CDZ How quickly could the USA be making face mask?

Every medical professional says the masks are all but useless.
Not every medical professional

just the ones you choose to listen too

but whatever their value its insane to trust our lives to chinese communists

All medical professionals. If you are the one that is sick you wear a mask. It does no good to wear a mask because someone else might be sick.

No one has yet suggested the use of serious contagion protocols. Have the sick been told to seal tissues, bed pads and paper towels into a sealed plastic bag separate from household trash to be picked up by a hazmat team? Are the linens, sheets, pillowcases and towels used by the sick immediately put into a bucket of bleach and water until washing in scalding water? No. How contagious is this?

Stay home, drink plenty of fluids, wash your hands and, unless you are old and sick in 7-10 days you will get better.

All medical professionals. If you are the one that is sick you wear a mask. It does no good to wear a mask because someone else might be sick.

No one has yet suggested the use of serious contagion protocols. Have the sick been told to seal tissues, bed pads and paper towels into a sealed plastic bag separate from household trash to be picked up by a hazmat team? Are the linens, sheets, pillowcases and towels used by the sick immediately put into a bucket of bleach and water until washing in scalding water? No. How contagious is this?

Stay home, drink plenty of fluids, wash your hands and, unless you are old and sick in 7-10 days you will get better.
The mask protects others

we agree on that

but if you dont have enough masks for all the infected people due to greedy and stupid globalists the nuances of mask wearing mean nothing

The mask protects others

we agree on that

but if you dont have enough masks for all the infected people due to greedy and stupid globalists the nuances of mask wearing mean nothing
There are very few infected people. What you are hearing are the words tests positive. Which means not sick. If you are sick, stay away from elderly people with serious underlying conditions.

The mask protects others

we agree on that

There are very few infected people. What you are hearing are the words tests positive. Which means not sick. If you are sick, stay away from elderly people with serious underlying conditions.
I think there are many infected people but most infections are too mild to be noticed

the most at risk of catching the virus and dying are the sick and elderly,

whether they are in nursing homes, a cruise ship or a hospital

The mask protects others

we agree on that

I think there are many infected people but most infections are too mild to be noticed

the most at risk of catching the virus and dying are the sick and elderly,

whether they are in nursing homes, a cruise ship or a hospital
50+ but not limited to those ages. I'm in a group that reported a lot of young people dying of pneumonia recently (those were tolled with flu deaths). Some thought their friends were very healthy because they did the gym every day etc. and then boom they were in the hospital or they were just gone within days of getting sick. These were not all tested for this virus so it does make me wonder.

We were sitting here having a discussion this morning about the state of our manufacturing here in the USA and the current viral epidemic. Its dismal.

Apparently there are not enough masks and hazmat suits to go around. 3M has upped its production but even that will not fill the needs as this epidemic progresses. And no doubt it will progress because many are still in denial. I say that based on people we know without considering all the propaganda and rhetoric in the News and online. Also I was reading there won't be enough hospital beds or ventilators for all who will need them in the coming months. So my questions are these:

1. Is anyone besides 3M gearing up to meet the masks needs during this emergency?
2. Do we have manufactures that can meet the raw material needs?
3. Who makes hospital beds and ventilators?
4. How long would it take to retrofit a few of the factories to be in production of these things?
5. Is anyone considering these things in the emergency planning?

Another issue will be providing food but that can be discussed in another thread.

The masks do nothing to prevent a virus infection. The only way they help is if you are sick then they help contain your spreading the virus by containg your sneezes and prevent your contaminating a larger area.
I've seen a lot of people in Asia wearing them but they're idiots when it comes to simple hygiene. They'll wear a particle mask all day that does nothing then when the idiots sit down to eat they'll all dig into the same bowl on the table with their own chopsticks. DUH!

I suspect that the already sick and elderly make up the majority of flu deaths also

which means that for most people under 60 without a heart condition the only thing they have to fear is fear itself

We were sitting here having a discussion this morning about the state of our manufacturing here in the USA and the current viral epidemic. Its dismal.

Apparently there are not enough masks and hazmat suits to go around. 3M has upped its production but even that will not fill the needs as this epidemic progresses. And no doubt it will progress because many are still in denial. I say that based on people we know without considering all the propaganda and rhetoric in the News and online. Also I was reading there won't be enough hospital beds or ventilators for all who will need them in the coming months. So my questions are these:

1. Is anyone besides 3M gearing up to meet the masks needs during this emergency?
2. Do we have manufactures that can meet the raw material needs?
3. Who makes hospital beds and ventilators?
4. How long would it take to retrofit a few of the factories to be in production of these things?
5. Is anyone considering these things in the emergency planning?

Another issue will be providing food but that can be discussed in another thread.

The masks do nothing to prevent a virus infection. The only way they help is if you are sick then they help contain your spreading the virus by containg your sneezes and prevent your contaminating a larger area.
I've seen a lot of people in Asia wearing them but they're idiots when it comes to simple hygiene. They'll wear a particle mask all day that does nothing then when the idiots sit down to eat they'll all dig into the same bowl on the table with their own chopsticks. DUH!
Really, is that why care providers, lab techs, etc... wear face masks and eye shields. Do as you please but when in public and flu or any other viral infection is going around I will be wearing a mask if I have one to protect myself in as much as possible from other peoples diseases. Plus when I get home the gloves, shoes and clothes go off at the door and either sprayed with disinfectant or thrown into the washer whichever needs to be done.

Keep in mind folks...
The virus cells are not "free-floating" around.
They are embedded in much-much-much larger water droplets from a cough/sneeze etc.
Just sayin...

Masks do nothing to protect from the virus. If you are wearing a mask and someone NOT wearing a mask coughs next to you the virus can get on your skin, your face, in your eyes, etc. You would need to wear a hazmat suit, then clean the suit before you take it off. The people who SHOULD wear a mask are the ones infected which would not require any significant up-tick in manufacturing.
If the other person has a mask also it will help prevent the spread
Yeah but that was not my example

Clinics and hospitals are deathtraps ... filthy places ... just look at how many people die in these places ... we used to build cathedrals for God, today we build cathedrals for Death ... are you health care premiums anything more than indulgences ...
Yes they do spread disease regularly. The lung dr. after asking if I was wearing the mask because I was sick last year and I told him "no, just self preservation as I know all sorts of shit floats around in places like this". He just said, "Smart lady". I also wear it in crowded stores and such too when crud is out and about. I rarely eat out either after getting West Nile back in 2006 after eating at a restaurant.
You didn’t get west Nile from eating at a restaurant. It’s a blood borne pathogen. Unless an infected waiter slit his wrist, bled on your meal, and also hid a razor blade in it so you’d cut your mouth, then yeah, you didn’t get it from eating at a restaurant. You’re a classic hypochondriac, and dealing with people like you outside of work gives me anxiety.

If the United States went "Manhattan Project" on this ... days to have all the masks made, weeks to get them distributed ... it's not clear whether masks would be helpful, I have to use a head sock with the mask to make them work with the much larger particulates found on construction sites ... tiny virus spores may well slip right through ...
I wear a mask for my own protection whenever in a clinic or setting where sick people roam after catching the crud at the clinic right before surgery last year. Thus far it has worked well. If it were a screen and one was screening off certain size particles there is always a loss of smaller particles in the screening process that sticks to the screen. With that knowledge from actually screening materials I'd say one has a better chance wearing a mask than not while trying to avoid this virus.

The theory they don't help you if you're not sick is bullshit. It's better to have one than not.

Isn't there a plant in SD making them day and night?

I doubt if our very rural area will be quarantined, but if it were, they would have to give us time to stock up on food, prescription drugs, cat food...right? And if everyone were stocking up at our one grocery store for twenty miles one way and forty miles the other, how long would it be before they were sold out? I don't understand how a mass quarantine works. How did they handle it in Wuhan? Did they simply tell people not to leave the city boundaries or were healthy people quarantined to their homes?

The cases stated going down after the mass quarantine check the world meter tracking site. They have less confirmed in a day now than the U.S.

Doesn't everybody understand by now there are different kinds of masks? The N95 masks are used by medical personnel and can also be used effectively when dealing at home with quarantined family members who have the virus.

Simple masks are mostly good to keep potentially infected people from spreading the virus through coughing, etc. In conditions where the virus is widespread they also show one is doing one's part. They also help people not to touch their faces with their hands. If the situation gets more serious, especially in cities, on subways, in supermarkets, etc., these will surely be used a lot as they were in China.

Finally, while nobody knows how serious this can get, the U.S. has been very slow in preparing, and the mask and testing shortage is just an example. We should of course be mobilizing industry to manufacture these things here, but now that China has apparently beaten back its epidemic it is now again capable of massively, cheaply and rapidly exporting these, as well as more advanced medical equipment like ventilators. We should quickly take advantage of all such opportunities.

Last edited:
If the United States went "Manhattan Project" on this ... days to have all the masks made, weeks to get them distributed ... it's not clear whether masks would be helpful, I have to use a head sock with the mask to make them work with the much larger particulates found on construction sites ... tiny virus spores may well slip right through ...
I wear a mask for my own protection whenever in a clinic or setting where sick people roam after catching the crud at the clinic right before surgery last year. Thus far it has worked well. If it were a screen and one was screening off certain size particles there is always a loss of smaller particles in the screening process that sticks to the screen. With that knowledge from actually screening materials I'd say one has a better chance wearing a mask than not while trying to avoid this virus.

The theory they don't help you if you're not sick is bullshit. It's better to have one than not.

Yes they have a plant in SD. Even a regular mask can help if one has nothing else. The problem is not enough for the entire medical community as this all progresses but good practices if everyone will use them can make a difference.

Like today a barnie fife pulled me over because I didn't have the plates installed yet (less than 24hrs since I bought the new registration and plates). The guy had no reason to stand so close to my window breathing in on me and giving me some of his spit as he talked for a crappy little fix-it ticket. It pissed me off because these people are the ones that should be taking this seriously. Its like they do not understand what a plague is or they think its some kind of joke or bs. Just unprofessional as hell.

In Salt Lake City suburbs its already spreading like wildfire. One lady at a lil place I stop was telling me her sister on the way back from Florida could not stop at one of the towns they usually stop at in Georgia for a pee break.

Yes they have a plant in SD. Even a regular mask can help if one has nothing else. The problem is not enough for the entire medical community as this all progresses but good practices if everyone will use them can make a difference.

Like today a barnie fife pulled me over because I didn't have the plates installed yet (less than 24hrs since I bought the new registration and plates). The guy had no reason to stand so close to my window breathing in on me and giving me some of his spit as he talked for a crappy little fix-it ticket. It pissed me off because these people are the ones that should be taking this seriously. Its like they do not understand what a plague is or they think its some kind of joke or bs. Just unprofessional as hell.

In Salt Lake City suburbs its already spreading like wildfire. One lady at a lil place I stop was telling me her sister on the way back from Florida could not stop at one of the towns they usually stop at in Georgia for a pee break.

Apparently a bandana has minimal protection a doctor I know is wearing one and surgical gloves to grocery shop and I asked about the makeshift mask, he said any protection is better than none outside of hospital in hospital it's surgical, as far as his gloves he puts them on just before entering the grocery store or other places and when exiting throws them away in the trash can outside. Apparently he has plenty of gloves.

Forum List

Back