I was checking my data for a Book I am considering writing

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
I was talking to a couple of air power fans and it sounded like a bird strike or just a few pieces of bird shot would destroy a hyper kinetic missile and I realized that the navy has a drone that could send a huge cloud of bird shot down range that would probably kill any hyper kinetic missile. Is this wishful thinking or for real?

I heard LSD isn't great for humans but it seems you may already have experience there?

I was talking to a couple of air power fans and it sounded like a bird strike or just a few pieces of bird shot would destroy a hyper kinetic missile and I realized that the navy has a drone that could send a huge cloud of bird shot down range that would probably kill any hyper kinetic missile. Is this wishful thinking or for real?
Ask williepete . He's the resident expert on flying objects.

Force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.

At sufficient incoming velocity, a handful of sand could destroy a missile.

Just cast a protection spell to keep all that crap away from your little rocket. You're welcome.

That's why space debris is so dangerous to astronauts a piece of sand traveling at 20,000 mph can go through a space craft and cause catastrophic damage. a hypersonic missile passing through a screen of steel pellets would have the same effect I presume.

That's why space debris is so dangerous to astronauts a piece of sand traveling at 20,000 mph can go through a space craft and cause catastrophic damage. a hypersonic missile passing through a screen of steel pellets would have the same effect I presume.
Birds and jet engines. Birds win.

A phyrric victory for the birds.

A phyrric victory for the birds.
But a victory nonetheless..

The same kind that fires Hellfire missiles.
USAF uses Predators and Reapers that employ Hellfire missiles.
US Navy uses Firescout helicopter drones and some high altitude unarmed surveillance drones.

So again, which US Navy drone can send a huge cloud of bird shot down range?

Even if you wanted to arm a drone with a shotgun, how would that work? They can drop stores from wing mounted pylons, are we thinking they mount a shotgun on the wing? That would have very limited range and drones are slow, it's silly to think that would be effective in dealing with a hypersonic missile. There are gun pods with gatling guns but an M-61 gun pod weighs almost 2,000 lbs with ammo, you aren't putting that thing on the wing of any existing drone and since aim by flying it would be almost impossible to hit a hypersonic missile doing terminal maneuvers since drones are not agile.

Last edited:
US Navy uses Firescout helicopter drones and some high altitude unarmed surveillance drones.

Even if you wanted to arm a drone with a shotgun, how would that work? They can drop stores from wing mounted pylons, are we thinking they mount a shotgun on the wing? That would have very limited range and drones are slow, it's silly to think that would be effective in dealing with a hypersonic missile. There are gun pods with gatling guns but an M-61 gun pod weighs almost 2,000 lbs with ammo, you aren't putting that thing on the wing of any existing drone and since aim by flying it would be almost impossible to hit a hypersonic missile doing terminal maneuvers since drones are not agile.

As far as I can see, this is where the situation stands.

Air Force Seeks Hypersonic Attack Drones & Stealthy Deep Strike Drones for 2030 - Warrior Maven

As far as I can see, this is where the situation stands.

Air Force Seeks Hypersonic Attack Drones & Stealthy Deep Strike Drones for 2030 - Warrior Maven
that is scary

Look up "Phalanx CIWS"

Some of our ground based intercepts use something more comparable to ball bearings, but the hyper velocity missiles would be virtually impossible to intercept, particularly the boost-glide ones. Even the odds we could shoot down an incoming ICBM with early detection warning are slim. Our ability to shoot down multiple incomings is non-existent. When it comes to the big boys like the US-Russia-China we still fundamentally operate under mutually assured destruction--we could all pull off a surprise attack on the others, but to do so would overwhelm our own defensive capabilities.

Russia and China make noises like that doesn't apply to them. That nearly caused a round robin nuclear exchange recently because India and Russia are allies as are China and Pakistan.

Forum List

Back