I see no need to own a cast iron pan

cast iron easily scratches induction and glass cooktops. carbon steel is lighter and therefore literally glides across the glass and does not scratch it.
What do you use? Paper plates and the microwave?
What I use is none of your business. I'm not the moron debating cookware. LMAO

CAST IRON: Lower melting point, greater fluidity than steel. 97% iron, 2% carbon, 1% manganese and silicon. What makes iron special is its high (highest) nucleonic binding energy.

CARBON STEEL: Typically 90+% iron, 2% carbon, the remainder various quantities of cobalt, molybdenum, niobium, tungsten, vanadium, zirconium, chromium, nickel, copper, manganese, phosphorous, sulfur, or silicon. Machine stamped from sheet.

STAINLESS STEEL: (Austenitic) Perhaps 50% iron with high quantities of chromium, nickel (20-25% each), other trace metals.

ALUMINUM ALLOY: 3xxx alloy of usually about 97-98% alumina, with traces of copper, iron, manganese, silicon, zinc and other metals.

CAST IRON: Lower melting point, greater fluidity than steel. 97% iron, 2% carbon, 1% manganese and silicon. What makes iron special is its high (highest) nucleonic binding energy.

CARBON STEEL: Typically 90+% iron, 2% carbon, the remainder various quantities of cobalt, molybdenum, niobium, tungsten, vanadium, zirconium, chromium, nickel, copper, manganese, phosphorous, sulfur, or silicon. Machine stamped from sheet.

STAINLESS STEEL: (Austenitic) Perhaps 50% iron with high quantities of chromium, nickel (20-25% each), other trace metals.

ALUMINUM ALLOY: 3xxx alloy of usually about 97-98% alumina, with traces of copper, iron, manganese, silicon, zinc and other metals.
Excellent research. I suggest you stick to putting a hotdog in a bun and microwaving it!
I will stick to my carbon steel pans

AMF to all. Time to go cook on my carbon steel pans and make a spinach omelet with feta cheese and the perfect seasonings

Why are you being a dick with me?
I told you Good For You and I don't care.
so what? is that a problem?

Post something related to the subject of Carbon Steel pans. I have to go to make an omelet.
Tomorrow is the best cornbread in the world.

AMF (Adios My Friend)

Good For You

You got a problem with this one as well?

You are too much of a PUSSY to disclose what types of pans you use.
Why do you care what kind of pans I use? I think you are so shallow that you look for validation of the type of cookware you use on a message board. LMAO. Run along little broomstick cowgirl, you'll feel much better after you get a good nigh-night.

Good research. Seems toobfreak will not agree. But hey, the subject is Cast Iron, and I agree, no need for cast iron. Innovation is carbon steel pans.
Really good, will not leach (lol dude you are not eating solder...) and the best chefs use carbon steel. Also my cornbread is the best in the world and it is cooked in a carbon steel pan.

I'm sure you are right. You prefer carbon steel which is understandable, cast iron has its adherents and like it for its weight (stays put better, doesn't tip), versatility and heat retention--- slow to heat, slow to cool. To each their own. Everyone wins as just more choices/options for the chef. Cast iron probably loses out in professional kitchens mainly because of time to heat and brittleness if dropped.

I've been thinking about replacing an iron skillet, but I may also consider a carbon steel one.

I have all sorts of cast iron, stainless and a few copper bottom pans. Some of my pans are older than I am and I am a young oldster. Two favs are a medium cast iron and a small long handled steel which is excellent for over easy eggs. The trick is quality of the steel and good seasoning of the pans. Over the years I have seen a few cast iron cheapies I would not give two cents for. It appeared that the steel and molds they were made with was crappy and very porous and would not season properly. China put out a bunch of cast steel teapots with that Mine ended up as a planter.

I'm sure you are right. You prefer carbon steel which is understandable, cast iron has its adherents and like it for its weight (stays put better, doesn't tip), versatility and heat retention--- slow to heat, slow to cool. To each their own. Everyone wins as just more choices/options for the chef. Cast iron probably loses out in professional kitchens mainly because of time to heat and brittleness if dropped.

I've been thinking about replacing an iron skillet, but I may also consider a carbon steel one.
Best of luck on your pan choice! Let us know how it turns out!

Concerned American has done nothing but troll the entire thread.
CA is a COWARD and will not disclose their cookware.
You should do your research before you exhibit your ignorance for all to see. If you had read the entire thread, you would know that I gave my opinion in three or four posts (really more than this thread should need). You would also know that I told everyone who cared what we have used during our entire life. So run along little missy, your tantrum has been noted.

Best of luck on your pan choice! Let us know how it turns out!

I've decided to try a carbon steel skillet. I'm curious to try one. Like Tunafish said, much like an iron skillet in some ways, but with many of the strengths of SS too. After consideration, I think I am going to try a preseasoned Lodge 12" fry pan. Though I would fully season it myself, it doesn't hurt that it comes already preseasoned, I like the 12" size, and the sides are a bit low as I like plus the shape is somewhat in the middle between an omelet and a fry pan, with angled, sloped sides. So, it should make an nice all around general use skillet. I also like that it comes with a removable silicon grip so you don't need to use a mitt if the handle gets hot. It comes with a nice tempered glass lid with a handle which makes it more versatile and allows you to see what the food is doing without releasing the trapped moisture and heat. Lastly, it's made in the USA which is a bonus and probably contributes to the entire deal only costing $72.00 compared to an import.

Interestingly, after I settled on it, I found an article which listed it as one of the best all around most versatile carbon steel skillets. I like a good, naturally seasoned non-stick surface that is easy to clean and doesn't need babying with plastic utensils and can take whatever I dish out whether roasting in the oven or outside on the grill. Wish me luck. Maybe when I get it, I will comment here.

I've decided to try a carbon steel skillet. I'm curious to try one. Like Tunafish said, much like an iron skillet in some ways, but with many of the strengths of SS too. After consideration, I think I am going to try a preseasoned Lodge 12" fry pan. Though I would fully season it myself, it doesn't hurt that it comes already preseasoned, I like the 12" size, and the sides are a bit low as I like plus the shape is somewhat in the middle between an omelet and a fry pan, with angled, sloped sides. So, it should make an nice all around general use skillet. I also like that it comes with a removable silicon grip so you don't need to use a mitt if the handle gets hot. It comes with a nice tempered glass lid with a handle which makes it more versatile and allows you to see what the food is doing without releasing the trapped moisture and heat. Lastly, it's made in the USA which is a bonus and probably contributes to the entire deal only costing $72.00 compared to an import.

Interestingly, after I settled on it, I found an article which listed it as one of the best all around most versatile carbon steel skillets. I like a good, naturally seasoned non-stick surface that is easy to clean and doesn't need babying with plastic utensils and can take whatever I dish out whether roasting in the oven or outside on the grill. Wish me luck. Maybe when I get it, I will comment here.
Great choice, Best of luck. Get one of these as well.

You should do your research before you exhibit your ignorance for all to see. If you had read the entire thread, you would know that I gave my opinion in three or four posts (really more than this thread should need). You would also know that I told everyone who cared what we have used during our entire life. So run along little missy, your tantrum has been noted.
GFY
I am not wasting my time researching anything about you. I am all about Carbon Steel pans and that is it.
You are a going on IGGY
AMF

You havent been keeping up.
I have a lot of Be Buyers French carbon steel pans.
They still dont compare to cast iron pans.
I have not heard of Be Buyers. Is that a knock off brand?
Oh I disagree. Carbon steel pans are superior to cast iron pans.
I agree with the OP. No need to own cast iron. I ditched mine 25 years ago.

Sorry, I edited that I think Woks are made of pounded steel but some are made of cast iron and, yes, they be heavy for sure!
the best woks are carbon steel. just like the pans, it heats quickly and evenly, is responsive to heat changes, is pretty affordable, and is easy enough to season and maintain.
I will never use cast iron again. I agree with the OP.

Many people are turned off by cast iron after a while because of the weight. Especially those suffering from arthritis.
And the fact it easily scratches ceramic cooktops and sinks as well. I ditched mine 25 years ago and went carbon steel.

I usually wash our cast iron skillet in cold water after use. Then I wipe it dry and apply a little oil. It is very seasoned.

I never use hot water or soap.
It is best to use hot water to wash cast iron. Reason being that cold water on a warm or hot pan can cause warping or cracking and hot water helps dislodge any oils or grease that may need to be removed. No, you will not hurt the seasoning of your cast iron pan with hot water.

Forum List

Back