I miss my hippy days

Don't dwell in the dead past.

These sixties are way better than those sixties.

We got money now!!!!
I ain't got much, but it's SO much more than I had that I feel rich. My van is the first vehicle I've ever had that I have to make payments on. Ouch! But I can live in it, so it's kind of like a house payment.
Exactly why I wanted THIS van. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. We don't own a house..and if anything ever happened to hubby...I don't make enough with my SS. Nobody I could go to. I may wind up living in my van. And now I can. That box with the zebra throw on it? A porta pot will fit in it cuz I checked. Bed and potty. What more could ya ask for?

The older I get..the less I need. Get a cell phone, a laptop..I'm good. :)

We got money now!!!!
I ain't got much, but it's SO much more than I had in the sixties that I feel rich. My van is the first vehicle I've ever had that I have to make payments on. Ouch! But I can live in it, so it's kind of like a house payment.
I ain't got much either, but it is all mine, and a check comes EVERY month!!

My SS check will be here Dec 3rd they said. I look forward to it, piddly though it is. Still, its enough to keep gas in it and food, if I ever DO wind up living in it.

NICE van, bud! Dayum!
My other van is just like my new one, only it's a 2002. It was used by a freight company, so if something broke that wouldn't stop freight from being moved, it wasn't fixed. It has a million things wrong with it, but the engine, trans, brakes, handling, safety, all that stuff is good. Broken AC, windows, doors, etc. It had 315,000 miles when I bought it, and has 400k now. I figured I'm getting old and I'd hate to still have some money when I die, and it would be nice to get something nice and new to last the rest of my life. The way my van is set up I can take everything out in about 15 minutes, and make it an empty cargo van like this:

may112014025_zpsc62016b8.jpg

Normally, after I've been traveling around for awhile, my van looks like this, my old van a few months ago:

may112014024_zpsb7cbf9dd.jpg

I've got everything a guy might need back here, refrigerator, bike, battery / inverter, guitar, clothes, tent. And plenty of room to walk around, get dressed, whatever.

These are my hippy days, at least they're supposed to be.

I ain't got much either, but it is all mine, and a check comes EVERY month!!
Yep, social security is just like unemployment except you do'n't have to pretend to be looking for work. The key is to learn to live cheaply!
I already eat like a bird. Don't go anywhere much..until now. Sold most everything I had so its down to the basics but NICE basics. I went back outside and played with it some more so those pics don't do justice to what it looks like NOW. Took some more throw pillows out there...another blanket, etc. I WOULD like to have some curtains but no way to hang them. So it will have to do, lol.

That van of yours..I could go wild in it! I'd have a mini fridge, small cookstove, tv, etc, lol.

I WOULD like to have some curtains but no way to hang them. So it will have to do, lol.
Curtains are a necessity sometimes, like when sleeping in a walmart parking lot. I use heavy duty trash bags and magnets for curtains. It works great! You can see my "curtain" in the picture of my old van, it's on the door, above the window. It's rolled up, held up with magnets. It's real easy to let it unroll and hang down, covering the window.

I can't do the magnet thing...nothing metal on the inside. Everything has felt-like panels or vinyl or plastic. Even the windows are not deep enough for a spring rod like for cafe curtains. I am looking for african or safari print sarongs..those are pretty light so I might be able to velcro them on the glass itself or use double sided tape.

I know a few plain clothed undercover hippies. They've got the mini-van with the tinted windows, and maybe a baby-on-board or pro-Highway Patrol sticker. Caravanning, they're not as likely to get hassled as if they drove the psychedelic magic bus.

And today, celebrate the life of Jack Bruce of The Cream, who passed away today at age 71.

We got money now!!!!
I ain't got much, but it's SO much more than I had that I feel rich. My van is the first vehicle I've ever had that I have to make payments on. Ouch! But I can live in it, so it's kind of like a house payment.
Exactly why I wanted THIS van. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. We don't own a house..and if anything ever happened to hubby...I don't make enough with my SS. Nobody I could go to. I may wind up living in my van. And now I can. That box with the zebra throw on it? A porta pot will fit in it cuz I checked. Bed and potty. What more could ya ask for?

I hear you when you say you need and want less.
I kick myself in the ass everytime I have to ass up $1200.00 for my electric bill in the summer.
Two more years and this house is gone and it's off to 400 acres and a well appointed shack in the boonies.
Town wont see me until I run out of good whiskey.

We got money now!!!!

"The more you know, the less you need." -Yvon Chouinard

In reaction to the financial crash, and the excesses of the '80s and '90s before that, there seems to a trend toward simplification. The tiny house movement comes to mind.

On the other hand, the new money in the developing world like China and India is leading to a previously unrealized hyper-consumerism, where people salivate over name brand trinkets.

Forum List

Back