Inside Biden’s Special Counsel Interview: Riffs, Jokes and the Occasional Flub

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
—When Joe Biden sat down in October with the special counsel investigating his handling of classified information, an animated president had a lot to say.

In a five-hour interview over two days, Biden tackled topics big and small, from Obama-era policy disputes to an ace archery shot in Mongolia and his fondness for electric vehicles he tested as president.

Hur in February concluded criminal charges against Biden weren’t warranted. But his report gathered even more attention for his description of the president in the interview as “a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” an observation that dealt a potentially serious blow to Biden’s re-election campaign.

The transcript of the sit-down, reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, paints a more nuanced picture.

Biden reminisced and cracked jokes, including that the FBI “knows my house better than I do,” after agents searched for sensitive material in his possession. Other times, he seemed irritated by questions about the minutiae of his office furniture. Hur’s team repeatedly pressed Biden for intricate details of how he used certain filing cabinets and boxes, in which investigators found classified material.

The transcript of the interview shows Biden discussing Beau’s death emotionally and at length, at times appearing to think out loud. At one point, he described his son as dying around 2018, as people around him encouraged him to run for president. When an aide corrected him that Beau had died in 2015, he acknowledged the mistake and described how Beau’s death weighed heavily on the decision to run for the presidency.

So, in other words, Hur - a Republican political operative lied when he could not dig up dirt on Biden? Why does that not surprise me?

So Biden thinks National Security is a joke, and get's irritated when it's suggested his storage area looks like that of a crackhead.

Forum List

Back