I love casseroles..post your favorite.

My daughter makes a sweet kugel.....not sure of the exact recipe but it's egg noodles, cream cheese, eggs, butter and sugar....that sets over night and then the topping is crushed corn flakes, sugar and butter placed on top before popping in the oven.

We must have that recipe, Sherry!

I'm making a chicken pot pie for dinner...not a casserole technically, but the same idea..2 pie crusts, cubed chicken, carrots, cream of chicken, cream of celery.

The recipe called for cream of chicken and cream of potato, which is probably better but my store didn't have cream of potato.

Who knows what it will taste like but it smells good so far. It's all completely processed, pre-cooked, pre-prepared food...kinda weird but maybe the kids will like it. Me, give me anything in any sort of pastry, I'm good.

I'm making a chicken pot pie for dinner...not a casserole technically, but the same idea..2 pie crusts, cubed chicken, carrots, cream of chicken, cream of celery.

The recipe called for cream of chicken and cream of potato, which is probably better but my store didn't have cream of potato.

Who knows what it will taste like but it smells good so far. It's all completely processed, pre-cooked, pre-prepared food...kinda weird but maybe the kids will like it. Me, give me anything in any sort of pastry, I'm good.

I used to make chicken pies, until I finally decided to just make the insides and skip the crusts. My family does love the resultant chicken stew, though.

Tuna casserole is always nice, although I like to add some lowfat cheddar cheese and chopped red and green bell pepper to punch it up a bit. It also works well with chopped cooked chicken in place of the tuna.

Here ya go....

Ingredients:
-6 eggs
-1 & 3/8 bricks cream cheese
-1 cup sugar
-2 sticks butter
-1 t. salt
-1 t. vanilla
-1 lb. wide egg noodles cooked

Topping:
-1 & 1/2 cups Corn Flakes (crush after measuring)
-4 T sugar
-1/2 stick butter/marg. softened but NOT melted

1. Mix ingredients (topping not included) well in blender, but NOT noodles.
2. Butter a 13x9 Pyrex dish. Put cooked noodles and blended mixture in casserole
dish and refrigerate overnight (you may want to mix blended liquid ingredients with
cooked noodles in separate bowl before pouring in dish to make sure noodles are
completely saturated in mixture)
3. The next day, gently press over the top with the back of a spoon until liquid starts
to come through (this prevents noodles from crisping too much in the oven).
4. Prepare & sprinkle topping over noodles/mixture before baking.
*Note: Topping is best prepared using "Pulse" on a food processor or kneading the
mixture by hand in a large mixing bowl.
5. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour.

I used to make chicken pies, until I finally decided to just make the insides and skip the crusts. My family does love the resultant chicken stew, though.

Tuna casserole is always nice, although I like to add some lowfat cheddar cheese and chopped red and green bell pepper to punch it up a bit. It also works well with chopped cooked chicken in place of the tuna.

Chicken pot pie is great but mine sucked tonight... the element in my oven went out. No great loss; I thought that would be too much "cream of" and it sure was...

Here's another one my family likes.

Shepherd's Pie

Brown two pounds of ground turkey with chopped onion. Stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup and half-a-can of milk. Add a package of frozen peas and carrots. Spread the mixture evenly in a greased casserole pan. Spread mashed potatoes (you can use the pre-made ones if you like; just be sure you microwave them according to package instructions first) over the top, and spray with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake until the mashed potatoes brown slightly.

Sounds great. My mom made one similar when I was a kid.

Combine cooked hamburger,green beans and tomato soup. Scoop mashed potoatoes on top...bake.

Quick and easy.

I do the above in red, but I also add shredded cheese on top.

Then I used to make a great casserole when I was a married person (I don't cook like I used to, it's not fun and it's too much work to cook for just me or me and a grandbaby)....
Anyway, I would take about 1 and 1/2 pounds of ground beef, cooked.
Mix in one small tub of sour cream, one can of cream of mushroom soup, add 1 small chopped onion, and a small size bag of those frozen hash brown potatoes....then add a small bit of shredded cheddar cheese. Pour into 13x9 inch pan and bake for about 35 minutes, and then pour as much shredded cheddar cheese as you like, across the top of casserole and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
I love this stuff!

I made a pretty good one tonight, but it took a few steps...even so, it was super easy and cheap...one potato to dice.

Step 1

Ingredients:
1 pound cheap stew meat
1 packet Grill Mates Montreal Steak Marinade mix.
Mix calls for:
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Mix all above in a quart zip-lock bag and refrigerate 8-24 hours.

Remove 6 hours prior to mealtime and proceed to step 2.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2

Ingredients:
Marinated stew meat
1 ten ounce can of cream of mushroom soup
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 a soup can of water

12-16 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms

Drain marinade, dry off meat and sear.

Coat with all purpose flour.

In a crockpot, combine meat, soup and water.

Cook on high for 3 hours, add mushrooms, cook on low for 1 hour or until meat is "fall apart" tender.

---------------------------------------------

Step 3

Ingredients:
Contents of crockpot
1 large potato diced small (1/4 inch cubes)
1 cup uncooked macaroni
12-15 ounce frozen vegetables (I used Great Value stir fry)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1.5 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combined all in a 9 x 14 greased casserole dish.

Break up meat as well as possible.

Bake @ 350 for 1.75 hours, stirring once at the one hour mark to make sure the macaroni on top doesn't dry out.

Check a potato to make sure it is cooked thru.

Serve.

----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Forum List

Back