Idiocy Hits The Photo Industry...

This is just so monumentally fucking stupid.

Fujifilm is following what Canon and Nikon have done and have decided to do away with the terms "master" and "slave" on their photo gear descriptions:

Fujifilm Has Just Dropped the Terms Master/Slave Following Canon and Nikon

I, for one, will never stop using those descriptions, because I'm smart enough to know that words can have more than one meaning, and I refuse to bend to appease those who want to find racism in everything they see and then demand change.

Fuck them.

I thought it was pretty fucking stupid when realtors in Houston decided they'd stop using phrases like "master bedroom" and "master bathroom". This is equally stupid.

You know, I wasn't a racist before all of this bullshit started. But all of this bullshit; changing terms, riots, CHAZ/CHOP, etc, is slowly turning me into one.

I'm seriously considering legally changing my first name to "Master"...
Easy there snowflake, they're just words.

The point is that society has decided that it needs to do away with anything and everything that someone might, somehow, perceive as racist or offensive. "N****r" is just a word (and I hate using it, by the way), but if I walk into the King Food Mart down on West King Street and shout it out, I won't make it to the door alive.

But it's just a word, right?
Oh, so you expect everyone else to be tolerant, but you don't have to be?
Tolerance is a two way street. Using the terms master and slave to describe the way components of cameras and computers work together is not racial. Lets not get carried away with the virtue signaling.

Exactly...

I can't recall using either term as it relates to a camera. Of course it's been a very long time since I've used the word "film" also.
It refers to lighting elements called strobes. First the master strobe light fires then the slaves sense the flash and fire as well providing fill light to eliminate shadows and or un even lighting.

Thanks. I guess I don't really do that kind of photography.
I did even out in the field. I did a lot of macro nature kinda stuff like flowers, fungi ie mushrooms, insects, etc getting up close and the magnification involved with the kens being so close to the subject made lighting extremely challenging.
I gave it up when they took my Kodachrome away.
Thing is I was instrumental in killing off chemical photography so I kinda shot my own foot off in that respect.

I am NOT a professional but it seems to me that the high ISO we can get from digital and the software to offset some of the negatives of that kinda starts to make things like this moot for most.
Nope. Sensitivity has nothing to do with how even or uneven scene lighting is. Lighting with multiple sources has to do with the balance of scene lighting.
Then there are issues regarding dynamic range which were more challenging with films and electronic sensors as well but it's a bit easier to overcome that with electronic sensors through multiple exposure. In fact the issue moves to the limited range of the display media and even the human eye.

On construction blue prints the term Master Bedroom has been replaced by the term Owners Suite. How long before the outrage over the word Owners?

On construction blue prints the term Master Bedroom has been replaced by the term Owners Suite. How long before the outrage over the word Owners?

I've heard of them using "primary" instead of "master"...

Master/Slave was common in audio where one tape recorder was used as the master clock to synchronize the slave recorders used to add extra tracks. It can be applied to anything in electronics where one device controls another device.

Master/Slave was common in audio where one tape recorder was used as the master clock to synchronize the slave recorders used to add extra tracks. It can be applied to anything in electronics where one device controls another device.
I believe that's the gist of it.

Fujifilm is following what Canon and Nikon have done and have decided to do away with the terms "master" and "slave" on their photo gear descriptions:

I, for one, will never stop using those descriptions, because I'm smart enough to know that words can have more than one meaning, and I refuse to bend to appease those who want to find racism in everything they see and then demand change.

Fuck them.

I thought it was pretty fucking stupid when realtors in Houston decided they'd stop using phrases like "master bedroom" and "master bathroom". This is equally stupid.

You know, I wasn't a racist before all of this bullshit started. But all of this bullshit; changing terms, riots, CHAZ/CHOP, etc, is slowly turning me into one.

The point is that society has decided that it needs to do away with anything and everything that someone might, somehow, perceive as racist or offensive. "N****r" is just a word (and I hate using it, by the way), but if I walk into the King Food Mart down on West King Street and shout it out, I won't make it to the door alive.

Tolerance is a two way street. Using the terms master and slave to describe the way components of cameras and computers work together is not racial. Lets not get carried away with the virtue signaling.
If they're just words when does it bother you snowflakes?

I mean, if they really are just words to you what difference does it make which ones are used?

Fuck them.

You're telling the wrong people.
No, I'm not. It goes both ways. If they're just words why does it bother you to change them?

Fuck them.

Exactly...
Nope.

You're wrong.

As usual.

Fuck them.

So what do we do? Instead of slaving one flash to the camera do we now Bow the camera down to the flash?

Fuck them.

No, I'm not. It goes both ways. If they're just words why does it bother you to change them?
Why change words because it offends you bed wetting chinamen?

Fuck them.

Why change words because it offends you bed wetting chinamen?
What are you changing words in China?

Fuck them.

I mean, if they really are just words to you what difference does it make which ones are used?
Because there is no end to it.

realtors in Houston decided they'd stop using phrases like "master bedroom" and "master bathroom".
There's a Spanish-speaking woman serving as a maid and cleaning house in those bedrooms and bathrooms. The buyer is required to pay her under the table, and no jewelry or guns are allowed to be kept on the property. You aren't the master of it anymore when you buy property like that.

Fuck them.

Exactly. Hammerheads can't seem to understand that.

We're slowly, but most definitely surely, becoming a culture of appeasement. God forbid some fuckin' black guy gets offended because some white guy has a "master" bedroom or that I, as a photographer, have "slave" strobes. No, we can't let that happen, can we?

I'm not subscribing to that mindset. Fuck that, and fuck everyone who thinks we should...

Fuck them.

Exactly. Hammerheads can't seem to understand that.

We're slowly, but most definitely surely, becoming a culture of appeasement. God forbid some fuckin' black guy gets offended because some white guy has a "master" bedroom or that I, as a photographer, have "slave" strobes. No, we can't let that happen, can we?

I'm not subscribing to that mindset. Fuck that, and fuck everyone who thinks we should...
Snowflake.

realtors in Houston decided they'd stop using phrases like "master bedroom" and "master bathroom".
There's a Spanish-speaking woman serving as a maid and cleaning house in those bedrooms and bathrooms. The buyer is required to pay her under the table, and no jewelry or guns are allowed to be kept on the property. You aren't the master of it anymore when you buy property like that.

Not really sure what any of that's supposed to mean, but thanks for chimin' in...

Forum List

Back