I Just Hit A Deer....Now What?

Grau

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2015
"I Just Hit A Deer.... Now What?"

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I was on my way to get a root canal and hit a large, male deer (aka a "Buck") at about 50 MPH and will never forget that sickening "Thump" noise when metal hits flesh.

When I moved from a "spirited" inner-city neighborhood to a rural neighborhood, I quit carrying carrying a pistol just because it was such a bother.

Meanwhile, the poor, beautiful animal was flailing around in the middle of a 4 lane road and at the same time I was directing traffic around the him wondering when one of those normally ubiquitous LEOs might sho up as quickly as if I had an expired inspection sticker.

In no more than 4 minutes, a very good Samaritan saw my predicament, stopped, grabbed his pistol and put the deer out of its misery while stopped traffic.

Since my faithful, old RAV 4 was still drivable and I figured that I had a good excuse for putting off my root canal, I decided to go home and watch he birds with my lame, old dog.

So, it looks like my old HK45 is going to be getting out and around a little bit more.

What do other people do that don't carry firearms:
  • Leave the deer to suffer
  • Wait for someone with a firearm to show up?
  • Call the police or animal Control?
  • Take the deer to a vet. ?

If you were in my position, what would you have done differently?

Thanks,

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I was on my way to get a root canal and hit a large, male deer (aka a "Buck") at about 50 MPH and will never forget that sickening "Thump" noise when metal hits flesh.

When I moved from a "spirited" inner-city neighborhood to a rural neighborhood, I quit carrying carrying a pistol just because it was such a bother.

Meanwhile, the poor, beautiful animal was flailing around in the middle of a 4 lane road and at the same time I was directing traffic around the him wondering when one of those normally ubiquitous LEOs might sho up as quickly as if I had an expired inspection sticker.

In no more than 4 minutes, a very good Samaritan saw my predicament, stopped, grabbed his pistol and put the deer out of its misery while stopped traffic.

Since my faithful, old RAV 4 was still drivable and I figured that I had a good excuse for putting off my root canal, I decided to go home and watch he birds with my lame, old dog.

So, it looks like my old HK45 is going to be getting out and around a little bit more.

Thanks,
And here I thought the reason people carried guns in their car was in case they hit a democrat that was flailing around in the road.

Who knew?

And here I thought the reason people carried guns in their car was in case they hit a democrat that was flailing around in the road.

Who knew?
Why put a Democrat out of their misery? They live to inflict misery on others.

Most of the ones hit on the superslab near me, always are obliterated. Nothing but a smear on the highway.

Never have personally hit one, but have had more close calls than I can count.
Couple times, avoiding collisions while towing a trailer.

I was headed deer hunting one morning and came up on a car stopped in the road with the "flailing deer" in the headlights.....This woman was there crying and asked me if I could "do something".

I told her to stand back and then pulled my Walther PP .380 out, walked-over and dispatched it, then dragged it off to the shoulder of the road.....It was a five-point but it was gut-busted so I did not mess with it further.

Her SUV seemed drivable enough other than a broke headlight so I told her to just call her insurance company, no need for the cops. She thanked me a drove off.

I'd have missed the deer ... ha ha ... but seriously, what can you do except wait until it stops flailing ... then what, cut its throat with a pen knife ... I think you did the best anyone could do ... flag down a homicidal MAGA Republican Terrorist to murder the innocent thing ...

You're alive ... so maybe things aren't as bad ... maybe the swifts will fill your local abandoned chimney tonight ...

Thanks,
She did the right thing but technically a cop could have arrested her and charged her with a felony.

You can contact DNR and because you hit it with your car, you can harvest the meat. I found a poached Buck and the DNR said no. Because I could have shot it and claimed I just found it. But the local cops let me cut it's head off and I Euro mounted it. It's the deer my dog found. It's the biggest rack in the hunting lodge and has a cool story that goes with it. My dog is a better hunter than me. Has a bigger rack to prove it.

I'd have missed the deer ... ha ha ... but seriously, what can you do except wait until it stops flailing ... then what, cut its throat with a pen knife ... I think you did the best anyone could do ... flag down a homicidal MAGA Republican Terrorist to murder the innocent thing ...
You would have to have HUGE balls to walk up to a living buck who's hurt and try to cut it's neck. You'd get stabbed to death with the rack.

If I didn't have a weapon I would get my tire iron end it...then haul the fucker off and process it.

Are you a man?
You would not walk up to a flailing buck with a tire iron. Think about that. I've shot buck before and the scariest part is walking up to it's body with your loaded gun and you touch it with the gun to see if it moves. If it does you at least have a loaded gun ready to shoot it again. You don't want to ruin the meat or waste a bullet they're expensive.

I'm not even sure a wack with a tire iron will for sure do it. You might just make it go into attack mode.

Last time I hit a deer was up in the back roads of PA.

I had to break its neck to finish him off and put the little feller out of his misery.

I hauled him in the back of the truck and dropped him off at the people's place I was going. They ended up dressing it out.

it didn't really do much damage to my truck. It was pretty young.

You would have to have HUGE balls to walk up to a living buck who's hurt and try to cut it's neck. You'd get stabbed to death with the rack.

Read closer ... "when it stop flailing" ... if the deer is dead, and still, and not moving at all, for ... say ... 3 or 4 hours ... THEN maybe I'd rub my balls on it ... if no one was looking ... it's a felony here to sexually abuse an animal corpse ...

From the OP I think we can assume the animal is already brain dead ... these wild gyrations is just all the nerves firing at once without the normal central control ... the OP would have to wait to pull the corpse off the road anyway ... Imagine da po'r lil' woman who hit a mountain lion, on The I-5 in Eugene, across the fence line from the shopping mall ... 200 lbs kitty kat and he's mad at you ...

As to the previous advice of "harvesting the meat" ... although a widespread practice it's not universal ... check local DFW rules, some places this isn't allowed ... like within the Sacramento/Salem Axis of Evil ... the bastards ...

Should have called 911 to report the accident, and the police would have dispatched the animal.
Should have been carrying a gun so you could stop the animal from suffering while you wait for the cops to show up in 20 minutes or more.

Thanks,
Call police,

In our state more than $500 damages in accident, it is required.

Thanks,

It's against the law here to put the deer out of its misery, we have to call a cop or a game warden to do that.
I hit a deer twice with the last NIssan, the second time totaling out the car. The roadsides here are usually littered with dead deer every few hundred yards.

I'm not even sure a wack with a tire iron will for sure do it.

Flailing maybe so but.

Oh, it would do it.

A 2 foot tire iron?

It's a deer it ain't fuggin Voltron.

If it worked on a hog it would work on a buck.

Forum List

Back