How the ‘Ferguson effect’ is destroying Chicago

Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
If they're gang bangers, let 'em kill each other.

By Heather Mac Donald

July 9, 2016 | 1:22pm

Violence in Chicago is reaching epidemic proportions. In the first five months of 2016, someone was shot every 2¹/₂ hours and someone murdered every 14 hours, for a total of nearly 1,400 nonfatal shooting victims and 240 fatalities.

Over Memorial Day weekend, 69 people were shot, nearly one per hour, dwarfing the previous year’s tally of 53 shootings over the same period. The violence is spilling over from the city’s gang-infested South and West sides into the downtown business district; even Lake Shore Drive has seen drive-by shootings and robberies.

“I’ve been in Chicago all my life. It’s never been this bad. Mothers and grandchildren are scared to come out on their porch.”

- Chicago resident
The growing mayhem is the result of Chicago police officers’ withdrawal from proactive enforcement, making the city a dramatic example of what I have called the “Ferguson effect.”

It is a cluster fuck. The black community won't even try to fix their own problems and only care when a white person does something. Sounds pretty racist too me.

The government of Blacks is no different than yours. They are ONE and the same. So What are we Americans doing about ANY social problems of ANY ace?

It is a cluster fuck. The black community won't even try to fix their own problems and only care when a white person does something. Sounds pretty racist too me.
Your political party encourages and perpetuates the problem by making sure those who qualify for black always identify as such. Why do you say blacks belong in a race-based community?

There is no such thing as a "Black" community. There are Americans. It's about time everyone got that straight!! Content of character is COLOUR BLIND!

Greg

The thing is, it's a lot worse than most white people understand. Along with the out of control murder rate and the random shootings, there are the drug dealers on every corner, the drunk and drug-addicted homeless shuffling through the street and in every alley, pissing and shittting on the sidewalk while cursing at passersby, there are the rapes and sexual assaults on women who dare to leave their homes, beatings of the elderly who can't defend themselves, recruitment of young boys into a life of gangs, drugs and violence, crack houses, houses of prostitution, abandoned buildings full of homeless squatters that look like human rat's nests, etc.

I worked in a neighborhood like that, a Central American barrio, for two and 1/2 years. In a space of three months, three men died on the sidewalk in front of my office, two drive-by shootings and a homeless man who died of whatever he was abusing himself with. When the relatives of a young man who was killed in a drive-by put flowers on the spot he died, I paid a homeless man $5 to throw the flowers in the garbage, because in my mind a gangbanger who lived a life of violence, and died the way he lived, didn't deserve a memorial.

There is no such thing as a "Black" community. There are Americans. It's about time everyone got that straight!! Content of character is COLOUR BLIND!

Greg

You sound like a white liberal, an old one from the MLK days.
Today, everything is about race and dividing people.
We used to be a melting pot, now we have multi-culturalism that places everyone in a group.
Get used to it.

If they're gang bangers, let 'em kill each other.

By Heather Mac Donald

July 9, 2016 | 1:22pm

Violence in Chicago is reaching epidemic proportions. In the first five months of 2016, someone was shot every 2¹/₂ hours and someone murdered every 14 hours, for a total of nearly 1,400 nonfatal shooting victims and 240 fatalities.

Over Memorial Day weekend, 69 people were shot, nearly one per hour, dwarfing the previous year’s tally of 53 shootings over the same period. The violence is spilling over from the city’s gang-infested South and West sides into the downtown business district; even Lake Shore Drive has seen drive-by shootings and robberies.

“I’ve been in Chicago all my life. It’s never been this bad. Mothers and grandchildren are scared to come out on their porch.”

- Chicago resident
The growing mayhem is the result of Chicago police officers’ withdrawal from proactive enforcement, making the city a dramatic example of what I have called the “Ferguson effect.”

She is a great writer........

The shootings are starting to spread to the rich democrat areas of the city more and more....the thugs are breaking containment and leaving their neighborhoods on non-election days....the rich democrats are getting concerned....

Forum List

Back