I Rented an Electric Car for a Four-Day Road Trip. I Spent More Time Charging It Than I Did Sleeping.

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, and some derp US Senator from Michigan was bragging about driving her EV from Michigan to the City of Demons aka DC. Sure.

I thought it would be fun.

That’s what I told my friend Mack when I asked her to drive with me from New Orleans to Chicago and back in an electric car.

I’d made long road trips before, surviving popped tires, blown headlights and shredded wheel-well liners in my 2008 Volkswagen Jetta. I figured driving the brand-new Kia EV6 I’d rented would be a piece of cake.

New Orleans, our starting point, has exactly zero fast chargers, according to PlugShare. As we set out, one of the closest is at a Harley-Davidson dealership in Slidell, La., about 40 minutes away. So we use our Monday-morning breakfast stop to top off there on the way out of town.

But when we tick down 15% over 35 miles? Disconcerting. And the estimated charging time after plugging in? Even more so. This “quick charge” should take 5 minutes, based on our calculations. So why does the dashboard tell us it will take an hour?

“Maybe it’s just warming up,” I say to Mack. “Maybe it’s broken?” she says.

Over Egg McMuffins at McDonald’s, we check Google. Chargers slow down when the battery is 80% full, the State of Charge YouTube channel tells us.

Worried about time, we decide to unplug once we return to the car, despite gaining a measly 13% in 40 minutes.

By the time we reach our next station, at a Mercedes-Benz dealership outside Birmingham, Ala., we’ve already missed our dinner reservations in Nashville—still 200 miles away.

Here, at least, the estimated charging time is only an hour—and we get to make use of two automatic massage chairs while we wait.

Salesman Kurt Long tells us the dealership upgraded its chargers to 54-kW models a few weeks earlier when the 2022 Mercedes EQS-Class arrived.

“Everyone’s concern is how far can the cars go on a charge,” he says. He adds that he would trade in his car for an EV tomorrow if he could afford the $102,000 price tag. “Just because it would be convenient for me because I work here,” he says. “Otherwise, I don’t know if I would just yet.”

The following week, I fill up my Jetta at a local Shell station. Gas is up to $4.08 a gallon.

I inhale deeply. Fumes never smelled so sweet.

Yeah, and some derp US Senator from Michigan was bragging about driving her EV from Michigan to the City of Demons aka DC. Sure.

I thought it would be fun.
That’s what I told my friend Mack when I asked her to drive with me from New Orleans to Chicago and back in an electric car.
I’d made long road trips before, surviving popped tires, blown headlights and shredded wheel-well liners in my 2008 Volkswagen Jetta. I figured driving the brand-new Kia EV6 I’d rented would be a piece of cake.
New Orleans, our starting point, has exactly zero fast chargers, according to PlugShare. As we set out, one of the closest is at a Harley-Davidson dealership in Slidell, La., about 40 minutes away. So we use our Monday-morning breakfast stop to top off there on the way out of town.
But when we tick down 15% over 35 miles? Disconcerting. And the estimated charging time after plugging in? Even more so. This “quick charge” should take 5 minutes, based on our calculations. So why does the dashboard tell us it will take an hour?
“Maybe it’s just warming up,” I say to Mack. “Maybe it’s broken?” she says.
Over Egg McMuffins at McDonald’s, we check Google. Chargers slow down when the battery is 80% full, the State of Charge YouTube channel tells us.
Worried about time, we decide to unplug once we return to the car, despite gaining a measly 13% in 40 minutes.
By the time we reach our next station, at a Mercedes-Benz dealership outside Birmingham, Ala., we’ve already missed our dinner reservations in Nashville—still 200 miles away.
Here, at least, the estimated charging time is only an hour—and we get to make use of two automatic massage chairs while we wait.
Salesman Kurt Long tells us the dealership upgraded its chargers to 54-kW models a few weeks earlier when the 2022 Mercedes EQS-Class arrived.
“Everyone’s concern is how far can the cars go on a charge,” he says. He adds that he would trade in his car for an EV tomorrow if he could afford the $102,000 price tag. “Just because it would be convenient for me because I work here,” he says. “Otherwise, I don’t know if I would just yet.”
The following week, I fill up my Jetta at a local Shell station. Gas is up to $4.08 a gallon.
I inhale deeply. Fumes never smelled so sweet.

that kia uses an 800 volt system for quick charge.
There probably werent any 800 volt charging stations in the area, so it was charging at the slower 400 volt rate

What is New Orleans like anyway? I am interested in a haunted New Orleans tour. Seems fun even if you do not believe in ghosts or spirits.

EV's are just impractical right now because charging stations are rare, and not always compatible with the EV models.
Any idea what apartment dwellers are going to do? Assume a couple (both work and drive their own EVs) living in a apartment. How likely is it that the owners/managers of the complex will pay for chargers for each vehicle. How about those living on minimum wage living in public housing? Will the government give them a free car as if it was a cell phone?

Any idea what apartment dwellers are going to do? Assume a couple (both work and drive their own EVs) living in a apartment. How likely is it that the owners/managers of the complex will pay for chargers for each vehicle. How about those living on minimum wage living in public housing? Will the government give them a free car as if it was a cell phone?
Or even what about those who rent in duplexes and park in the street?

Or even what about those who rent in duplexes and park in the street?
How about taxis in major cities like NY? Someone isn't thinking this one through. Biden wants to force us into EVs by destroying the oil industries, but you don't do that until after a viable infrastructure supporting EVs has been made throughout the country. It would make better sense to encourage oil production and use the revenue generated from it to build a reliable EV infrastructure.

Al Gore invented an electric car that doesn't have to be charged, but it come unplugged when you leave the driveway.

that kia uses an 800 volt system for quick charge.
There probably werent any 800 volt charging stations in the area, so it was charging at the slower 400 volt rate

From the people who pretend to care about the environment and want to force the poor to go out and buy EV cars. 25% of all EV charging stations in the San Francisco region don’t even work. So if they’re not interested in maintaining infrastructure of their own pet project, nobody will.

From the University of California at Berkeley, so don’t even try to whine about the source:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2203/2203.16372.pdf

From the people who pretend to care about the environment and want to force the poor to go out and buy EV cars. 25% of all EV charging stations in the San Francisco region don’t even work. So if they’re not interested in maintaining infrastructure of their own pet project, nobody will.

From the University of California at Berkeley, so don’t even try to whine about the source:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2203/2203.16372.pdf
Couldn't find info on the exact location of the charging stations. Location may make the difference in care/maintenance. A high crime area probably won't be considered for who would want to service them. Thus for the poor (who couldn't afford an EV anyways) getting their vehicles charged would be a challenge.

Charging stations aren't cheap. Taxpayers will be paying for them and many taxpayers won't even be able to directly benefit from them.

A charging station supplies electricity to vehicles through its connection to the utility company. But these electrical conduits may require an upgrade, which can cost an average of $12,000 to $15,000, according to Future Energy.

Couldn't find info on the exact location of the charging stations. Location may make the difference in care/maintenance. A high crime area probably won't be considered for who would want to service them. Thus for the poor (who couldn't afford an EV anyways) getting their vehicles charged would be a challenge.

Charging stations aren't cheap. Taxpayers will be paying for them and many taxpayers won't even be able to directly benefit from them.

As soon as EV numbers grow expect subsidies to end and the user pays full price. California did that with HOV lanes, stopped allowing EV cars in.

As soon as EV numbers grow expect subsidies to end and the user pays full price. California did that with HOV lanes, stopped allowing EV cars in.
I'm wondering how many solar panels/windmills will have to be installed to power all the charging stations that will be needed to charge all the EVs on the roads.

There are 276 million vehicles registered in the U.S. according to US Department of Transportation.
That's a lot of vehicles to replace.

I'm wondering how many solar panels/windmills will have to be installed to power all the charging stations that will be needed to charge all the EVs on the roads.

That's a lot of vehicles to replace.
California can’t even keep the lights on now.

California can’t even keep the lights on now.
It might only get worse.

While solar power is a leading form of renewable energy, new research suggests that changes to regional climates brought on by global warming could make areas currently considered ideal for solar power production less viable in the future.
Even if the United States significantly reduces it's carbon imprint they can't control other countries from continuing to increase their own.

It might only get worse.

Even if the United States significantly reduces it's carbon imprint they can't control other countries from continuing to increase their own.
And the lack of anyone going after the worlds leaders in pollution and only the West only validates it’s all bullshit aimed at destroying Western Civilization.

But don’t worry. Our climate czar has 2 private jets, 4 mansions, a fleet of SUVs and 4 yachts to keep him preaching about evil Americans driving Toyota Camry’s.

Forum List

Back