How would you advance our manned space program?

The rest of the first world competes this way and if we wish to remain a first world nation we need to do the same. This is all I'll say.

Do we give up just to go back the 18th century? This is a very depressing thread and tells me why we gave up.

Last edited:
How would you advance our space program? Firstly I believe that Obama is partly right with handing most of the construction and R@D over to private corporations. They really can do that part cheaper and more effiencly then the government. Next I'd strengthen nasa into our scientific arm of 99.9999->to infinity of everything. :eusa_hand: They would work with governments to construct science space stations, outpost, etc. The private corporations will be working to build the private side of things of course.

I'd build a planetary ship within our planets orbit as that's the best way forward as far as I'm concern. Who the fuck wants to go to the moon, asteroids or onto mars within a tiny tube? Not me. :eek: This one would be powered by a nuclear reactor that drives a ion engine. This way it would be reusable. So we could go back and forth from where we wanted to go many times throughout the time spend of a few decades. We'd go to the sea faring ship model of doing things.
-Big enough to hold 5-8 people
-Enough food to last a year
-Nuclear reactor could last 10-20 years
-small area to grow food

We could make it capable for the mars mission with attaching a solar sail...:cool: (60k+!)

Sure the 110 ton rocket is still good. Still good to bring up the pieces to build what I described above. :eusa_hand:

I feel we must build a few of these and work with the private sector; asteroid mining, and other governments. Maybe asteroid mining corporations that are thinking of going ahead in doing so should build these? But make them capable of carrying material back.

This is of course would be the start of my man space program. Later I'd add a base on the moon, mars and asteroids. I'm sick of these one time use and throw away tin cans that aren't going to advance us in space no matter how hard we try.

I would actually have a man space program. Do we do anything at all other than work on satellites and look at space through the Hubble?

You miss that whole space station thing did ya?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo]Space Oddity - YouTube[/ame]

The rest of the first world competes this way and if we wish to remain a first world nation we need to do the same. This is all I'll say.

Do we give up just to go back the 18th century? This is a very depressing thread and tells me why we gave up.

Hook up with a corporation and go for it. Cheer up space cowboy. If you wanna fly you can fly. Bring us back rocks and stuff.

Hook up with a corporation and go for it. Cheer up space cowboy. If you wanna fly you can fly. Bring us back rocks and stuff.

You're not going to compete with the rest of the first world without some government. Sorry. This is the way the world works.

Hey, I love what the private corps like space x, dream chaser, etc are doing. They're doing better then the government ever did.

I'm a supporter!

Why? For expensive thrills ? If the moon was made of diamonds it wouldn't help anyone one damn bit.

dilloduck
There's a lot more resources then just diamonds. Seriously, I understand that you're a isolationists and don't think it's important for our nation to compete. I don't like Obama very much for a number of reasons, but I honestly believe he's better then anything you would want within the white house.

democrats are soooooooooooooooo dumb... look how advanced we are we can build a ROCKET SHIP

democrats are soooooooooooooooo dumb... look how advanced we are we can build a ROCKET SHIP

One that cost 1/2 to 1/4th of what nasa used to do and can be reused. Space X is doing just this. Many others are planning private trips to space for money from private citizens. Imagine that.:eek: Funny how you people bash private corporation.

One day we may even need military in space as china may do just that. Assets to defend.

Last edited:
who bashed private corporations and what the hell does that have to do with NASA funding?

who bashed private corporations and what the hell does that have to do with NASA funding?

So you don't think we should study our solar system and universe? :confused: Every first world nation has a science program like nasa.

Talk about being anti-science. Jezzzz. I could ask the question about fighting ten year wars that force the tax payers to pay trillions of dollars to rebuild other nations.

So you don't think we should study our solar system and universe? :confused: Every first world nation has a science program like nasa.

Talk about being anti-science. Jezzzz. I could ask the question about fighting ten year wars that force the tax payers to pay trillions of dollars to rebuild other nations.

What the hell makes you think we need THE GOVERNMENT TO STEAL OUR INCOME AND FORCE US TO STUDY ASTRONOMY? Science does not need government funds... to the contrary government funds STEAL FROM SCIENCE AND IS MORE OF A NEGATIVE THAN A POSITIVE.

Nothing was stopping any of them from building rockets.

Yeah? You think the federal government would let somebody fire off a rocket into space?

Would?

They did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34stQyNG85g]Private company SpaceX successfully launches its Falcon 9 rocket into space to resupp - YouTube[/ame]

I'm sorry you misunderstood, I wasn't referring to "private" companies living off the government's teet and getting government permission. I'm referring to fully private entities firing off rockets whenever they want with no authorization from the government whatsoever.

Yeah? You think the federal government would let somebody fire off a rocket into space?

Would?

They did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34stQyNG85g]Private company SpaceX successfully launches its Falcon 9 rocket into space to resupp - YouTube[/ame]

I'm sorry you misunderstood, I wasn't referring to "private" companies living off the government's teet and getting government permission. I'm referring to fully private entities firing off rockets whenever they want with no authorization from the government whatsoever.

So we can defund all these worthless wars? Go back to the 19th century. Not going to happen at least I hope.

So we can defund all these worthless wars? Go back to the 19th century. Not going to happen at least I hope.

What?

Forum List

Back