Hurricane Ian is a Waffle House code red

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

This is how dire things are in Florida right now.

For the uninitiated, Waffle House is a popular food franchise with locations in 25 states, mostly in the South. The restaurant serves waffles, obviously, as well as hashbrowns and other diner fare cooked to order in an open kitchen in view of the customers. It's best known for being an all-night eatery, open 24 hours, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

So when Waffle House is closed, it's a big deal. Such a big deal that former Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Craig Fugate coined the term "Waffle House Index" to evaluate the effect of a storm and the need for disaster preparedness.

The index has three levels based on the extent of operations and services offered by Waffle House during inclement weather. GREEN means the restaurant has power and is offering a full menu. YELLOW means there is a limited menu and no power or only power from a generator, with food supplies running low. RED means the restaurant is closed, which indicates severe storm damage or dangerous flooding.

Our local Waffle House is still open, but I suspect that could easily change.

My understanding is that the one down in Ormond Beach is closed...

Who's going out for waffles in a Cat 4 hurricane?
The same people who decided to ride out the storm

Oh, and who are also hungry.

They will probably wait till around midnight when things settle down.

Real Men of genius
Today we salute you
Mr Waffle house hurricane diner

They really do have some pretty amazing waffles. Their pancakes don't suck, either.

Not a single healthy thing on their menu, though. When I eat there I always feel like I should go to confession.

CcEh0nqWoAALTAd

I haven't eaten there in a while. I turned 60 in July which means I can order off the senior menu now!

They really do have some pretty amazing waffles. Their pancakes don't suck, either.

Not a single healthy thing on their menu, though. When I eat there I always feel like I should go to confession.

CcEh0nqWoAALTAd

I haven't eaten there in a while. I turned 60 in July which means I can order off the senior menu now!

Pancakes? I've never seen a Waffle House with pancakes.

No, it is not the healthiest food. But it isn't as bad as some fast food places.

Waffle house is a delight to the drunk, stoned, or road weary. Long may Waffle House reign!

Government workers who are required to as I was for 20 years. Waffle house coffee and waffles was appreciated when I was out in hurricanes working.

Yeah, contractors do too. When I was working storm damage, the WH coffee kept me going, and the food kept me fueled.

Seriously??

No, it is not the healthiest food. But it isn't as bad as some fast food places.

Quite true...

Waffle house is a delight to the drunk, stoned, or road weary. Long may Waffle House reign!

I used to do tour photography for a few different bands, and there was more than once that the buses pulled into a Waffle House parking lot at three in the morning...

Seriously??

Quite true...

I used to do tour photography for a few different bands, and there was more than once that the buses pulled into a Waffle House parking lot at three in the morning...

Years ago I worked as the GM for a hotel in south Atlanta. I could see 3 Waffle House signs from my parking lot. (Atlanta is Waffle House Central)

Every weekend between midnight and 5am, they were all full.

Watching a good short-order cook is thing to behold.

IHOP is pancakes.

CcEh0nqWoAALTAd

If they don't have a western omelet, they shouldn't have omelets at all.

Forum List

Back