. Maybe we will have to revert to those days.
Steam engines are crazy powerful. They probably will make a comeback.

In Ontario, we invested in wind and solar in Ontario, in a big way and only have one nuclear plant left in the province. At one point we had 3 but they were all built in the 60's and 70's and were reaching a dangerous age.

The windmills have been a big win/win for the power companies and the local farmers who get $60,000 a year in rent for one 5 acre windmill parcel. It's really stabilized farm income. We have a lot of excess electricity in Ontario, which we sell to New York State.

We’re dealing with real countries and real issues. Not Canaduh.

I've provided the links that show how many vehicles if replaced by EVs will require double the current electricity (4.1 trillion kWh) annually to provide the EVs the electricity to charge their batteries. Based on documentation that .25 kWh per 1 mile traveled is required for all vehicles..cars and trucks. Daily driving links show that the average car drives 40 miles per day. If you'd like to see how many solar panels will be required to meet the electricity requirements of 8.3 trillion future electricity needs to have all vehicles EVs I can put that up also as it will cost $38 trillion to add 8.3 trillion kWh via solar panels. So all of you that believe EVs are the answer... find errors in this table. Find errors in the links that provide the substantiation.

View attachment 703855

Well the truck numbers are off...

You are trying to claim trucks use over 16 times what cars use... Seriously???

You also use only Nuclear when Wind has a lot of advantages with EV... They charge at night when less power is needed.. 100 wind turbines could produce as much as a Nuclear power station in a smart managed power grid...

You are also saying every car is going over tomorrow, that is not happening...

EV still use less power than Gasoline... It is more economical to burn Gasoline in a power station and run the cars on electricity, it would be stupid but from a power perspective it would be more economically...

Actually if you have a small petrol motor just powering a battery in your car which powers an electric motor, they say you would get 200 miles to the gallon...

I've provided the links that show how many vehicles if replaced by EVs will require double the current electricity (4.1 trillion kWh) annually to provide the EVs the electricity to charge their batteries. Based on documentation that .25 kWh per 1 mile traveled is required for all vehicles..cars and trucks. Daily driving links show that the average car drives 40 miles per day. If you'd like to see how many solar panels will be required to meet the electricity requirements of 8.3 trillion future electricity needs to have all vehicles EVs I can put that up also as it will cost $38 trillion to add 8.3 trillion kWh via solar panels. So all of you that believe EVs are the answer... find errors in this table. Find errors in the links that provide the substantiation.

View attachment 703855
Math is racist.

You've provided links that no one will read because they're bullshit.

Nobody is building nuclear plants any more, stupid.
You know there is this thing called the Internet that took me less than two minutes to find out you are just plain lazy and even more stupid to make such a dumb ass comment!
The newest nuclear reactor to enter service, Watts Bar Unit 2 with 1,122 MW net summer electricity generating capacity, began commercial operation in 2016.

Two new nuclear reactors are actively under construction: Vogtle Units 3 and 4 in Georgia. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
How does it feel being pointed out as not only lazy but stupid?

I saw a report last month that in California 1.9% of the vehicles are EVs. In order to supply the energy to recharge the batteries they needed a 19 Gigawatt power supply. That is the power output of the two nuclear reactors at Diablo Canyon.

Yeah...you were also the same guy who said Obamacare wasn't needed and would never work. You had graphs!!!!

LOL...
Obamacare costs the taxpayer and medical insurance subscriber a lot of money. Killing the weak and sick will make civilization more viable or just denying any medical care. Obama himself has suggested this.

You also use only Nuclear when Wind has a lot of advantages with EV... They charge at night when less power is needed.. 100 wind turbines could produce as much as a Nuclear power station in a smart managed power grid...

EV still use less power than Gasoline... It is more economical to burn Gasoline in a power station and run the cars on electricity, it would be stupid but from a power perspective it would be more economically...

Actually if you have a small petrol motor just powering a battery in your car which powers an electric motor, they say you would get 200 miles to the gallon...
  • 37.9 million trucks registered and used for business purposes (excluding government and farm) in 2019, representing 23.9% of all trucks registered.
  • Economics and Industry Data
Most drivers complete between 2,000 and 3,000 miles per week.
So here is the math: 37.9 million trucks traveling ('ve cut down to 1,500 miles/week for local trucks etc.) or
2,956,200,000,000 miles or 78,000 /year per truck X 37.9 million trucks)
divided by 0.345 kWh / mile or 8,543,930,635,838 kWh.
Now for CARS...Facts:
According to https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/average-miles-driven-per-year/
Average driver 7,250 miles per year.
Average number of drivers per day in America that's at least 146,078,000 drivers at 64% driving every day.
So total kWh needed for 1,058,848,000,000 miles divided by 0.345kWh or 3,060,254,335,260 kWh.
Total kWh needed by
  • Trucks: 8,543,930,635,838 kWh.
  • Cars: 3,060,254,335,260 kWh.
  • Total 11,604,184,971,098 kWh
4,165,030,000,000 kWh Total electricity generated in USA in 2021
Electricity generation, capacity, and sales in the United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Finally I've provided facts for you... and you make some dumb ass comment like:
Actually if you have a small petrol motor just powering a battery in your car which powers an electric motor, they say you would get 200 miles to the gallon... WHO IS "THEY"?????

You've provided links that no one will read because they're bullshit.

Nobody is building nuclear plants any more, stupid.
Yes...because idiots (like you) hear the word "nuclear" and shriek, "THE SKY IS FALLING!"
You don't understand it. You can't explain it. Your reaction is to reject it out of hand because, to give us a considered opinion on anything, you'd have to learn something about it.

If you had bothered to learn anything about green issues at all, you would have an actual argument against them other than "I oppose anything the Democrats propose".
No...the problem is that he DOES understand it. That is why he dismisses it as idiocy.

Probably. Trucks use more fuel (the tractors at work get 6.5-7.5MPG) and many see a huge number of miles. The tractor I drove last week has been in service about 4 years and has 290,000 miles. It has burned about 45,000 gallons of diesel fuel. (For a visual, that is about four to five tractor-trailer tankers.)

Bullshit. You need to look up "capacity factor" and understand it.

The whole point whether it is wind turbines, solar panels or nuclear they will ALL require from $20 trillion to $40 trillion to build power generations for the additional 8 trillion kHs of electricity!

Windturbine4EVs.png

One more reason we should be selling Nissan's E power line of cars in this country

One more reason we should be selling Nissan's E power line of cars in this country

EPower is just a hybrid which is nothing new

EVs will dominate the future. Bitch all you want.
I'll remember that when I read your complaining you aren't able to use your computer as there is a blackout!
ON 14 August 2003, the north-eastern US and Ontario, Canada, were crippled by an enormous electrical blackout that affected 50 million people. Commuters struggled to get to work, ATMs failed, 36 car manufacturing plants were closed and hundreds of flights were cancelled, resulting in tens of millions of dollars in economic losses. The cause was later found to be a software bug in a control room in Ohio.

A few weeks later, the whole of Italy was cut off from Europe’s electricity grid for 18 hours after falling trees took out two power lines in neighbouring Switzerland.

And not one MSM has identified the problem that going EV will create.
In summary:
If all the cars and trucks on the road today are EVs or
1. The average American drives 29 miles a day or 10,592 miles using 0.346 kWh per mile or 3.06 trillion miles
That means 146,848,000 drivers will use 535,254,017,088 kWh in a year.
2. Trucks average 300 miles per day at 5 days for 52 weeks means 78,000 miles per year.
That means 37,900,000 trucks used for business purposes (excluding government and farm)
(37,900,000 X 78,000)= 2,956,200,000,000 miles at .346 kWh/mile or 8,543,930,635,838 kWh.
3. Total between cars and trucks kWh consumed by EVs: 11,604,184,971,098 kWh.
4. Right now the USA generates 4,165,030,000,000 kWh..
Electricity generation, capacity, and sales in the United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
NoW you tell me Where is the additional 11 trillion kWh going to come from at a cost of $20 to $40 Trillion for
either wind, nuclear and or solar?? Those are the choices that YOU not me will have to face!
Again, has anyone yet calculated as I have what the cost in just electricity for EVs?

View attachment 703855
Hi, healthmyths.

Neat analysis. While your conclusion is valid, I would like to point out that the average 1000 MWe nuke plant provides nearly three times as much electrical energy as your numbers which estimate 3B kwhs per year.

1000 MWe = 1E6 kW (1,000,000 kW)
1 E6 * 24 hrs/day * 365 days per year * 0.95 capacity factor = 8.3B kwh/yr (8.3 E9)

So if the rest of your math is correct, it will take about 1000 new 1GW nukes.

I think your conclusion that it would be in the range of $20T when all is said and done is accurate. Certainly upwards of $5T. And that's just for the supply. We would also have to build the delivery infrastructure which might double the cost.

(PS: The title of your post is missing three zeores - 8,300,000,000 kWh should be 8,300,000,000,000 kWh. Numbers this large call for the use of scientific notation - 8.3 E12, but most people can't follow that either, so 8.3 trillion kWh is better for the masses)

Keep calculating! Numbers matter!

Regards,
Jim
(just trying to be helpful)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back