How To Make Wax Slugs.....

JoeBlam

Rookie
Jun 1, 2013
Hard to find shotgun shells these days so you might have to make do with what you can find. So when deer season comes and all you have is bird-shot, here's how to improvise:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWWqXVbAfA]How to make your own Wax Slugs for Shotguns - YouTube[/ame]

very very very dangerous.

thse things sometimes explode in the chamber and you could lose your hand or your life.

i would never do such a thing!

• Banned
very very very dangerous.

thse things sometimes explode in the chamber and you could lose your hand or your life.

i would never do such a thing!

:lol: nothing "dangerous" about it at all, dweeb....which is why you do it like in the video.... Just don't melt the plastic shot-holder (powder-piston/wad) by pouring in smoking wax....duh. :booze:

Last edited:
  • Banned
Are 12ga. slugs that hard to find?

Not from cheaperthandirt or sportsmansguide online, but the local gun shops prices are through the roof and Wally World brings in 2 shipments of various cartridges and shotgun shells a day, which are off the shelf within an hour both times. The seizure scare hoarding is still going on here in Phoenix. :eusa_eh:

Who, in their right mind, would shoot wax through their shotgun? Why would you even want to do such a dumb assed thing?

• Banned
Who, in their right mind, would shoot wax through their shotgun? Why would you even want to do such a dumb assed thing?

Uh, watching the video would be a good idea here....:eusa_whistle:

all the wax does is bond the birdshot together so it flys as a ball...duh.

I've got a Remington 870 tactical. It's black parkerized with an extended magazine and I put a 500 lumen light below the barrel. Obviously, it's not made for hunting as there is no choke on the weapon at all. It is solely for home defense and it rests in a rifle rack by the front door. I was lucky because last year I found a man at a gun show that had a case of 12 guage slugs for sale. I bought them but I have to tell you that I can't find that many for sale anymore. Maybe a couple boxes here and there.

I am going to try this myself and see what is up with it. I like this idea because if you hit something with it, looks like the parafin will break apart and let the shot do much more damage. I don't see how these things could be dangerous at all.

I've got a Remington 870 tactical. It's black parkerized with an extended magazine and I put a 500 lumen light below the barrel. Obviously, it's not made for hunting as there is no choke on the weapon at all. It is solely for home defense and it rests in a rifle rack by the front door. I was lucky because last year I found a man at a gun show that had a case of 12 guage slugs for sale. I bought them but I have to tell you that I can't find that many for sale anymore. Maybe a couple boxes here and there.

I am going to try this myself and see what is up with it. I like this idea because if you hit something with it, looks like the parafin will break apart and let the shot do much more damage. I don't see how these things could be dangerous at all.

There is a tiny spray but the majority of shot hits as a slug. Not sure you'd want to run these through a magazine....if a single shot gets out you have to disassemble to find it. I've had good results doing this through a .20ga hammer gun (single shot).

Last edited:

There is a tiny spray but the majority of shot hits as a slug. Not sure you'd want to run these through a magazine....if a single shot gets out you have to dissemble to find it. I've had good results doing this through a .20ga hammer gun (single shot).

How about the wax residue in the barrel ?

There is a tiny spray but the majority of shot hits as a slug. Not sure you'd want to run these through a magazine....if a single shot gets out you have to dissemble to find it. I've had good results doing this through a .20ga hammer gun (single shot).

Not as long as the wax seal isn't topped out over the outter case...might be a good thing for old pitted barrels.

A few passes with Hoppes and a brass brush should remove all but the smoothest residue, which is no problem because wax is not corrosive. And even that insignificant amount of wax residue will be purged by the passage of a few ordinary rounds.

This isnt a big deal.
It's kind of like cut shells. They use to use em to deer hunt before they made slugs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU]The lost art of "Cut Shells" - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back