Idealogical Utopia

Pythagoras

Dec 24, 2020
Samos, Greece
I was reading through a book and found that Danial Malthus, according to the book, had several disagreements with his son, thee Malthus to be, Thomas Malthus. These disagreements were related to Malthus, the elder believing that these utopian ideas were the keys to the future. The utopian thinkers mentioned were Charles Fourier, Robert Owen, and Henri de Saint-Simon. Now, as I tend to do, I will not state my opinions on the matter; however, I am curious about your perspectives.

What do you think of the supposedly hopeful interpretation of Daniel Malthus? How do you feel about these individuals in their theories? Do you support any specific one? Are there questions you have raised from these ideas? Do you think they are a waste? Do you believe there are better ideas out there, and by whom? Do you have any changes you'd make to the experiments those figures attempted to reach a better result? Why or why not?

I was reading through a book and found that Danial Malthus, according to the book, had several disagreements with his son, thee Malthus to be, Thomas Malthus. These disagreements were related to Malthus, the elder believing that these utopian ideas were the keys to the future. The utopian thinkers mentioned were Charles Fourier, Robert Owen, and Henri de Saint-Simon. Now, as I tend to do, I will not state my opinions on the matter; however, I am curious about your perspectives.

What do you think of the supposedly hopeful interpretation of Daniel Malthus? How do you feel about these individuals in their theories? Do you support any specific one? Are there questions you have raised from these ideas? Do you think they are a waste? Do you believe there are better ideas out there, and by whom? Do you have any changes you'd make to the experiments those figures attempted to reach a better result? Why or why not?
This guy has the best perspective..Morgan Freeman that is.

I disagree with active population control of any kind which Tom Malthus seemed to believe necessary.

I disagree with active population control of any kind which Tom Malthus seemed to believe necessary.
Population control. Who will pay for future Social Security if their is no increase in the Ponzi Scheme? 10 payers have to put in for every 1 that pulls out.

Indeed, I also do not agree with population control; however, this is his father, who very much disagreed with his son's view. He believed that those who worked towards a utopia had the keys to the future as opposed to the pessimistic nature of his son.

I can understand that sentiment; however, this is about his father. His father did not develop the Malthus theories you are talking about. he did consider these Utopian Ideals. What is your take on him? Not his son.

That is the New Harmony, Indiana, experiment with Robert Owen. He bought it from the Rappites. Harmony Society: A Utopian Community

I always got the impression that the Rappites were con men. Owen also comes off as a bit shady.

Do you have a link to some info on the Dad? I'm not familiar with him. TYIA.

Last edited:

That is the New Harmony, Indiana, experiment with Robert Owen. He bought it from the Rappites. Harmony Society: A Utopian Community

I always got the impression that the Rappites were con men. Owen also comes off as a bit shady.

Do you have a link to some info on the Dad? I'm not familiar with him. TYIA.
Here is a link to the discussion between D. Malthus and his son T.R. Malthus; several different works and writers are discussed, and their pro/con is shown within it.

Forum List

Back