I knew that Roy Spencer is an arrogant bullshitter, but not that he is stupid to boot

polarbear

I eat morons
Jan 1, 2011
Canada
Get a load of this e-mail exchange and how he resorts to insults when he gets cornered by professional engineering science experts
in energy transfer which know a perpetual motion machine when they see one
Half way through he has to dump the "Yes Virginia cooler objects can make warmer objects even warmer"
And later he has to dump Trenberth`s "energy balance".
Then he resorts to the usual "climate science" childish debating cop-out, claiming he is thee autority, attacking his critics with insults
and lastly that he has no time to waste for any such peer review.
http://www.tech-know-group.com/archives/Back-radiation_Story_21Mar12.pdf
To: Roy W Spencer
Subject: No Virginia, Cooler Objects Cannot Make Warmer Objects Even Warmer Still Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 17:38:14 -0600

While Earth’s radiating temperature goes up and down from time to time, and atmospheric CO2 concentration has been increasing during the last few decades, I have yet to see a plausible theory connecting anthropogenic CO2 to significant temperature effects, like plus or minus 1C for say 10% changes in fossil fuel combustion. Any net steady-state effect appears to be vanishingly small. I believe there are numerous flaws in GHG theory.

My resume is available upon request.
Sincerely
Pierre R Latour, PE, PhD Chemical Process Control Systems Engineer
President, CLIFFTENT Inc., Houston

Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 5:49 PM
To: Pierre Latour
Subject: RE: No Virginia, Cooler Objects Cannot Make Warmer Objects Even Warmer Still
Hi Pierre: Good to hear from you. Rather than the hypothetical experiment with plates, etc., let me ask you one question: Why does a hand-held IR thermometer measuring a clear sky apparent temperature of, say, 0 deg. F, increase its reading to, say, 40 deg. F when it is pointed at a low cloud, in both cases the ground air temperature being (say) 60 deg. F? The point is that the sky-viewing portion of the thermopile warms when it is pointed at the cloud, even though the thermometer itself is warmer than the cloud. How do you explain that without downwelling IR radiation being part of the atmosphere's (and surface's) energy budget? -Roy

To: Roy W Spencer

Thermometers and thermocouples measure a different point property, thermal temperature of matter, the molecules surrounding the bulb or thermocouple, like the surface air around it. Radiating matter has two different types of temperatures.
That is why we use pyrometers to measure radiation
intensity of electric fields and thermometers to measure thermal heat intensity of gases, liquids and solids. (This is basic physics, chemical engineering and instrumentation business.)
One of many causes of confusion in the low level public literature on GHG is failure to understand these two temperatures and how they are related to two different physical phenomena and energy transfer mechanisms: radiation by 300k km/s pure energy field of zero mass and slow conduction/convection by matter.

Does your prompt abandonment of your hot plates thought experiment indicate you see I may have a point? How firm are you in your belief Cooler Objects Can Make Warmer Objects Even Warmer Still? If you have elevated that assumption beyond belief to knowledge and your mind is quite closed on the subject, please tell me in fairness; we are both busy.

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:56 AM
To: Pierre Latour Subject: RE: No Virginia, Cooler Objects Cannot Make Warmer Objects Even Warmer Still, v1.1
Pierre: But the IR thermometer measurements can prove the same point at night, too! OK, so do the test INSIDE your house....let the IR thermometer warm up in your hand, then point it at the inside of a refrigerator (reading a cold temperature). Then point it at the outside of the refrigerator (reading close to room temperature). (Turn the light off in the room and do it again. Same result.) And, yes, I am aware of the differences between thermometers, pyrometers, thermocouples, etc. I have not abandoned the theoretical example of hot and cold plates...instead, the IR thermometer test described above is the most direct proof of the concept, which you can perform yourself. Because the lens-illuminated side of the thermopile is actually changing its temperature in response to changes in incident IR, and will warm even if the object it is viewing is colder than the thermopile (when its field of view is changed from the inside of the refrigerator to the outside). Pierre, surely you are smart enough to recognize this as basic thermal radiation physics. -Roy

Open Letter to Dr S Fred Singer, American Thinker
By Pierre R Latour, PE, PhD Chemical Process Engineer, March 9, 2012

First, I recognize your expertise at evaluating climate data and UN IPCC conclusions for validity; you are well-known to have proven GHG Theory effects on AGW are greatly exaggerated and not supported by any reliable data. You go further to claim CO2 does cause warming, without proof or quantification. Your key seminar point was one cannot prove causality from trend data correlations as UN IPCC climatologists do. Process systems engineers learn this from birth. This is also why you cannot disprove causality from trend data either.

While I am unpaid and have no obligation to disprove the GHG Theory, you might like to learn about the much stronger intellectual arguments against that theory by your natural allies than merely analyzing data.
Fourth, you acknowledge that this thermodynamics “argument is used by physicists and even some professors who teach thermodynamics”. If my engineering support of that denier claim when I spoke to you personally at U of H prompted this acknowledgement, I am pleased.
Fifth, then you say you are surprised this thermo claim is used. Does this indicate you have not studied engineering thermo as carefully as UN IPCC data?

Sixth, I accept the data provided by you and Roy Spencer that the sky emits infrared radiation toward the earth. Everyone knows gas scatters and emits in all directions. But this does not prove that the warmer surface absorbs all or any of the back-radiation from cold CO2 molecules, thus emitting more infrared than otherwise and heating the Earth. I took some care to describe this in English and math in my No Virginia post. If you can invalidate or validate my proof, that would help reconciliation. I recommend you brush up on absorptivity, emissivity, scatter, reflection, transmission and conversion of radiation by colorful matter.
Seventh, my post and personal email reply to you and Roy Spencer on this issue

Ninth, since my claim and proof, supported by physicists and professors known to you, that GHG Theory incorporates a perpetual motion machine to drive global warming in perpetuity is such a momentous result, and GHG Theory is such a ridiculous and falsified theory, it is fair to say your casual dismissal with this brief paragraph is quite unscientific and an affront to the engineering profession. It behooves you to study this science more carefully. You really owe them some evidence to support your charge “their minds are closed to any such evidence” or a retraction, to restore your sterling reputation.

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:01 PM
To: Pierre Latour Cc: Roy Spencer; Lubos Motl; Will Happer; Ken Haapala; Tom Sheahen Subject: Open Letter
Dear Pierre I read yr Open Letter (received via John O'Sullivan)

I am happy to respond but do not expect that you will be convinced by my arguments. So about the best I can do is to state my point of view as clearly as possible. As I understand it you claim that anthropogenic global warming (AGW) is impossible since it violates the first and second law of thermodynamics -- acc to your essay "No, Virginia, cooler objects cannot make warmer objects even warmer still" dated 6 Nov, 2011 As I understand it, you deny existence of "Back-radiation" (often referred as downwelling infrared radiation). This Back-radiation comes mainly from CO2 and water vapor molecules in the atmosphere but is absorbed by the earth and therefore adds energy and heat to the energy received directly from solar visible radiation I note that you have composed this essay in responding to Dr. Roy Spencer. So perhaps it would save time for both of us if I just associate myself with his position and his arguments. I will only note that this downwelling radiation can and has been measured in studies, so there is little doubt of its existence. Once absorbed it must necessarily add energy to the earth. In my opinion, this does not violate the laws of thermodynamics. Best wishes Fred S. Fred

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 3:46 PM
To: S. Fred Singer; Tom Sheahen Cc: Roy Spencer; Lubos Motl; Will Happer; Ken Haapala; Tom Sheahen; Larry Bell; Subject: RE: Open Letter Exchange v1
Dear Dr S Fred Singer,
Thank you very much for your response yesterday and analysis of the physics of radiation by Earth’s atmosphere. I am grateful you took time to study my work. I assume you won’t mind if I publish our exchange.
I rest my case.

Dr Singer is wise not to expect me to be convinced by his arguments, because he has no valid ones. All he is left with is his point of view, his opinion, as he honestly admits. He failed to answer any of my charges.
Actually he erred slightly in restating my position, a common debating trick. What I actually claimed is GHG theory is built on a notion of back-radiation in the infamous Kiehl-Trenberth diagram, which does indeed violate the laws of thermo and cannot exist in nature.

Singer restates my definition of back-radiation quite well, assigning it the property to be absorbed by warmer bodies than itself, and asserting “is absorbed by the earth and therefore adds energy and heat to the energy received directly from solar visible radiation” and repeats himself with great clarity “once absorbed it must necessarily add energy to the Earth”.
Since his down-welling radiation emitted by cold CO2 is already energy of the Earth, both statements are either imprecise expressions of what he means or more likely confirmation that he believes energy is indeed created by the GHG Theory back-radiation idea, driving AGW in perpetuity, in agreement with my contention and a direct violation of the First Law.
Then Singer associates himself with Roy Spencer “to save time”, the policy of appeal to authority that prevailed from ancient times until F Bacon inaugurated the age of Reason in 1620 to supplant it. Kors, A, “The Birth of the Modern Mind”, Teaching Company. That authority argument no longer washes. It was superseded by science some time ago. It is clear Singer cannot support his position by himself and relies on Roy Spencer to handle it. Since I already successfully debated Dr Spencer on the same issue, resting my case seems to be appropriate.
Your key seminar point was one cannot prove causality from trend data correlations as UN IPCC
do
I agree; process systems engineers learn this from birth. This is also why you cannot disprove causality from trend data either. Just because the sun rises from yonder hill exactly 15 minutes before the rooster crows does not mean that rooster causes the sun to rise each day, fifteen minutes after he crows.
While Tom Sheahen does not quite address my argument, he is suspicious of GHG Theory as well. He may be skeptical, even a denier. He certainly does not dispute my analysis or support Singer. Sheahen asserts his central point that radiation into and out of a particular molecular band is not blackbody radiation. He understands CO2 molecules don’t just absorb, they emit as well. I shall accept it until I find a falsification, because black-bodies are a theoretical simplification of reality. I do think Earth’s matter is colorful. Which is why EMR is reflected, scattered, transmitted or absorbed and emitted. There is more to it than GHG Theory KiehlTrenberth diagram. It is called quantum chemistry and chemical engineering.
I rest my case.
I am your natural ally.
Pierre R Latour, PE TX & CA, PhD Chemical Engineer
President, CLIFFTENT Inc.
Houston

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 8:24 PM
To: Pierre Latour Cc: S. Fred Singer; Tom Sheahen; Lubos Motl; Will Happer; Ken Haapala; Tom Sheahen; Larry Bell Subject: RE: Open Letter Exchange v1

I must admit, I seem to be less critical of appealing to authority...when I'm the authority. ;)
-Roy

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:29 AM
To: S. Fred Singer Cc: Tom Sheahen; Roy Spencer; Claes Johnson Subject: RE: Open Letter Exchange v2

Should you care to learn about the experimental data that disproves cold radiation is absorbed and emitted from hot bodies, consider:
1. As two 100 watt incandescent light bulbs are brought together, their filaments continue to radiate 100 watts each, no matter how close they are.
2. As two focused reflecting headlights are directed at and approach each other, neither emits more brightly due to absorption from the other.
3. Moonshine does not warm hot surfaces during daytime.
4. GHG Theory back-radiation is never observed in natural gas fired furnaces, forges and boilers, heating flames even more. Engineers do not design radiant heat transfer equipment on that basis.
5. As colder IR emitting clouds pass overhead, their down-welling IR, detected by photometers, is not observed to be absorbed by hotter ground surfaces and is not re-radiated back up, warming the cold clouds one whit. For one thing the photometers Dr Roy Spencer reports pointing at the clouds are pointing in the wrong direction.

6. Cold, radiating CO2 molecules at 10 km may shine down the radiation they absorb from Earth’s surface and emit it in all directions, but it has never been observed to be reabsorbed by hot surfaces below.
7. The radiating colder plate hypothesized by Dr Roy Spencer does not heat the hotter one radiating to it, because energy does not transfer from cold bodies to warmer ones.
8. GHG Theory of back-radiation from CO2 creating energy has never been observed because it does not exist in nature.
9. Your suspicions should have been aroused when you read the quantities in the Keihl-Trenberth diagram were proclaimed rather than derived from physics, accounting for reflection, scattering and inverse square law and Beer-Lambert Law.
10. Reviewing my eight years of university science and engineering text books, all my professional acquaintances and all my readings since 1957, the literature of quantum chemistry and GHG Theory, I never encountered anyone promoting the notion cold body back-radiation warms hot bodies until Roy Spencer in July, 2010 and you in February, 2012. I cannot find any reference to quantify it. While being a minority of two does not make you wrong, it does make you a small minority.
The scientific and engineering consensus on this matter is universal because the data is overwhelming and thermodynamics rules.
Prof Claes Johnson has adopted a position similar to mine:
Claes Johnson on Mathematics and Science: Fred Singer Believes in Backradiation
His reasoning is at:
Two Proofs of Planck’s Law vs Backradiation – The World As Computation
With a bit more at: From Spectrum to Heat Transfer – The World As Computation
If you care to identify those physicists and professors you mentioned who agree GHG Theory violates the laws of thermo, I would be pleased to learn about their reasoning. If you come across any science to support your GHG Theory position, many like me would be pleased to review it.
I look forward to your next report on UN IPCC publications.

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:08 AM
To: Pierre Latour Cc: S. Fred Singer; Roy Spencer; Tom Sheahen; Claes Johnson Subject: RE: Open Letter Exchange v3

Dear Pierre, This rather bizarre 'discourse' seems to centered on the fact that the greenhouse effect that you are criticizing is essentially the one presented by Gore and possibly implicit in the Trenberth-Kiehl figure. This is not the greenhouse effect that Roy, Fred and I are talking about. The one we are talking about is the one that is actually working in all radiative convective calculations and in GCMs. Why don't you spend the little time needed to understand the difference?
Dick

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:15 AM
To: Pierre Latour Cc: S. Fred Singer; Roy Spencer; Tom Sheahen; Richard S. Lindzen Subject: Re: Open Letter Exchange v3
Dear Pierre:
I fully support your efforts to come to grips with the misconceptions carried by Roy and Fred (and probably also Lord M and Lindzen) as leading skeptics, of a greenhouse effect operating on "backradiation" or "downwelling" long wave radiation, misconceptions which are deeply troubling to the skeptics cause. I have myself tried to come to a constructive discussion with Roy and Fred, but I have not been successful.

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:42 AM
To: Pierre Latour Cc: Dick Lindzen; S. Fred Singer; Tom Sheahen; Claes Johnson; Larry Bell Subject: RE: Open Letter Exchange v4
Pierre:
Since Dick might be too polite to respond, I will.
When a scientist wants to learn what is known on a certain subject, he/she reads the pertinent literature. This is not easy, but it is also not our jobs to educate you on a difficult subject.
You could ask me to prove from first principles that force equals mass times acceleration (F=MA), but I am either going to ignore your request, or ask you to read the literature first.
Your requests waste everyone's time, and you seem to believe a lack of response means your views and criticisms have merit, when in fact they have too little merit to deserve a response.
If you want to play in this game and be taken seriously, do what scientists do...go do your homework first.
-Roy
-----
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:46 AM
To: Dick Lindzen Cc: S. Fred Singer; Roy Spencer; Tom Sheahen; Claes Johnson; Larry Bell Subject: Next Exchange, Lindzen & Latour
Dear Prof Richard Lindzen,
I am surprised you don’t want to talk about it. I hope you are not upset with me. You welcomed my inquires in the past. You are a preeminent teacher and writer on Greenhouse Gas theory. Every professor I ever met considered teaching a noble profession.

Now that you, Dr Spencer and Dr Singer are on notice a proof with backup evidence exists that the GHG Theory involves a perpetual motion machine, ethics calls you to 1) refute the proof, 2) study it and refrain from endorsing GHG Theory until the matter is settled, or 3) accept the proof and encourage others to stop working on a GHG Theory perpetual motion machine too.
I shall continue to read your publications even if you don’t want to read mine. I promote open debate, intellectual dialog and education. Heartland. (Heartland dropped your speech video May 17, 2010 in Chicago.)
Once I evaluate your model T = T0/(1 – f), I will keep it to myself until you ask for it. My plan is to verify the three variables relate to measurable phenomena, at least two can be determined from fundamental constants or well-known physical properties, the relation between them is based on established laws of physics, the relation fits data, the relation has predictive power, it contributes to knowledge and it is useful. Then I will make use it.

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:14 AM
To: Claes Johnson
Cc: Pierre Latour; Dick Lindzen; S. Fred Singer; Tom Sheahen; Larry Bell
Subject: Re: Open Letter Exchange v4
My blog post simply points out that less infrared energy escaping from the Earth to space leads to net energy accumulation, and a temperature increase.
If you consider conservation of energy a "triviality", I cannot help you Claes.
-Roy

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:52 AM
To: Roy Spencer
No Roy, this is a very important discussion which you attempt to kill with ridicule. Why not instead present your greenhouse theory, if you have one.
What you presented in Alabama two-step is a triviality.
You have taken an important role in the debate and you have a responsibility to live up to.

Claes

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:17 AM
To: Claes Johnson
Claes, are you suggesting it is unscientific to ask someone to do a little studying up, rather than agreeing to by tutored by us on the meaning of acronyms and other basics?
You are lucky that some of us still have enough patience to even respond to your comments. I sometimes get the feeling you only bait us so that you will have material for your blog.
-Roy

From: Pierre Latour Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:47 AM To: Roy Spencer Cc: Dick Lindzen; S. Fred Singer; Tom Sheahen; Claes Johnson; Larry Bell; Marc Morano Subject: RE: Open Letter Exchange Spencer v5
Dear Dr Roy Spencer,
Good to hear from you again. I respect authority, particularly when it is correct. Clever reply on March 15 below. I deduce you selected Option 3: Adopt GHG Theory in my email (I deny it was angry or belligerent). May I publish our exchanges?
Agree on research. When a professional engineer wants to learn what is known on a certain subject, he/she reads the pertinent literature. Then evaluates it, draws conclusions, categorizes it as information, belief or knowledge, and tests it if they are so inclined. Sometimes it is easy; sometimes it is hard. Depends on the ability of the author and the reader; the teacher and the student; complexity of the subject.
Authority 101. What is the source of your authority? Limited to what fields? What are your credentials? Are you an authority on engineering thermodynamics? Why do you believe you are competent to recognize when a theory will result in a perpetual motion machine and can you provide reasons to certify GHG Theory does not constitute one? Have you ever done it? Do you know the difference between the First Kind and the Second Kind? Would you like me to guide you to the appropriate references? Are you an authority on detecting attempts to build perpetual motion machines? (I am.) If you have any problems or questions about my helpful No Virginia rebuttal, are you able to formulate them? Are you aware the main reason great engineers like Michael Faraday, Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse and Henry Ford refrained from working on perpetual motion machines was because they were avid students of their predecessor engineer, Sadi Carnot, 1824? Do you know what he proved? Cold plates don’t heat hot plates. Do you have any issues with these other engineers, or just me?
Position of authority. Some perceive your position on a high mountain, in a tall ivory tower, on top of a pinnacle, inside clouds that look like fog. Seriously. I am just trying to save you from embarrassment. Honestly. Why would you object to an engineer reviewing your work?

Your first Yes Virginia on July 23, 2010 did not go over so hot; your second Alabama Two Step attempt on March 14, 2012 flopped more quickly. Was it a response to Dr Fred Singer’s March 11, 2012 request of you to defend him? Would you be interested in a low cost professional peer review of your Alabama Two Step by a Texas Two Stepper? You got 250 replies in first 48 hours! Many thoughtful ones rebutted you with less care than I did. Don’t tell me there is wide consensus supporting your position. In fact Alabama Two Step was quite a step back from your Yes Virginia, at least two. Dr Singer must be disappointed in your performance defending his indefensible support of perpetual motion machines. No new physics. Where is the beef? What is your job anyway? Since you and Dr Singer deny the Second Law of thermo applies to “down-welling” radiation from cold to hot matter, I have an impeccable reference that says you are deniers too, Webster’s Dictionary.
It is not my job to prove GHG Theory embodies the notion of a perpetual motion machine to sustain AGW, I just did it as a favor to you. It is your job to deny it because you publically affirmed it in July 2010 Yes Virginia.
Do you consider yourself a teacher, a student, or neither? I ask that because some who have tried to teach you about how radiation works feel despair at your inability to learn.
Literature. If you wish me to infer that you claim I have not read the pertinent literature before daring to rebut you, you need some evidence to back up that charge. I reported I read your essay and all bloggers. You did not demand that of any of your bloggers, many of whom refuted your essay, just as you invited us to do, so why single me out for unfair innuendo? Your proper move was to 1) refute my rebuttal if you can, 2) acknowledge you are analyzing it carefully, 3) accept it with professional grace, or 4) cover up my rebuttal. When a debater resorts to personal attacks it is a clear sign they realize they lost the debate but lack the ability to admit it. I learned this law of human nature in high school debate club, 1955. When a debater resorts to saying his opponent "wastes everyone's time", that is considered a very weak reason for avoiding or blocking debate. Professional engineers are trained not to do that. Court juries are too.

Proof requested. I do indeed ask you to prove from first principles your very important public back-radiation claim. Or at least provide some references to support it. Asking your students to scour www and Library of Congress to verify your bizarre claim cold heats warm asks too much. You are free to ignore mine and ask me to read more unspecified literature until the cows come home, but that simply confirms your No Virginia essay cannot stand on its own. Your second essay blog creation on the same subject, Alabama Two Step, shows you concluded your first
one didn't express what you meant to your satisfaction or do the job you intended. To be clear, it didn’t pass muster. I welcome your next attempt.

From: Pierre Latour Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:00 PM To: Marc Morano Cc: Dick Lindzen; S. Fred Singer; Tom Sheahen; Claes Johnson; Larry Bell; Roy Spencer Subject: Perpetual Motion Machine Work
Marc,
I discovered GHG – AGW promoters are relying on a Perpetual Motion Machine, PMM12, to drive warming in perpetuity!
Remember me, the registered chemical process control engineer you placed in US Senate 700 Dissenters List,
pg 87 because I proved during 1997 Kyoto any thermostat for whole Earth adjusting fossil fuel combustion would never work?
Good Stuff. Well many engineers have studied a basic tenet of GHG Theory: cold atmospheric CO2 radiates IR back down with sufficient intensity that Earth’s warm surface, that radiated it up to them, will absorb all of it and radiate it back up, as shown in famous Kiehl-Trenberth diagram explaining GHG Theory that drives AGW. They concluded that 333 w/m2 Back Radiation at far-right would constitute heat transfer from cold to hot, a violation of the Second Law of thermodynamics.

Dr Roy Spencer brought this issue to the world’s attention in July, 2010 with Yes Virginia. I looked into it and discovered that back-radiation assumption mathematically leads to energy creation, just what AGW promoters need to drive AGW. I posted my analysis No Virginia. Cold plates do not warm hot plates. Prof Claes Johnson has the quantum physics to explain why radiation doesn’t work that way. This means a perpetual motion machine concept, PMM, is the real foundation of GHG Theory and explains why that theory cannot predict anything, there is nothing to it. Until the world realizes they are wasting time and treasure in perpetuity researching to build an impossible thermostat with a PMM, they will continue working, researching and spending in perpetuity. We are talking about real money here, eventually
Since then Dr Fred Singer personally confirmed to me he knows of other scientists and professors that share that conclusion. A dialog on the matter ensued between Dr Roy Spencer, Dr Pierre Latour, Dr Fred Singer, Dr Richard Lindzen and Dr Claes Johnson. I copied you on some. I have collected the Spencer-Latour-Singer-Lindzen-Johnson exchange in attached Singer Letter 9Mar12.pdf.
You will note Lindzen says our exchange “seems to be centered on the fact that the greenhouse effect that you are criticizing is essentially the one presented by Gore and possibly implicit in the Trenberth-Kiehl figure.” Since that is precisely the greenhouse effect we are criticizing, I assume Dr Lindzen has some misgivings about that theory like so many engineers do and may be open to reviewing my thermodynamic analysis, supported by physics Professor Claes Johnson.
Pierre R Latour, PE Texas & CA, PhD Chemical Engineer,
President, CLIFFTENT Inc., Houston
And there You have it...it`s what many others and I have been saying all along in this forum.

Last edited:
Excellent post. I have read Spencer's "Yes Virginia" mental experiment and watched engineers tear his experiment into small pieces. I haven't seen the other crosstalk you posted. All warmists should read this although I doubt that it will make any difference. Those luke warmers among us (and you know who you are) should take a good look at this as well and stop arguing in favor of the magic only weaker magic than the warmists believe in.

S. Fred Singer - SourceWatch

Tobacco Industry Contractor

In 1993, Singer collaborated with Tom Hockaday of Apco Associates to draft an article on "junk science" intended for publication. Apco Associates was the PR firm hired to organize and direct The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition for Philip Morris. Hockaday reported on his work with Singer to Ellen Merlo, Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs at Philip Morris.[17]

In 1994, Singer was Chief Reviewer of the report Science, economics, and environmental policy: a critical examination published by the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution (AdTI). This was all part of an attack on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency funded by the Tobacco Institute over a risk assessment on environmental tobacco smoke. [18] At that time, Mr. Singer was a Senior Fellow with AdTI.[19]

"The report's principal reviewer, Dr. Fred Singer, was involved with the International Center for a Scientific Ecology, a group that was considered important in Philip Morris' plans to create a group in Europe similar to The Advancement for Sound Science Coalition (TASSC), as discussed by Ong and Glantz. He was also on a tobacco industry list of people who could write op-ed pieces on "junk science," defending the industry's views.39" [20]

In 1995, as President of the Science and Environmental Policy Project (a think tank based in Fairfax, Virginia) S. Fred Singer was involved in launching a publicity campaign about "The Top Five Environmental Myths of 1995," a list that included the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's conclusion that secondhand tobacco smoke is a human carcinogen. Shandwick, a public relations agency working for British American Tobacco, pitched the "Top Five Myths" list idea to Singer to minimize the appearance of tobacco industry involvement in orchestrating criticism of the EPA. The "Top Five Environmental Myths" list packaged EPA's secondhand smoke ruling with other topics like global warming and radon gas, to help minimize the appearance of tobacco industry involvement in the effort. According to a 1996 BAT memo describing the arrangement, Singer agreed to an "aggressive media interview schedule" organized by Shandwick to help publicize his criticism of EPA's conclusions.[21]

In 1993, Singer collaborated with Tom Hockaday of Apco Associates to draft an article on "junk science" intended for publication. Apco Associates was the PR firm hired to organize and direct The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition for Philip Morris. Hockaday reported on his work with Singer to Ellen Merlo, Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs at Philip Morris.[17]

In 1994, Singer was Chief Reviewer of the report Science, economics, and environmental policy: a critical examination published by the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution (AdTI). This was all part of an attack on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency funded by the Tobacco Institute over a risk assessment on environmental tobacco smoke. [18] At that time, Mr. Singer was a Senior Fellow with AdTI.[19]

"The report's principal reviewer, Dr. Fred Singer, was involved with the International Center for a Scientific Ecology, a group that was considered important in Philip Morris' plans to create a group in Europe similar to The Advancement for Sound Science Coalition (TASSC), as discussed by Ong and Glantz. He was also on a tobacco industry list of people who could write op-ed pieces on "junk science," defending the industry's views.39" [20]

In 1995, as President of the Science and Environmental Policy Project (a think tank based in Fairfax, Virginia) S. Fred Singer was involved in launching a publicity campaign about "The Top Five Environmental Myths of 1995," a list that included the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's conclusion that secondhand tobacco smoke is a human carcinogen. Shandwick, a public relations agency working for British American Tobacco, pitched the "Top Five Myths" list idea to Singer to minimize the appearance of tobacco industry involvement in orchestrating criticism of the EPA. The "Top Five Environmental Myths" list packaged EPA's secondhand smoke ruling with other topics like global warming and radon gas, to help minimize the appearance of tobacco industry involvement in the effort. According to a 1996 BAT memo describing the arrangement, Singer agreed to an "aggressive media interview schedule" organized by Shandwick to help publicize his criticism of EPA's conclusions.[21]

I would have welcomed debating You on the subject which was discussed in the e-mail exchange between Spencer and the other engineers and am a little disappointed that You chose instead to single out Singer and what he had to say 17 years ago about a totally unrelated subject, namely second hand smoke & cancer.
Even there I have to point out that the statistics supporting this hypothesis are just as weak to prove causality as CO2 and temp increase.
The best the second hand smoke statistics can offer was:
Tobacco smoking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lung cancer occurs at non-smokers in 3.4 cases per 100 000 population.
And now remember, it was in (only) 3.4 lung cancers that occurred while 999 996 people that were also exposed to second hand smoke had no cancer only 26 studies out of 33 were attributed to second hand smoke. And that`s where the spin doctors did their magic as usual:
Tobacco Education Center

So, if anything, the studies should underestimate the risk of secondhand smoke. Despite the unknown variables, 26 of the 33 studies indicated a link between secondhand smoke and lung cancer. Those studies estimated that people breathing secondhand smoke were 8 % to 150 % more likely to get lung cancer sometime later.
Seven of the 26 positive studies included enough subjects, and found a sufficient effect, to attain "statistical significance," meaning there was no more than a 5 % probability that the results in those studies occurred by chance
Let us suppose there is a lady like this for real:
7099d2.jpg

And and she would have to make a decision based on the above claim..while all the while she can`t see the words "tobacco smoking" and "lung cancer". What are the minimum standards to pronounce a guilty verdict as far as reasonable doubt is concerned. Is it a 90% certainty or a 95 % certainty or even better that the causality can be stated and there is a 5 or even 10% uncertainty that someone who is not guilty is pronounced guilty...?
The accuser could not even muster the 5 out of 100 that did get cancer this way...and can at best claim that they might get it later.
And how the heck would 150% ...that`s 150 out of 100 people "probably" get it later.
In addition to that the 26 out of 33 studies that claim so amount to only 100* 26 /33 = 78.8 % not 95 %...!!!
Which leaves a probability of 21 % that there is no link or causality

The absolute minimum standard even the most blatant claims dare to adopt for statistical significance is :
Statistical significance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10% (0.1), and in hard science we use 0.1% (0.001) meaning there is only a 1 in 1000 chance that there was no causality.

One could make a much better case why peanuts & peanut butter should be outlawed, not just on school lunch sandwiches because when a kid has a peanut allergy attack there is no question at all about causality...it`s a 100% certainty..!!!

Would You like to live in a rubber room world which has been designed by nanny state freaks?
Seeing You like living in the Oregon Mountains I`m pretty sure You like Your freedom as much as I do.

Had Singer 17 years ago not argued what You criticize him for today then I would not consider him a scientist either.
But we weren`t talking about if Singer likes tobacco, were we.
Why change the subject matter from substance to a credibility attack on dissenting engineers and hard science. Let`s stick with the fact that Roy Spencer is promoting a CO2 back-radiation perpetual motion machine and it`s coming to the attention of more and more engineers...and the best Roy Spencer can do is avoiding debate and is instead resorting to personal & credibility attacks,...naming himself the absolute "authority" in heat transfer.

"H".a.k.a."OldRocks" .I have learned enough about You with our private e-mail exchange and know that You are intelligent.
Please use Your intelligence to consider where America is going if the IPCC and the U.N. in general get their way...using "science arguments" the likes of Roy Spencer, supported by the likes of Al Gore...

Communists had a name for people like that...they were called "useful idiots"...why would any American want to join these ranks...?

I implore You
and all others not to cave into this erosion of rights to make sovereign decisions on a national level and even on a personal level, as is already the case with E.U. member states....and anyone who is so unfortunate having to live in one of those.
Once the U.N. has a precedent foothold into global taxation and policy making there will be no way to stop it,...just as no one can stop the non-elected bureaucrats in Brussels any more. The latest thing they decreed was that beer in England can`t be sold in pints any more...!!!....and the famous & tasty French cheese will also be a thing of the past...from now on only cheese that meets the Brussels "standard" can be made, sold and consumed..
Nobody in Europe ever dreamed that Brussels would go that far after they had their Carbon Tax mandate.
And Brussels is not anywhere near as unaccountable and corrupt as today`s U.N. officials are.

Last edited:

Circumstantial ad hominem? That's your argument? If you are worried about money corrupting scientists, you would be very worried about the billions coming in from who knows where to fund climate scientists. So much more than skeptics will ever see and yet, you believe them in spite of the money.

Integrity isn't really your thing, is it. I bet you are one of those "ends justify the means" types who would see any amount of suffering so long as you believed things were going your way.

Excellent post. I have read Spencer's "Yes Virginia" mental experiment and watched engineers tear his experiment into small pieces. I haven't seen the other crosstalk you posted. All warmists should read this although I doubt that it will make any difference. Those luke warmers among us (and you know who you are) should take a good look at this as well and stop arguing in favor of the magic only weaker magic than the warmists believe in.

Concerning Roy Spencer`s "simple experiment" I have posted this over a year ago on my own website...:
The Roy Spencer China Syndrom

According to Spencer all engineers who have designed heat exchangers and heat sinks have been idiots because according to Roy Spencer.. instead of efficiently dumping heat the "back radiation" between the fins would make the temperature run amok:
powertransistoronnikkot.jpg

heatsinkimages.jpg

But Roy`s defenders keep coming back with ever more "simple experiments" like this one I just debunked a little while ago:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kwtt51gvaJQ"]The Greenhouse Gas Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe we should re-visit that again:
He places a heat lamp with which You could roast chickens 4 cm from a corked up bottle filled with CO2 @ a concentration of almost 100 % and it took him 55 minutes to get a 9 deg temperature increase .

Compare that with even the most modest claims "climate scientists" make about CO2.. which is a "back radiation" of 4.3 watts per m^2 at 380 ppm
Since CO2 can`t just radiate down it must do so also in the opposite direction...so it supposedly radiates 8.3 watts per m^2
Beer Lambert`s law used with the molar extinction coefficient tells us that 100% extinction at the [FONT=Arial, Geneva]15 µm happens after a 10 meter absorption path length[/FONT].
With 380 ppm "Molar" You only got 0.0074 kg to do all that in a 1 m^2 base and a 10 meter long (= 10 M^3) air column.
The specific heat for CO2 is 0.846 kJoules per Kilogram degree
To get an idea how exaggerated these back-radiation ===> elevated temperature claims really are do the math in Calories per second, since they want to talk about the temperature increase380 ppm are supposed to cause.
If 380 ppm CO2 are "radiating" 8.3 Watts per m^2 then then it would have to cool down at a rate of 1.366 deg Celsius per second...but it does not if the energy it gets from the earth "black body radiation" heats it at the same rate of 1.366 deg C per second during the same 1 second time interval.
The question is now, can it do that...with only 380 ppm CO2 ?
according to the Youtube video guy that does that Gov. sponsored "experiment" video not even 100 % CO2 confined in a corked bottle and only 40 cm from a chicken roaster heat lamp could do that...
It took him 55 minutes to heat it up by 9 degrees...= 0.0027 deg C per second.
That`s 500 times too slow...with 100% CO2,..!!! But according to Roy Spencer if You use 2631 less CO2 than the guy in the video it can keep up.

It follows then according to Roy Spencer that all these CO2 absorption measurements that have been made ever since Infrared Spectrophotometers existed are all wrong too:

co2absorption.jpg

It`s like saying You could take shelter from the rain while standing under a hydro-wire..!!

As You can see even the Youtube video guy can possibly manage to grab only a little over 0.2 % of the "heat energy" that a bottle filled with 100% CO2 can absorb from a chicken roaster heat lamp only 40 cm away.

But just as soon as any engineer points out how full of bullshit Roy Spencer and "Trenberth`s Energy budget" is the subject is switched to how many "climate scientists" agree with Spencer and so on...and continues with personal attacks & insults.

Last edited:
You aware Dr. Roy Spencer is one of the most famous AGW denialists, no? I'm a bit confused, as to why you think a denialist supposedly getting it wrong means the AGW scientists got it wrong.

However, I'm not sure Spencer is wrong. It's hard to tell, given how what you've presented bears so many of the hallmarks of pseudoscience. That is, it's full of your personal attacks, it never states a point, it's full of extraneous gibberish, and it uses big red fonts. Instead of that nonsense, try acting like a scientist. State a point simply and directly, and back it up.

And most importantly, lose the engineer's conceit. It makes you look absurd. Engineers usually suck rocks at science, and top it off with being too freakin' arrogant to understand how badly they suck at science. Being able to assemble a system has no bearing on whether someone understands the actual physics behind it. You and Pierre Latour demonstrate that with your really awful attempts at "analysis". There aren't enough facepalms to describe how bad it was.

And one more thing: lose the right-wing-crank political gibberish conspiracy theories. Everyone just assumes you're a retarded political cultist when you act like that.

Last edited:
You aware Dr. Roy Spencer is one of the most famous AGW denialists, no? I'm a bit confused, as to why you think a denialist supposedly getting it wrong means the AGW scientists got it wrong.

Spencer is a luke warmer. He beleives in the magic. He just doesn't believe the magic is as strong as true believers like you think it is.

You pile praise on the red-fonted idiot rants, and then call me a true believer? I find that amusing, a brainwashed cultist like you projecting your own mindlessness on to rational people.

You want respect? Learn science and logic. Stop regurgating debunked denialist mantras. Have the courage to defy your political cult. As Dr. Spencer politely told the crank, learn the basics of the science before you go off embarrassing yourself.

You pile praise on the red-fonted idiot rants, and then call me a true believer? I find that amusing, a brainwashed cultist like you projecting your own mindlessness on to rational people.

I can't help but notice that you never actually argue the topic. You call names and pretend to discuss the science, but you never quite get there. You don't even seem to know that spencer is a luke warmer who believes that CO2 can cause the planet to warm. If you don't have a handle on that very basic fact, then why are you even here?

You want respect? Learn science and logic. Stop regurgating debunked denialist mantras. Have the courage to defy your political cult. As Dr. Spencer politely told the crank, learn the basics of the science before you go off embarrassing yourself.

Sorry guy, its' you who is lacking in the science and logic department. As to dr spencer, you must have missed him getting himself a new a$$hole torn when he posted is idiot mind experiment claiming that a cool object could further warm a warmer object. He was forced to publicly retract that bit if idiocy. Some expert who is that far off target where basic physics are concerned.

Bernard- sorry I didnt get back to you on this earlier.

I have read the engineer's first letter in the past but I hadnt seen this email exchange before. there are a few things I find amusingly funny, and a few more that I find enlightening.

first off, let's get it straight that I dont think CO2 is a major player in climate change and its not going to cause any tipping points or even cause any temperature increase that is realistically observable from the background noise of all the other factors involved. CO2 is not a climate control knob and the only reason climate models say it is, is because climate computer models are programed to say it is and they ignore or missweigh other factors. that said, I find extreme skeptics that say CO2 has no influence at all, that physics supposedly proves it can do nothing, are just as misguided as the CAGW true believers.

now for the comic relief. the engineer and his 'buddies' say blah, blah, blah. Spencer and Singer say not so much. then the engineer claims CONSENSUS amongst the people he knows!!! hahahahahahaha. where have we heard consensus amongst buddies before? justifiably skeptics pointed out that the AGW consensus didnt prove they were right but now the band of engineers just KNOW they are right because they all agree. hahahahaha

interesting point. conservation of energy. if the downward component of CO2 radiation doesnt get absorbed by the surface, where does it go? does the second law trump the first law? even the engineer's physicist Claes Johnson says that his theory of 'harmonic reflection' is the equivalent of absorbing the radiation because the same amount is not radiated from the surface. who knows? maybe he is on to something but the reality is that there is no change in the result, only in the description of how it happens. I am willing to stick with the original Occam's certified, observation founded, planck curve derived, system for describing radiation transfer between two bodies.

funny as hell! "I must admit, I seem to be less critical of appealing to authority...when I'm the authority."-- Roy. what a great line. wacko physics is sometimes right, and personally I am rooting for the mad hungarian Miskolczi to be right because his theory has a certain beauty that you associate with things that are too elegant to be wrong. the engineer needs a physicist with stature to champion his cause, unfortunately Lindzen thinks he is wrong and Dyson hasnt found this big mistake even though he has thought a lot about global warming.

interesting- you put up a picture of a heat sink with fins. those work by conduction and convection. typically the radiation portion of the heat loss is a very small fraction of the overall result, so in a way it is also funny, because it is plainly not a good example of the conditions being discussed. but I would like to know what portion of conduction is actually radiation rather than physical interaction. that would be interesting to know.

I agree with you that Old Rock's ad hom attack against Singer (he does the same against Lindzen too) is ridiculous. if anything it should show people that real scientists refuse to go along with bad science even if it the politically correct thing to do. worse yet, there are a lot of non-thinking people in the world that cannot form their own conclusions from data therefore they simply choose someone to believe, usually based on how the media either swoons or swears at them.

anyways, thanks for the interesting post polarbear.

interesting point. conservation of energy. if the downward component of CO2 radiation doesnt get absorbed by the surface, where does it go?

What makes you think there is a downward component? You can only measure it with an instrument that has been cooled to a temperature far below that of the ambient temperature. There are no observations of backradiation hitting and being absorbed by the warmer surface of the earth. You are correct that it can't just disappear but I believe you are incorrect in your assumption that it happens at all. Energy won't spontaneously move from cool to warm. That suggests to me that energy radiating from cool won't radiate towards warm in the first place anymore than a marble will spontaneously roll up an incline.

Forum List

Back