How to Pro Lifer feel about the Texas case

There’s that extreme example you all try to pull, again.
Laws should be reviewed with extreme examples to know where the boundaries are.

Slavery was covered in the constitution but the Jim Crow / Civil Rights laws weren’t. Those were covered y congress in the 60s.

In your POV. Should states have the right to go back to Jim Crow if they want?

I agree with you for the most part. It is important for each state to have some autonomy in a Republic. But some laws that involve human rights need to be universal. I don’t think Texas or any state for example should have the right to have Whites only restaurants

And they couldn’t have white only restaurants because 1)…it’s 2023 and 2) the 14th ammendment says “No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; ”

Laws should be reviewed with extreme examples to know where the boundaries are.

Slavery was covered in the constitution but the Jim Crow / Civil Rights laws weren’t. Those were covered y congress in the 60s.

In your POV. Should states have the right to go back to Jim Crow if they want?
They can’t..14th ammendment..

“No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; ”

To violate civil rights would be to abridge the privileges of citizens.

They can’t..14th ammendment..

“No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; ”

To violate civil rights would be to abridge the privileges of citizens.
Then why did Jim crow laws exist and why did it take the civil rights act to protect against them?

Pro lifers were the ones who fought to put laws like this in place. Pro choice supporters obviously don’t agree with Paxton. The interesting element of this story that caused me to create a thread about it was to engage with the “spectrum” of pro life supporters and talk about the gray area.

That’s not an identity politics game, it’s a legit focus for discussion
They are fools if they don't think Texas women voters are paying attention.

Then why did Jim crow laws exist and why did it take the civil rights act to protect against them?

Because, like today, with abortion, people don’t follow the constitution, actually, with like 95% of all the stuff we have in government today is a good example.

Thank goodness we got a few things straightened out, right?

Any Pro Lifers out there see something wrong with what’s happening in Texas? A woman who wants to be a mother has a non viable pregnancy… meaning the fetus will not survive and aborting the pregnancy is the best thing for her health and for her future ability to have kids.

I judge ruled that she can have the abortion and Paxton is petitioning the Texas Supreme Court to stop it… he is also threatening hospitals so they will not help this woman.

Anybody see something wrong with this situation??
Hospitals were threatened when they did not agree with Covid mandates. Threatening people bothers you? That is what your side does. A taste of your medicine hurts?

They are fools if they don't think Texas women voters are paying attention.
Yep, this will hurt repubs in Texas. I think Paxton is wrong on this one. The fact that he went to the Supreme Court to block the lower court..I think that will be his undoing.

I would also challenge Texas’ ability to prohibit abortion by mail pills, since the mail system is federal and not state. I’m not sure how they state can have any say in that.

Also, this article:

talks about the narrow exemptions for abortions, two of which are
substantial impairment of major bodily function”of a pregnant patient, and State law says treatments for miscarriages, known as “spontaneous abortions” in medicine, and ectopic pregnancies, in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus and becomes unviable, do not count as illegal abortions. The key portion there is “becomes unviable”. This woman is almost guaranteed to have a still birth or the baby wont survive very long after birth.

And..

In response, state lawmakers passed a law that now gives a legal defense to health care providers who exercise “reasonable judgment in providing medical treatment” for an “ectopic pregnancy at any location” or a “previable premature rupture of membranes,” which is when a pregnant patient’s amniotic fluid breaks before a fetus is determined to be able to survive outside of the uterus.

I’m not sure why this wouldn’t also apply to the condition this woman has.

Again, I think in this situation, should fall within the medical exemptions.

Yep, this will hurt repubs in Texas. I think Paxton is wrong on this one. The fact that he went to the Supreme Court to block the lower court..I think that will be his undoing.

I would also challenge Texas’ ability to prohibit abortion by mail pills, since the mail system is federal and not state. I’m not sure how they state can have any say in that.

Also, this article:

talks about the narrow exemptions for abortions, two of which are
substantial impairment of major bodily function”of a pregnant patient, and State law says treatments for miscarriages, known as “spontaneous abortions” in medicine, and ectopic pregnancies, in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus and becomes unviable, do not count as illegal abortions. The key portion there is “becomes unviable”. This woman is almost guaranteed to have a still birth or the baby wont survive very long after birth.

And..

In response, state lawmakers passed a law that now gives a legal defense to health care providers who exercise “reasonable judgment in providing medical treatment” for an “ectopic pregnancy at any location” or a “previable premature rupture of membranes,” which is when a pregnant patient’s amniotic fluid breaks before a fetus is determined to be able to survive outside of the uterus.

I’m not sure why this wouldn’t also apply to the condition this woman has.

Again, I think in this situation, should fall within the medical exemptions.
Because in many states the "exception" rules were merely there to trick voters into believing the lie that Conservatives were at least attempting to be humane to the mother:

Exceptions to Abortion Bans May Be Hard for Women to Access​

‘In terms of how these things work in practice, they don't,’ says one expert regarding exceptions to abortion bans due to rape or health risk.

Yet people rarely discuss how such exceptions would work in the real world. Who would decide whether a pregnant person’s life is truly at risk? What would survivors need to do to prove they were assaulted? A close reading of anti-abortion laws in 18 states reveals that even with these legal safeguards in place, many people will still face significant hurdles to getting an abortion in cases of rape, incest and medical emergencies.
In addition, many of the anti-abortion statutes prohibit physicians from considering the risk that a person forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy might take their own life. Idaho’s trigger law, for example, states, “No abortion shall be deemed necessary to prevent the death of the pregnant woman because the physician believes that the woman may or will take action to harm herself.”

"If you're going to traumatized, depressed, suicidal as a result of being forced to carry a pregnancy you don't want to carry, that's not enough anymore," says Howard.

Because, like today, with abortion, people don’t follow the constitution, actually, with like 95% of all the stuff we have in government today is a good example.

Thank goodness we got a few things straightened out, right?
So would you say that the civil rights act is unconstitutional and Jim Crow should still be legal?

Hospitals were threatened when they did not agree with Covid mandates. Threatening people bothers you? That is what your side does. A taste of your medicine hurts?
Haha, nice try to divert the thread with that randomness. But let’s keep it on point, ok bucko?

Forum List

Back