How would you advance our manned space program?

Imagine where mankind would be if the American people had spent 1/10th what we've spend killing people in foreign lands on NASA.

Just think how many difference flavors of TANG we'd have by now.

1. We wouldn't have to worry about being wiped out from more then a dozen extinction level events. A major benefit of spreading out into the solar system.
2. Our technology would be far more advanced...Humanity is at its best when we're trying to survive within a hostile environment.
3. With the best technology we remain the most powerful nation on earth.
4. Same with unlimited resources of our solar system. China controls a lot of the rare mental on earth already...Well, who ever controls space is going to control thousands of times this. Think this won't make the nation that rules space the power?

I'm slightly scared of the "conservative" that is of the belief that we should go back to 1850. We not only shouldn't but it would be a crime against humanity. We live within a much more advance world that relies on technology. Like never before we rely on tech, science and a educated population.

You want to be like North Korea? With China threatening to kick our ass in 50 years time??? Well, just try to go back to the 1850's. I used to think that the extreme left was the only ones that wanted this...The right does too. :eek:

I agree we should do it with a private focus. I agree with the right when it comes to economics and it just makes sense...But we're falling against East Asia and Europe. Do you care for us to be a first rate nation?

Imagine where mankind would be if the American people had spent 1/10th what we've spend killing people in foreign lands on NASA.

1. We wouldn't have to worry about being wiped out from more then a dozen extinction level events. A major benefit of spreading out into the solar system.
2. Our technology would be far more advanced...Humanity is at its best when we're trying to survive within a hostile environment.
4. Same with unlimited resources of our solar system. China controls a lot of the rare mental on earth already...Well, who ever controls space is going to control thousands of times this. Think this won't make the nation that rules space the power?

I'm slightly scared of the "conservative" that is of the belief that we should go back to 1850. We not only shouldn't but it would be a crime against humanity. We live within a much more advance world that relies on technology. Like never before we rely on tech, science and a educated population.

You want to be like North Korea? With China threatening to kick our ass in 50 years time??? Well, just try to go back to the 1850's. I used to think that the extreme left was the only ones that wanted this...The right does too. :eek:

I agree we should do it with a private focus. I agree with the right when it comes to economics and it just makes sense...But we're falling against East Asia and Europe. Do you care for us to be a first rate nation?

Who cares if China or anybody else does something? It's bad economics for them just like it's bad economics for the U.S.

First of all what do we gain by a "manned space program" today? You tell me.

Technology........The Manned Space Program has always been a catalyst for Technology.
That has always been the main benefit from our manned space program.

NASA - Space Program Benefits: NASA?s Positive Impact on Society

Any time a civilization doesn't have to rely on war to advance=good. We keep falling behind we're going to be ruled by the Chinese one day.(if you believe we live within a world that nations still attack each other and take over). :eek:

Other than DOD money, I see no reason for the government to tax my income and spend it on space boon-dongles. We spend the money and Obama sells the research to China and Russia. All government money does is screw things up. Government competition with private enterprise is wasteful, communistic, and really not appropriate for a republic.

Other than DOD money, I see no reason for the government to tax my income and spend it on space boon-dongles. We spend the money and Obama sells the research to China and Russia. All government money does is screw things up. Government competition with private enterprise is wasteful, communistic, and really not appropriate for a republic.

lol,

So you believe America should be like Cuba with no advancements in tech??? Why not defund the military as it is going to be getting a little out dated with this mind set.

You people are nuts. 1850 is right. :eek::eek::eek:

How would you advance our manned space program?

What manned space program?

I'm not saying that Obama is doing a awesome job, but at least he's funding private corporations that are advancing the technology. You republicans hate advancement in tech.

By 2016-2017 these private corporations will have a cheaper means of getting into space for us. Space x by the 2020's will be capable of going to the moon and further.

Who cares if China or anybody else does something? It's bad economics for them just like it's bad economics for the U.S.

Civilizations have been pouring resources into science and exploration for 8,000 years. Bad for someone that believes in turning this country into North Korea. yes.

Jesus Christ, Crist is right on the republicans being ANTI-SCIENCE!!!!

How did come to the conclusion that space is the only place science can happen ? We didn't go to space to get Tang. How much of Earths current resources do you plan on using up in pursuit of that dream of yours ?

How did come to the conclusion that space is the only place science can happen ? We didn't go to space to get Tang. How much of Earths current resources do you plan on using up in pursuit of that dream of yours ?

Why should we rely on earth resources? Half of this country doesn't want us tarring up the land to get to it. Think about that.

Space as I noted above is very important as dozens of extinction level events will become non-extinction level events. Throughout human history nations expanded outwards in look for resources...Well, we should do that again to once again enrich our self's.

Why are you against advancement?

lol,

So you believe America should be like Cuba with no advancements in tech??? Why not defund the military as it is going to be getting a little out dated with this mind set.

You people are nuts. 1850 is right. :eek::eek::eek:

This straw man was already addressed and knocked down. Repeating it doesn't add to your argument.

Civilizations have been pouring resources into science and exploration for 8,000 years. Bad for someone that believes in turning this country into North Korea. yes.

I want private enterprise, you want government control. Which one of us is arguing for the North Korean model?

I want private enterprise, you want government control. Which one of us is arguing for the North Korean model?

Isn't space x advancing space like we haven't since the 1970's? Why shouldn't we pour a little money into a cooperation that does good work. Why spend 800 billion a year on defense without putting it into area's of defense that we really need it? Isn't asteroids a threat to our nation??? and gps and satellites part of our defense infrastructure.
:confused:

Why not move a little of that to maintain those area's to keep a first rate defense.

WTH does the government have to do with SCIENCE? STEALING MY INCOME IS NOT SCIENCE.

Same as defense. We're not going to be a first world super power without it. This is what I mean about going back to 1790 or 1850. We're not going back to those times without becoming a very backwards country.

Isn't space x advancing space like we haven't since the 1970's? Why shouldn't we pour a little money into a cooperation that does good work. Why spend 800 billion a year on defense without putting it into area's of defense that we really need it? Isn't asteroids a threat to our nation??? and gps and satellites part of our defense infrastructure.
:confused:

Why not move a little of that to maintain those area's to keep a first rate defense.

Why not let the market decide where resources should be allocated, since it is the only mechanism by which to do so rationally?

Why should we rely on earth resources? Half of this country doesn't want us tarring up the land to get to it. Think about that.

Space as I noted above is very important as dozens of extinction level events will become non-extinction level events. Throughout human history nations expanded outwards in look for resources...Well, we should do that again to once again enrich our self's.

Why are you against advancement?

What non- earth resources do you plan on using to get to space ?

How would you advance our space program? Firstly I believe that Obama is partly right with handing most of the construction and R@D over to private corporations. They really can do that part cheaper and more effiencly then the government. Next I'd strengthen nasa into our scientific arm of 99.9999->to infinity of everything. :eusa_hand: They would work with governments to construct science space stations, outpost, etc. The private corporations will be working to build the private side of things of course.

I'd build a planetary ship within our planets orbit as that's the best way forward as far as I'm concern. Who the fuck wants to go to the moon, asteroids or onto mars within a tiny tube? Not me. :eek: This one would be powered by a nuclear reactor that drives a ion engine. This way it would be reusable. So we could go back and forth from where we wanted to go many times throughout the time spend of a few decades. We'd go to the sea faring ship model of doing things.
-Big enough to hold 5-8 people
-Enough food to last a year
-Nuclear reactor could last 10-20 years
-small area to grow food

We could make it capable for the mars mission with attaching a solar sail...:cool: (60k+!)

Sure the 110 ton rocket is still good. Still good to bring up the pieces to build what I described above. :eusa_hand:

I feel we must build a few of these and work with the private sector; asteroid mining, and other governments. Maybe asteroid mining corporations that are thinking of going ahead in doing so should build these? But make them capable of carrying material back.

This is of course would be the start of my man space program. Later I'd add a base on the moon, mars and asteroids. I'm sick of these one time use and throw away tin cans that aren't going to advance us in space no matter how hard we try.

I would actually have a man space program. Do we do anything at all other than work on satellites and look at space through the Hubble?

Forum List

Back