I miss my hippy days

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
So...I played with my van. It was a pain in the ass to try to figure HOW I wanted this but I knew WHAT I wanted. Bean bag chair? Nope. They cost 200 bucks plus. Make my own? No clue how and no sewing machine. Crib mattress? Again, too much. Yard sale one? Nah. Don't want one with pissy smell. Twin top mattress would have fit, but too long and didn't want to experiment with cutting it to size. Frame? Build one with wood, but that means getting hubby to do a project and I wanted to do it myself. So...been thinking on this for about a month. Finally it hit me. I have a twin bed metal frame. Just cut off 2 inches so it is not so long. Did it with a hack saw and my hands are paying for it now but it worked. Slid it right in the van after taking the seats out in the back. Slapped Gracies old eggcarton doggy bed in there after removing the cover and keeping just the foam, laid it on top of the plywood I had the lumber store cut to size for me, threw some blankies on top and some body pillows. Total cost to make a bed for my van? 40 bucks for the plywood. This is the results:

331m2rc.jpg

Front seat view looking to back area.

15qu7w3.jpg

Looking in from slider side door. That box has storage stuff in it, plus there is extra storage underneath the frame.

Last edited:
It's not a conversion van. Just a mini van. No orgies, lol. Too old. But, it sure is going to be comfy when I go to the beach and crawl in the back to snuggle up with a good book while listening to the surf. And Karma will enjoy it back there when I take her to let her run.

I wished mine looked like that one!
Too lazy to go back outside to take a pic so here is what mine looks like via google (same color too)...minus the footrails which IS on mine.

2001_chrysler_town-and-country_passenger-minivan_limited_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

And the really nice thing about it is no need for drapes or mini blinds. Tinted windows! Can't see inside at all..unless someone peeks from the front windshield or side winders.

Have you considered investing in a ceiling mirror?
Y'all got dirty minds, lol. Its just for going to the beach , being comfy while reading a book, napping to the sound of waves. Now..if I were much younger...I would go to Pismo and pick up some guys. Nowadays..meh.

Why did those decked out mural vans go out of style? Anyone know?
They decided to paint on Uhauls instead.
So many of my RL friends want a van too..like the mural one. They, too, miss the days of getting in it and just putting around with no need of a motel.

what is that nice looking mural van , maybe a 70s cheby , I don't know where they went although I s'pose that gas milage had something to do with their demise . I don't know , just a guess .

Far out baby. :420:

You could also have gone with the makeshift water bed. Just don't take any roads with curves on 'em....

Sorry about showing off...

may112014018_zpsb4821ba5.jpg

This is my Mercedes Benz sprinter van. She was built to order for me in March, 2014. I can stand up in it with my hat on, it has more room than my first college dorm room. For a bed I just use a cot. She gets 27 mpg on diesel. My old van is for sale, it's a 2002 with only 400,000 miles, and runs great!

Sorry about showing off...

may112014018_zpsb4821ba5.jpg

This is my Mercedes Benz sprinter van. She was built to order for me in March, 2014. I can stand up in it with my hat on, it has more room than my first college dorm room. For a bed I just use a cot. She gets 27 mpg on diesel. My old van is for sale, it's a 2002 with only 400,000 miles, and runs great!

Nice. You can do a lot with those. First time I saw one was a friend from Switzerland living in the states. He had a big West African mask on the back wall. "Where'd you get that?" I asked. "Togo" came the answer.

They drove the van to fucking Togo.
thud.gif

Don't dwell in the dead past.

These sixties are way better than those sixties.

We got money now!!!!

Don't dwell in the dead past.

These sixties are way better than those sixties.

We got money now!!!!
I ain't got much, but it's SO much more than I had in the sixties that I feel rich. My van is the first vehicle I've ever had that I have to make payments on. Ouch! But I can live in it, so it's kind of like a house payment.

NICE van, bud! Dayum! I had a conversion van for a short time but it was wonky. So I sold it 30 days after I got it. This one has all the bells and whistles..even heated seats. But...I won't ever use that function. No need where I live. However, my wrists LOVE the power windows. No more cranking up and down. And it doesn't leak, like my other car does. And the stereo? omg. To die for! Heater makes noise so that will have to be repaired eventually but not right now. I was going to put a papasan chair pad back there but those cost 70 bucks new so that will have to wait, too. Extra cushion is what I want. But for now, it will do. I am eager to go lay in it when it rains and have a nap, lol. And park at the beach and listen to the waves. Ah. Memories.

Forum List

Back