I don’t think there is time to fill Ginsberg seat on the Court.

The American Taliban is funded by the ChiCom, and already actively revolting. You want to go into 2021 with a 4-4 SCOTUS and war in the streets of our cities? Really?

It won't be 4-4 and the democrats know it, it will be 4-3 for the democrats....Roberts will bend to the democrats because he doesn't want them to be mean to him.......and he fears they are going to pack the court....they will no matter what he does, but he is a coward and will fold like a cheap suit.
4-3 ? Which Justice do you think will sit this one out?

2aguy ----- working hard to maintain his stupid title!!!!

You forgot...there is not fillibuster on judicial nominees.......the democrats ended that......remember they confirmed Kavanaugh...
You are correct

but I have little faith is some of the republican senators to to me its still a long shot

it would have been better for America if gingsberg had died last year instead of now

Who will come forward and claim Trumps nominee raped them 40 years ago?

We will see.........any other republican and they would back down and wait till after the election...like morons......but Trump isn't any other Republican and as Ted Cruz pointed out...when the democrats try to steal the election in November with mail in ballots....having a 4-4 supreme court, or a 4-3 court with Roberts siding with the democrat party activists on the Supreme Court, we will be in a Constitutional crisis....

We would not be in a Constitutional Crisis. There is a mechanism for that.

The lower court decision stands. Or the decision of the appeals court.

There's time assuming the entire republican party is willing to engage in a raw exercise of power. At this moment McConnell is wondering if there is anyone who might develop a conscience. In any case an attempt will be made even if it is ultimately futile.

But no matter what......Republicans have to go out and vote at the polls in November..... if the republican members of the democrat party, romney and murkowski, and the cowards of the republican party, graham and collins....keep the vote from happening....we will still need to vote them back into the Senate, because Trump needs the numbers after the election..........
Trying to make the republican party operate as nothing but Trump's obedient support system is why they are going to suffer two catastrophic elections in a row.

I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.

Here.......how fast can you confirm a Supreme Court Justice...this fast...

According to Senate records, Justices Ginsburg, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O’Connor were all confirmed in a short period of time. Stevens’s confirmation in 1975 took 19 days, O’Connor’s confirmation in 1981 took 33 days, and Ginsburg’s confirmation in 1993 took 42 days.

That is confirmed. The total process takes longer.

You forgot...there is not fillibuster on judicial nominees.......the democrats ended that......remember they confirmed Kavanaugh...
You are correct

but I have little faith is some of the republican senators to to me its still a long shot

it would have been better for America if gingsberg had died last year instead of now
She was selfish. She could have left under Obama. She was sickly and decrepit back then. Everyone knew it. You could see it. If you believe people are celebrating on the other side, because for many of them she was a murderer and helped to make our nation less competative. You trust the system, I do not. There are much worse people that can be politicians. And they will use the rules and laws set up to abuse the people. Some have already.

It is going to be a dogfight.

Getting the nomination confirmed before the election is highly unlikely. Kavanaugh showed that vetting is essential. Nominating a flawed candidate will only extend the process.

That pushes a vote into a Lame Duck Session

If Trump wins and Republicans hold the Senate, it becomes moot. The nomination proceeds.

If either loses, it becomes a political nightmare with an outgoing party stacking the court.

Either way, the election in November is a whole new ballgame with RBGs ghost hovering over the election

I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.

According to Senate records, Justices Ginsburg, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O’Connor were all confirmed in a short period of time. Stevens’s confirmation in 1975 took 19 days, O’Connor’s confirmation in 1981 took 33 days, and Ginsburg’s confirmation in 1993 took 42 days.

What I never quite understood was this...

If you're a federal judge, you've already undergone a background check haven't you? Why would you have to do it again? I understand if you're appointed in 2005 and here it is 2020 and they want to look at the last 15 years but do they really need to go all the way back to your first day on the planet...again?

What I never quite understood was this...

If you're a federal judge, you've already undergone a background check haven't you? Why would you have to do it again? I understand if you're appointed in 2005 and here it is 2020 and they want to look at the last 15 years but do they really need to go all the way back to your first day on the planet...again?

It is part of the game..........and it also gives the politicians what they want the most....the chance to be front and center as they ask their questions and make their speeches.

You are correct

She was selfish. She could have left under Obama. She was sickly and decrepit back then. Everyone knew it. You could see it. If you believe people are celebrating on the other side, because for many of them she was a murderer and helped to make our nation less competative. You trust the system, I do not. There are much worse people that can be politicians. And they will use the rules and laws set up to abuse the people. Some have already.

Yes...secretly they likely hate ginsburg for not leaving so obama could replace her......but they will put on the show and then exploit her to attack the Republicans.

Kavanaugh showed that vetting is essential.
If by “vetting“ you mean beating the bushes for liars then democrats better get busy

If anyone would have been ambushed it would have been Gorsich. Hé was filling a stolen seat.

Yet, he went through relatively easy.
It was Kavanaugh who had ghosts in his closet

You are correct

Yes...secretly they likely hate ginsburg for not leaving so obama could replace her......but they will put on the show and then exploit her to attack the Republicans.
Progs motto of "never letting a crisis go to waste" is why they have become this powerful. The Supreme Court justice voted in from Progs will be a Prog. Not a Democrat. Repubs seem to have their appointees all over the map.

If by “vetting“ you mean beating the bushes for liars then democrats better get busy

If anyone would have been ambushed it would have been Gorsich. Hé was filling a stolen seat.

Yet, he went through relatively easy.
It was Kavanaugh who had ghosts in his closet

Kavanaugh didn't have any ghosts in his closet....they lied and committed slander and libel against him...protected by their positions in the Senate and by the press.....

There is no hurry....they have been lining up the accusers from the day Trump took office.........they are all set to go.

Trump needs to be careful

If he rushes a candidate with objectionable statements or rulings in their past, there will be political repercussions for those who try to rush through the pick

There is no hurry....they have been lining up the accusers from the day Trump took office.........they are all set to go.

Trump needs to be careful

If he rushes a candidate with objectionable statements or rulings in their past, there will be political repercussions for those who try to rush through the pick

It is a dicey game for both parties........this close to an actual election, the democrats, if they go as full crazy as they did with Kavanaugh will drive Trump voters to the polls and will turn off moderate Americans........just before an election. The Kavanaugh hearings dissipated the emotions because 1) he was actually confirmed, and 2) it was just a little too far from the elections in 2018 to help the republicans with the anger at what happened to Kavanaugh.....

This one is right on top of the election so if the democrats go full crazy....they risk even more harm than from the joe biden riots.

Forum List

Back