I swear it doesn't rain anymore...

... instead we get deluges. We haven't had a normal "rainy day" this year.
Every freaking time it rains - it freaking downpours!! Like 2 inches in 30 minutes!
What is up with this?

God is punishing you. Here is southside Virginia it has been a wet spring but we have had several slow soaking rainy days this year. Periods where it just drizzled for a few hours as well. Sure we have had heavy bands too, but those are less frequent.

1654115370831.png

Rain and romance

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

:)

More heat in the atmosphere allows the cloud tops to rise higher into the stratosphere collecting more moisture before they start to rain out. Because of this phenomena rain clouds are more likely to form thunderheads which tend to dump their rain quickly rather than drizzle.

In early 2000 I spent a year in a place called Alton Illinois and it rained hard for 17 days straight.... It would stop for maybe an hour a day and then another downpour would come....

More heat in the atmosphere allows the cloud tops to rise higher into the stratosphere collecting more moisture before they start to rain out. Because of this phenomena rain clouds are more likely to form thunderheads which tend to dump their rain quickly rather than drizzle.

There's a temperature inversion in the stratosphere ... a thunderhead might push the troposphere up into spaces that are normally stratosphere ... but the thunderhead itself is strictly tropospheric ... jet airliners fly around these events ...

More heat in the atmosphere won't do this, we need the extra heat in the lower parts, which make the lower air more buoyant and this air will rise in the atmospheric column ... we want "cold tops" for added convection ...

No location in the OP ... but the closest airport should have hourly rainfall data from the past 100 years ... my hunch the phenomena is normal, even common ... copy/paste the data into a spreadsheet and see what the statistics say ...

There's a temperature inversion in the stratosphere ... a thunderhead might push the troposphere up into spaces that are normally stratosphere ... but the thunderhead itself is strictly tropospheric ... jet airliners fly around these events ...

More heat in the atmosphere won't do this, we need the extra heat in the lower parts, which make the lower air more buoyant and this air will rise in the atmospheric column ... we want "cold tops" for added convection ...

No location in the OP ... but the closest airport should have hourly rainfall data from the past 100 years ... my hunch the phenomena is normal, even common ... copy/paste the data into a spreadsheet and see what the statistics say ...
Southern Indiana
And it isn't necessarily the AMOUNT of total rainfall.
It is how it is falling. Like I say, instead of slow soakers... it all comes at once.

Rainfall patterns have become more chaotic and more extreme everywhere. it seems we have what used to be once in 50 or 100 year weather events all the time now. There is more energy in the atmosphere so the weather is bound to be more energetic. Down here on the Gulf it's obvious in how much more quickly hurricanes strengthen. We are not necessarily having more of them but they have become wetter and longer lasting after landfall than ever.

Southern Indiana
It is how it is falling. Like I say, instead of slow soakers... it all comes at once.
We had a good one in southeast South Dakota a couple of days ago. Rained for about a half hour and filled my gorilla cart with about 4 inches of water, and the cart's parked under the stairs going up to my deck! Crazy! There were two tornadoes about 20 miles apart and my home is about midway between. I was talking to a local yesterday and she assured me that the radical storms we've been having are not normal. I hope that it all settles down soon. I grew up here and I remembered storms in the earliest and latest weeks of summer, but I don't remember them like this!

Southern Indiana

I'm sorry ... there's nothing in the Indianapolis statistics to back up your claim ... rainfall over the past 10 years has been about as average as average can be ... and Indy has the full 150 years of official weather records ... looks like 2010 was the last of a dry spell? ...

You should be getting most of your precipitation as cloud-bursts, or "cumuliform", from March to November ... what little precipitation you get in winter may or may not be "stratiform" and usually comes down as snow ...

Not to say what you're seeing isn't happening, this year may indeed be bringing more rain quicker ... but it doesn't look like a tread, next year could well return to more normal distribution ... this all depends on "how many butterflies are flapping their wings in Australia" ... if you get my drift ...

Forum List

Back