I Just Hit A Deer....Now What?

I have tons of deer, turkey, bears, and cougars where I live and I manage to never hit any.
1697544671167.png

Read closer ... "when it stop flailing" ... if the deer is dead, and still, and not moving at all, for ... say ... 3 or 4 hours ... THEN maybe I'd rub my balls on it ... if no one was looking ... it's a felony here to sexually abuse an animal corpse ...

From the OP I think we can assume the animal is already brain dead ... these wild gyrations is just all the nerves firing at once without the normal central control ... the OP would have to wait to pull the corpse off the road anyway ... Imagine da po'r lil' woman who hit a mountain lion, on The I-5 in Eugene, across the fence line from the shopping mall ... 200 lbs kitty kat and he's mad at you ...

As to the previous advice of "harvesting the meat" ... although a widespread practice it's not universal ... check local DFW rules, some places this isn't allowed ... like within the Sacramento/Salem Axis of Evil ... the bastards ...
Your post made me think about that scene in Yellowstone where the Asian tourists were posing 50 feet away from a Grizzley bear. They just didn't understand it's not "friendly"

I remember I shot a deer with my crossbow and I came up on it still alive. I pull out my 22 derringer and pow, shoot it in the head. It pops up and looks at me like "hey why did you do that?" I felt so bad. It was like Jim Carrey in Me Myself and Irene. I emptied my 5 shot 22 derringer into it's head and it was still breathing. So what now to do I choke it out? Drop some elbows?

1697547450754.png

1697547480006.png

"I Just Hit A Deer.... Now What?"

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I was on my way to get a root canal and hit a large, male deer (aka a "Buck") at about 50 MPH and will never forget that sickening "Thump" noise when metal hits flesh.

When I moved from a "spirited" inner-city neighborhood to a rural neighborhood, I quit carrying carrying a pistol just because it was such a bother.

Meanwhile, the poor, beautiful animal was flailing around in the middle of a 4 lane road and at the same time I was directing traffic around the him wondering when one of those normally ubiquitous LEOs might sho up as quickly as if I had an expired inspection sticker.

In no more than 4 minutes, a very good Samaritan saw my predicament, stopped, grabbed his pistol and put the deer out of its misery while stopped traffic.

Since my faithful, old RAV 4 was still drivable and I figured that I had a good excuse for putting off my root canal, I decided to go home and watch he birds with my lame, old dog.

So, it looks like my old HK45 is going to be getting out and around a little bit more.

What do other people do that don't carry firearms:
  • Leave the deer to suffer
  • Wait for someone with a firearm to show up?
  • Call the police or animal Control?
  • Take the deer to a vet. ?

If you were in my position, what would you have done differently?

Thanks,
I would have gutted it. Tossed it in the bed of my truck. Took it home and quartered it.

Your post made me think about that scene in Yellowstone where the Asian tourists were posing 50 feet away from a Grizzley bear. They just didn't understand it's not "friendly"

I remember I shot a deer with my crossbow and I came up on it still alive. I pull out my 22 derringer and pow, shoot it in the head. It pops up and looks at me like "hey why did you do that?" I felt so bad. It was like Jim Carrey in Me Myself and Irene. I emptied my 5 shot 22 derringer into it's head and it was still breathing. So what now to do I choke it out? Drop some elbows?

View attachment 844230

View attachment 844231

[rolls eyes] ... we had a jumbo raccoon in a #2 foothold trap ... we finally gave up beating on the poor thing and wound up just dropping him into a 220 Conibear ... gave me nightmares for a few weeks after ...

I have tons of deer, turkey, bears, and cougars where I live and I manage to never hit any.
You just jinxed yourself. I drive up north MI all the time knowing it's only a matter of time. I just hope I do it right. Don't swerve just gun it and hit the mother fucker. Hope the thing doesn't jump into your windshield and kill you with it's rack or hooves.

One time I was driving in a snow storm. Something told me to put my brights on. Just as I did there was a herd of deer walking into the road. I missed them by ( ) much.

In Iowa, the snow drifts along side the roads get too high for the deer to jump ... often enough they get caught on the road and all they can do is run away from your rig ... it's 50/50 you'll hit them if you try to pass ... all you can do is chain a railroad tie to your bumper and mow them down ...

This was back when Iowa was super-duper over-populated with deer ... I don't know about today ...

[rolls eyes] ... we had a jumbo raccoon in a #2 foothold trap ... we finally gave up beating on the poor thing and wound up just dropping him into a 220 Conibear ... gave me nightmares for a few weeks after ...
Hell I feel bad when my dog kills a baby mole or mouse. They're squeaking and fighting for their lives but I just can't deprive him of the hunt/kill. It's primitive shit. He's a tracking dog so I got to encourage his nose abilities. He loves sniffing things out especially freshly shot deer.

Yep don't swerve to avoid it. I did that once going 65 in the middle of the night in Ain't Nothing Around Here, West Virginia, when I cam upon a deer SITTING in the middle of the damn road. Fortunately there were no other cars on the road because it took me a couple miles and every effing square inch of the highway and shoulder to get my truck back under control and stopped. It felt like I was up on 2 wheels more than once as I fought to recover control. If I had flipped, who knows how long it would taken somebody to find my corpse.

Yep don't swerve to avoid it. I did that once going 65 in the middle of the night in Ain't Nothing Around Here, West Virginia, when I cam upon a deer SITTING in the middle of the damn road. Fortunately there were no other cars on the road because it took me a couple miles and every effing square inch of the highway and shoulder to get my truck back under control and stopped. It felt like I was up on 2 wheels more than once as I fought to recover control. If I had flipped, who knows how long it would taken somebody to find my corpse.
I swirved once in the snow, went off into the medium, slid sideways, somehow slid back up on to the road, and just kept going. It was crazy I thought I was done for. You know the feeling. Whatever happens is now out of your control. Just be cool.

It happens. A few years ago, close to Crater Lake, a huge deer ran right into our Corvette blocking the entire windshield with his body while part of his body was on the top. GEESH!!!! Scared! We pulled over off the narrow winding road, the deer slid down into the lane we were in and its flailing legs stopped. Hubs got out of the car and waved down an oncoming stranger who pulled over and helped pull the deer off the road.

We went into the next establishment in the remote area and the barkeep phoned our incident to the proper authorities telling us how common it all was in that area. We were shaking and I was so sad but grateful to be alive. We left Oregon, back to CA, called the insurance adjuster, and the damages to the low-riding car were several thousand dollars. We were so grateful to have survived that incident in the dead of winter with snow all around us.

"I Just Hit A Deer.... Now What?"

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I was on my way to get a root canal and hit a large, male deer (aka a "Buck") at about 50 MPH and will never forget that sickening "Thump" noise when metal hits flesh.

When I moved from a "spirited" inner-city neighborhood to a rural neighborhood, I quit carrying carrying a pistol just because it was such a bother.

Meanwhile, the poor, beautiful animal was flailing around in the middle of a 4 lane road and at the same time I was directing traffic around the him wondering when one of those normally ubiquitous LEOs might sho up as quickly as if I had an expired inspection sticker.

In no more than 4 minutes, a very good Samaritan saw my predicament, stopped, grabbed his pistol and put the deer out of its misery while stopped traffic.

Since my faithful, old RAV 4 was still drivable and I figured that I had a good excuse for putting off my root canal, I decided to go home and watch he birds with my lame, old dog.

So, it looks like my old HK45 is going to be getting out and around a little bit more.

What do other people do that don't carry firearms:
  • Leave the deer to suffer
  • Wait for someone with a firearm to show up?
  • Call the police or animal Control?
  • Take the deer to a vet. ?

If you were in my position, what would you have done differently?

Thanks,
Strapped it to the roof of the Rav4 , hauled it home and skinned and butchered it.

It happens. A few years ago, close to Crater Lake, a huge deer ran right into our Corvette blocking the entire windshield with his body while part of his body was on the top. GEESH!!!! Scared! We pulled over off the narrow winding road, the deer slid down into the lane we were in and its flailing legs stopped. Hubs got out of the car and waved down an oncoming stranger who pulled over and helped pull the deer off the road.

We went into the next establishment in the remote area and the barkeep phoned our incident to the proper authorities telling us how common it all was in that area. We were shaking and I was so sad but grateful to be alive. We left Oregon, back to CA, called the insurance adjuster, and the damages to the low-riding car were several thousand dollars. We were so grateful to have survived that incident in the dead of winter with snow all around us.
People who are against deer hunting usually stop being against it after they hit a deer.

My ex's parents find road kill all the time. They take it home, cut it up, freeze it, and feed it to their dogs.

It happens. A few years ago, close to Crater Lake, a huge deer ran right into our Corvette blocking the entire windshield with his body while part of his body was on the top.

Aw man. That sucks. What kind of vette was it?

People who are against deer hunting usually stop being against it after they hit a deer.

My ex's parents find road kill all the time. They take it home, cut it up, freeze it, and feed it to their dogs.

I don't hunt ( except with my poor car) but support those who do and have let hunters hunt on my land.

Over the last 20+ year we've lived here, I've watch as suburban sprawl consumes more and more woodland with ugly, cookie-cutter McMansions.

When I started to develop U.S.S. (Urban Stress Syndrome) from living in a lively and spirited inner city neighborhood, we bought my wife's grandparent's big, rambling, old farm house in a rural area.

So, I've got my blacksmith shop and target range but little time to use either as much as I'd like to.

Your ex's parents sound like very frugal people and hope that, for the sake of their dogs, that they're picky about their road kill and I don't think that rabies can be transmitted by cooking and eating so, to each his own.

Thanks for writing,

Strapped it to the roof of the Rav4 , hauled it home and skinned and butchered it.

...... and ate it raw, right?

I've got a human skull on one of my bookshelves, so why not a deer skull?

Thanks,

I don't hunt ( except with my poor car) but support those who do and have let hunters hunt on my land.

Over the last 20+ year we've lived here, I've watch as suburban sprawl consumes more and more woodland with ugly, cookie-cutter McMansions.

When I started to develop U.S.S. (Urban Stress Syndrome) from living in a lively and spirited inner city neighborhood, we bought my wife's grandparent's big, rambling, old farm house in a rural area.

So, I've got my blacksmith shop and target range but little time to use either as much as I'd like to.

Your ex's parents sound like very frugal people and hope that, for the sake of their dogs, that they're picky about their road kill and I don't think that rabies can be transmitted by cooking and eating so, to each his own.

Thanks for writing,
My brother bought 60 acres up north MI. We use it to get away. Boy do we love it up there. We're going to go hunt Nov 1. He won't let me hunt before him. Last year he says I chased all the deer away in October. LOL. He's probably right. Me and my dog. He puts a lot of time and money into hunting for me to screw it up. I don't blame him.

I think you have to have 5 acres to buy where he lives. You can't buy a lot. There are no subdivisions where he lives. It's meant for people who want to buy hunting properties. 50 acres, 100 acres, 500 acres. I've seen some amazing properties.

Your home sounds amazing. Blacksmith shop? That sounds cool. You should make art out of trash and sell it. We went to a hunting expo and some guy had a big witches kettle that you can have a fire in. It's a fire pit but looks like witches colderon. Some guy like you made it. It dangles off this tripod holder. The tripod touches the ground the big metal fire pit dangles. It makes the perfect fires.

Looks like this only what's holding it up is different. It is round steel frame that holds it up not a tripod like this.

1697566475600.png

Your incident sounds much worse than mine was and I'm glad you made it OK.

My good Samaritan showed up and stopped in about 2 minutes, shot the flailing deer and dragged it to the side of the road while I stopped traffic.

His willingness to stop and help so quickly simply reinforced my opinion that most people are good.

Thanks for writing,

My brother bought 60 acres up north MI. We use it to get away. Boy do we love it up there. We're going to go hunt Nov 1. He won't let me hunt before him. Last year he says I chased all the deer away in October. LOL. He's probably right. Me and my dog. He puts a lot of time and money into hunting for me to screw it up. I don't blame him.

I think you have to have 5 acres to buy where he lives. You can't buy a lot. There are no subdivisions where he lives. It's meant for people who want to buy hunting properties. 50 acres, 100 acres, 500 acres. I've seen some amazing properties.

Your home sounds amazing. Blacksmith shop? That sounds cool. You should make art out of trash and sell it. We went to a hunting expo and some guy had a big witches kettle that you can have a fire in. It's a fire pit but looks like witches colderon. Some guy like you made it. It dangles off this tripod holder. The tripod touches the ground the big metal fire pit dangles. It makes the perfect fires.

Looks like this only what's holding it up is different. It is round steel frame that holds it up not a tripod like this.

View attachment 844328

I'm glad you and your brother have a good relationship, it makes life more enjoyable.

My grandfather used to own about 1,000 acres on the James river just downstream from where I live now and there was nothing but woods for miles around. My friends and I didn't hunt but did lots of target shooting, homemade "firecracker" testing poker playing, fishing, swimming and would sometimes camp out for weeks.
Now, I drive past the same land and there's a McMansion on every 1/4 acre lot but I'm grateful for the little patch I've got.

I've got a blacksmith shop because that's what I did for about 30 years. Unfortunately, I can no longer blacksmith full time due to multiple medical issues from a life lived fully if not always wisely.
You wouldn't believe some of the weird things I was asked to make plus normal things, sculpture, ornamental wrought iron gates, fireplace tools, andirons, African animals, grape vines for wine rack, a full size jazz band, furniture, cannons, antique reproductions and on and on.

If you're looking for quick n' easy money, don't look at blacksmithing.

Thanks for writing,

Forum List

Back