I don’t think there is time to fill Ginsberg seat on the Court.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate.
I'm sure Pres.Trump already has a candidate picked, vetted, and ready to be presented to the Senate. ... :cool:

I imagine he has security lined up for her as well....... the joe biden voters who have burned, looted, beaten and murdered in American cities, and assassinated police officers will not stop at killing a Supreme Court nominee...

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate.
I'm sure Pres.Trump already has a candidate picked, vetted, and ready to be presented to the Senate. ... :cool:
He has a list of candidates

Vetting takes some time. He needs to pick a candidate and that person needs detailed interviews and investigation

He has a list of candidates

Vetting takes some time. He needs to pick a candidate and that person needs detailed interviews and investigation

Already done.....he learned from the attacks on Kavanaugh........

With 45 days before the election, can Mitch ram through a confirmation?

Trump will need to vet a pick, Judiciary Committee must hold hearings and vote then the full Senate must convene.

All while a third of Senators are in the final days before the election.

Plenty of time between now and Jan 3. Election Day is not "The Day". Current Senate session lasts until Jan 3. That is "The Day".

There has never been a vacancy to the court for which the sitting president did not appoint a replacement. This will be no different. The short list already exists. We will see an appointment within 2 weeks if not less. There will be a vote. The appointee will be seated.

Everyone already knows the appointment is going to be Amy Barrett. President Trump has already openly talked about "holding Ginsburg's seat for her" to be appointed to.

I don't know much about her personal background but she is a die hard Catholic from Indiana. Graduated from Notre Dame IIRC. Usual strict views on interpreting the Constitution.

What will happen if McConnell rams through a nomination after his shenanigans in 2016?

If Trump wins.....business as usual

If Trump loses and Dems take the Senate, there will be hell to pay.

Packing the court in retaliation is a given
So is ending all filibusters in the Senate

There has never been a vacancy to the court for which the sitting president did not appoint a replacement

Obama does not count?

Obama did appoint someone, or nominated i guess is the proper term. Merrick Garland.

Trump can nominate all he wants
It is the confirmation that will be contentious

Yep. Pubs control the Senate, however. It will be contentious for sure, but there will be a vote and the nominee will be seated. Little doubt about it, really.

There has never been a vacancy to the court for which the sitting president did not appoint a replacement

Obama does not count?

Obama did appoint someone, or nominated i guess is the proper term. Merrick Garland.

Yep. Pubs control the Senate, however. It will be contentious for sure, but there will be a vote and the nominee will be seated. Little doubt about it, really.

Not so easy

I see Murkowski,Collins and Romney blocking a vote

That makes it 50-50

Obama does not count?

Not so easy

I see Murkowski,Collins and Romney blocking a vote

That makes it 50-50

We'll see.

IMO, they'll posture, horsetrade, then come up up with a justification, preen for the cameras and vote. Even if they cant convince one of the 3 to do so, which is unlikely, IMO, there is a tiebreaker vote. That's the VP, Pence.

Bread and circuses about to commence. The outcome is I'd say 90% certain.

I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.
I agree, but Trump is prepared for this. Problem is, so is the left. Civil war is coming

this has already been taken care of, trumps has a list of appointees that have already been vetted [as were Kavanaugh and Gorsuch [sp]...mcconnel has been pushing through judges at break-neck speed, expect him to turbo charge the hyper drive on this appointment

I don't think McTurtle is gonna have the votes, let alone the time. But there is talk he might attempt a ram job during the lame duck session to protect the assholes in close contests like Lil Lindsey, who's race is a dead heat at present.

Imagine the ads Jamie Harrison could run using THIS. :cool:

I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.

Here.......how fast can you confirm a Supreme Court Justice...this fast...

According to Senate records, Justices Ginsburg, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O’Connor were all confirmed in a short period of time. Stevens’s confirmation in 1975 took 19 days, O’Connor’s confirmation in 1981 took 33 days, and Ginsburg’s confirmation in 1993 took 42 days.

Yeah and Ginsburg was approved 96-3. Those days are over!

Forum List

Back