I think the special election in PA will be a harbinger either way?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
The PA district in which tomorrow will be held a special election to fill Tim Murphy's seat (Murphy resigned in disgrace) is so stridently Republican that Murphy ran unopposed in 2014 and 2016, to say nothing of Trump's having won the election by some twenty-odd points.

Now I don't care what anyone says, unless the GOP candidate, Rick Saccone, wins by a landslide (20+ points), there is no way to construe the race as anything other than a harbinger of what's to come in 2018. And it's not hard to tell why. Saccone tied himself to Trump's coattails in every way possible. Most importantly, however, he adopted the Trumpian political strategy of spending much his time berating the other guy and talking about something other than his own clear and precisely stated policy positions.

Quite simply, Trump, is an entertainer, a huckster and cad, and everyone knows it (and, apparently based on the 2016 election outcome, enough Republicans at all don't mind that he is), but that sh*t won't fly when one isn't an entertainer. For my part, I'm just hoping that lots of Republican adopt that campaigning approach in 2018.

Not so sure. Murphy was a pro-union Republican...Saccone is not. My understanding is Saccone has not run much of a campaign and Trump and the RNC had to go in and attempt to bail him out.

Forum List

Back