I don’t think there is time to fill Ginsberg seat on the Court.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.

McConnell will try with tramp at his side, anything to get re-elected. They have a list remember.

Last edited:
With all the money pouring in from Iran and China to elect democrats, there's no way the vote can wait until after the election.

The democrat American Taliban has already shown us they have no further interest in America. There's no reason to accommodate them.

We will see.........any other republican and they would back down and wait till after the election...like morons......but Trump isn't any other Republican and as Ted Cruz pointed out...when the democrats try to steal the election in November with mail in ballots....having a 4-4 supreme court, or a 4-3 court with Roberts siding with the democrat party activists on the Supreme Court, we will be in a Constitutional crisis....

McConnel will try with tramp at his side, anything to get re-elected. They have a list remember.
I’m not sure it helps trump

if the public is watching the supreme court while biden slobbers on his rubber chicken at campaign dinners then its helps hide his diminished mental state from the voters

advantage Sleepy Joe

Look at the facts, the dems are working FOR the CCP to destroy President Trump. The CCP has already given the Xi/Harris campaign $200,000,000. You think they will EVER play nice, be reasonable or compromise?

Republicans are gonna fuck this up. They won't send anyone through when they have the power to. If they don't do this now and Trump loses the senate and the WH, it's over.

I'm pretty certain they will wait until after it is too late.

Republicans are gonna fuck this up. They won't send anyone through when they have the power to. If they don't do this now and Trump loses the senate and the WH, it's over.

Yep....that is the fear....the republicans have always been called the Stupid Party.......but Trump and McConnnell are not the same republicans ...so we will see.......

This won't get filled until after the election.
Not sure that is the smart play politically.

Smart and politics no longer belong in the same sentence.

My statement was just a statement of what I believe will happen.

If there is not a butt in her seat on election day, the Democratic party will emphasize that if the senate is taken over by Democrats, there will be a chance of either sabotaging Trump's pick OR confirming Harris's err I mean Biden's. There will be that argument made anyway until the seat is filled but it only counts until 11/3.

On the other hand....

I doubt red state voters are astute enough to consider such things but if you nominate a real clunker...it may hurt the R's politically. Nobody will be regarded as a "real clunker" by the right wing media of course but if they have embarrassing public appearances or the Kav moment where he lost his marbles....you're screwed there too.

McConnel will try with tramp at his side, anything to get re-elected. They have a list remember.
I’m not sure it helps trump

if the public is watching the supreme court while biden slobbers on his rubber chicken at campaign dinners then its helps hide his diminished mental state from the voters

advantage Sleepy Joe

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said unequivocally Friday night that President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee to fill the vacancy of late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg “will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate.”

Ginsburg, 87, died Friday from complications surrounding metastatic pancreas cancer.

I can't wait, women will be up in arms, and the ACA will also be up in arms,
I can't wait!!

I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.
:iyfyus.jpg:

Here.......how fast can you confirm a Supreme Court Justice...this fast...

According to Senate records, Justices Ginsburg, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O’Connor were all confirmed in a short period of time. Stevens’s confirmation in 1975 took 19 days, O’Connor’s confirmation in 1981 took 33 days, and Ginsburg’s confirmation in 1993 took 42 days.

Yep....that is the fear....the republicans have always been called the Stupid Party.......but Trump and McConnnell are not the same republicans ...so we will see.......

And they have worked hard to maintain that well earned description..

Forum List

Back