How sexy is classical music?

"Flutes, oboes, cor anglais, clarinets, bassoons, horns harps, crotales and strings create a slow melody and a layered orchestration that evoke the eroticism of Mallarme’s poem. The original poem depicts a faun who, while playing his pan flute in the woods becomes aroused by passing nymphs and naiads. After pursuing them unsuccessfully, he abandons himself to a sleep filled with visions"

Debussy Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune - Leonard Bernstein

"With his Symphonia Domestica, Strauss literally took the music “into the bedroom,” depicting the average family life behind closed doors. After introducing each family member with a distinct theme, and after the music depicts the act of putting the child to bed (“cradle song”) the symphony develops into a three-part adagio, which is meant to evoke a love scene between the husband and the wife."

Richard Strauss - Symphonia Domestica, Op. 53

There's a park in Vienna with a place where the Strauss family presented their works to the upper crust. It still exists and they present original Strauss waltzes there. My ex-wife came to Vienna and we actually danced the original version of the waltz to that music.

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

Stadtpark, Ringstraße....the particular section you refer to is Der Kursalon Wien im Stadtpark which opened in 1867, Johann Strauß II gave his first concert there in 1868.

Stadtpark itself is immensely beautiful, it has the most statues and sculptures and monuments of any park in Vienna, the Franz Schubert is my favourite.

Your book there, this is Johann Strauß II, it's an Edmund Ritter von Hellmer 1921 sculpture and exquisite, it's a bronze statue with marble reliefs.

Zentralfriedhof is also beautiful, this is the Central Cemetery, have you visited it? It's in the Simmering area of Vienna. The Strauß family are buried there, along with Beethoven, Brahms, G. W. Pabst a great German film director and many others.

When were you in Vienna? Have you visited Der Wiener Staatsoper, the Vienna State Opera, it's on Opernring next to Kärntner Ring, not that far from Karlsplatz.

The sexiest classical piece I have ever heard.
Heard is as part of an assignment in a college course..... still gives me chills..... it's long, but is worth it.

"With his Symphonia Domestica, Strauss literally took the music “into the bedroom,” depicting the average family life behind closed doors. After introducing each family member with a distinct theme, and after the music depicts the act of putting the child to bed (“cradle song”) the symphony develops into a three-part adagio, which is meant to evoke a love scene between the husband and the wife."

There's a park in Vienna with a place where the Strauss family presented their works to the upper crust. It still exists and they present original Strauss waltzes there. My ex-wife came to Vienna and we actually danced the original version of the waltz to that music.

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

Classical is still part of European culture (for now).

For skye

goodnight!

That's beautiful! :biggrin:

Thank you Jeremiah!!!

Your welcome. I love the video because you see two horizons if you look carefully and the higher one looks as if heaven is touching earth. I liken that to Perlman's hands touching a violin!

The story of Meditation (Thais) is quite intriguing. A beautiful woman who was lost in mythology and the worship of Venus encounters a man who leads her to God and ultimately she chooses to follow God and leave her life of luxury and wealth behind (and idolatry) realizing she has chosen the better thing to follow the LORD & live a life of solitude out of the spotlight of the world.

I once knew a woman - who was considered the most beautiful woman in her city - wherever she went people commented on her beauty. She wasn't happy and realized that true happiness was found in God and so she left everything to follow Jesus Christ. She gave away her beautiful clothing, jewelry, cut off her long hair and sought God only. Her family threatened to disinherit her but they could not change her mind no matter what they did or said. One day while in church, a mother and daughter nearby saw her worshiping God. They said they were overcome with tears looking at her worship God, because she was so beautiful and young and yet so devoted to Christ - and so unbeknownst the young woman - she was more beautiful when she came out of the world then when she was in it!

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Hello, Classical and Opera have been my main obsessions since I was about 12 years-old, especially Germanic Classical and Opera and Italian Opera....I like other musical genres also, I hate any Mainstream music and have a particular loathing of Pop Music.

Anyhow, I often post Classical pieces in my "What Are You Listening To?" thread, usually with a short write-up as to the nature of the composition, when it was first performed etc.

So you're very welcome, if you so wish, to post any Classical in my thread, here's the link to my thread....also if you ever want to discuss any Classical and Opera, then I'm up for that also.

What are you listening to?

My very first post in my above thread, I posted:

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5, Allegro" composed by Bartók in 1934.

The last two pieces that I've posted have been:

Franz Liszt "Élégie No. 2, S.197, S. 131bis" composed by Liszt in 1877.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)" composed by Brahms in 1878.

One of the best dates I ever had was attending a concert of Mozart Chamber Music at the Shoenbrun Palace. Magnificent sound and amazing surroundings.

glenn-guy-schonbrunn-palace.jpg

(There's a concert hall inside with chimneys on one side that I can't find a picture of)

"Shoenbrun Palace."

The Schönbrunn Palace - Schloß Schönbrunn - 1,440 plus rooms....it is rightly a UNESCO World Heritage site, the whole thing, including the gardens is considered rightly by UNESCO, what we refer to as Gesamtkunstwerk....there is no direct English word for Gesamtkunstwerk, it basically means an all-embracing art form or a total work of art, or a synthesis of the arts or a complete art form.

I hope you visited Tiergarten Schönbrunn, within the Palace grounds, it's the oldest zoo in the world, founded I think 1750, although only having four hours sleep, I'll have to look this up, it was sometime around 1750. There's also a very beautiful pavillon where you can get Kaffee und Kuchen - coffee and cake.

"There's a concert hall inside with chimneys on one side that I can't find a picture of"

You'll have to be a bit more specific, there are many concerts held at Schönbrunn, including concerts outside, directly in front of the Gloriette:

Grosses_Parterre_web_02.jpg

To the left in the foreground, this is the Neptunbrunnen - Neptune Fountain, it was completed in 1780, very beautiful:

csm_Neptunbrunnen-Gloriette_SchlossSchoenbrunnBetriebsGmbH_LoisLammerhuber_f576c34dba.jpg

I once knew a woman - who was considered the most beautiful woman in her city - wherever she went people commented on her beauty. She wasn't happy and realized that true happiness was found in God and so she left everything to follow Jesus Christ. She gave away her beautiful clothing, jewelry, cut off her long hair and sought God only. Her family threatened to disinherit her but they could not change her mind no matter what they did or said. One day while in church, a mother and daughter nearby saw her worshiping God. They said they were overcome with tears looking at her worship God, because she was so beautiful and young and yet so devoted to Christ - and so unbeknownst the young woman - she was more beautiful when she came out of the world then when she was in it!
Jeremiah, please don't start derailing the thread with your religious fervor. ....... :cool:

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

Not "for now"....Forever....before you make a commentary about European culture, perhaps you should make the comment to a European and especially if you're making a comment regarding my actual nation.

Imagine if I made a similar comment about something American, would you an American appreciate this?

Actually, I have my own music thread which I should be posting in....rather than be in this thread and have you Jeremiah insulting my nation and my Continent.

Edited for added comment.

Europe is everyone and everyone is Europe.

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

I agree and such a rich culture and history. Like anything that is cherished it must be nurtured and protected.

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

Not "for now"....Forever....before you make a commentary about European culture, perhaps you should make the comment to a European and especially if you're making a comment regarding my actual nation.

Imagine if I made a similar comment about something American, would you an American appreciate this?

Actually, I have my own music thread which I should be posting in....rather than be in this thread and have you Jeremiah insulting my nation and my Continent.

I'm not insulting your nation. I'm in mourning for it, Lucy.

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

I agree and such a rich culture and history. Like anything that is cherished it must be nurtured and protected.

Yes, the beauty of Europe is unsurpassed (with the exception of Israel). Such a magnificent culture and history - it should be protected and cherished, Alex. I agree with you.

The sexiest classical piece I have ever heard.
Heard is as part of an assignment in a college course..... still gives me chills..... it's long, but is worth it.

I'm sorry but Wagner cannot be described as "sexy", Wagner is Herz und Seele....Heart and Soul.

Sexy to me. When I hear Liebestod - I think it's very emotionally charged, and therefore to me, sexually charged, true love and sex to me go hand in hand.

He has no manners, he's just illustrated that, what an insulting person he is.
Actually, the poster Jeremiah is a female. ...... :cool:

51JZfzHxpIL._UY250_.jpg

Europe is everyone and everyone is Europe.

Remembering the magnificent beauty and grandeur of Europe -

Forum List

Back