How much ya'll paying......

I am curious as to how much everyone is paying for stuff, whether it's groceries or gas or??? and what state or area you live. I'd like to keep this thread going to track the changing prices.

Here in western WA, the cost of a dozen eggs are now $3 and up, depending on where you shop and the last time I was in a Walmart, there wasn't an egg to be had anywhere. Whole case was empty but I didn't check the price at the time.

My cousin lives in Alabama and posted the cost of an 18pk of eggs were $10.42. I was floored at that cost in one of the poorest states in the nation.

So how much are you paying for eggs? Other goods???
Eggs are $5/doz in MiN & WI....$4/qt for whipping cream...Gas is $3.30-ish.

Eggs are at least $3.60-ish/diz. I'm not even buying any. Nope, not at those prices.

Electric bill is suddenly 50% higher. That's bad. :(
That's only 30 cents per egg, still pretty cheap. I've been paying $5/dozen for extra-large organic eggs for years.

True. They have to kill all the birds, disinfect, and then start over. Fortunately, the poultry industry recovers pretty fast.
When I was a small boy my Grandmother had a chicken/rabbit ranch and culling was a regular process. The cockerells were raised for the meat, while most of the hen chicks were sold off to egg ranches. Newer breeds produce eggs much faster than years ago. If you raise them you would know more than I do about that. I can imagine how devastating it is to the ranchers to cull for sickness. I'm sure after the cleanup they should be able to produce eggs within a few months.

True. They have to kill all the birds, disinfect, and then start over. Fortunately, the poultry industry recovers pretty fast.
I lived in the county where Max Foster founded Foster Farms. They produce poultry on the west coast. That company is so protective of their poultry barns that you would think you were entering an infectious disease ward in a hospital with all the precautions to prevent avian diseases that they take. An outbreak can be devastating.

I lived in the county where Max Foster founded Foster Farms. They produce poultry on the west coast. That company is so protective of their poultry barns that you would think you were entering an infectious disease ward in a hospital with all the precautions to prevent avian diseases that they take. An outbreak can be devastating.
Trucks and vehicles that were at other ranches can bring in disease. It's like that in citrus ranches also.

You never get all the hens to lay. Each flock has a 'pecking order' which suppresses some laying. Also, some hens are late bloomers or don't develop at all as layers. They go into the stew pot. Dividing the flock sometimes helps as it establishes a new pecking order where non-layers often start laying.
What I meant was were all 9 laying hens.

I am curious as to how much everyone is paying for stuff, whether it's groceries or gas or??? and what state or area you live. I'd like to keep this thread going to track the changing prices.

Here in western WA, the cost of a dozen eggs are now $3 and up, depending on where you shop and the last time I was in a Walmart, there wasn't an egg to be had anywhere. Whole case was empty but I didn't check the price at the time.

My cousin lives in Alabama and posted the cost of an 18pk of eggs were $10.42. I was floored at that cost in one of the poorest states in the nation.

So how much are you paying for eggs? Other goods???
UK speaking, forget food etc.. Currently, my pension fund has nearly halved in value due to inflation and interest rates. If I was born 2 1/2 years sooner, things would have been brilliant. So now, do I take a lump sum, or wait a decade for hopefully pensions go back up. Worrying about food and fuel prices has gone down on my list of priorities. In every economy in every situation, there are winners and losers, and it fluctuates more often than hairs we have on our backsides.

You never get all the hens to lay. Each flock has a 'pecking order' which suppresses some laying. Also, some hens are late bloomers or don't develop at all as layers. They go into the stew pot. Dividing the flock sometimes helps as it establishes a new pecking order where non-layers often start laying.
This was our first batch and Mrs MOe made friends with them...so none are getting stewed. 😕

That is a good price for 18. I pay that for 12
It pays to shop around. Some of the IGA type stores in this area have prices like that, but the national chain stores have more reasonably priced eggs. In our county, IGA is $2.99-$3.25 a dozen, but Walmart and Safeway are ~$2/dozen or you can buy 18/$2.79 or so. Walmart is where we get ours but I was amused to see that they very seldom have the price posted on the 18-pack eggs.

It pays to shop around. Some of the IGA type stores in this area have prices like that, but the national chain stores have more reasonably priced eggs. In our county, IGA is $2.99-$3.25 a dozen, but Walmart and Safeway are ~$2/dozen or you can buy 18/$2.79 or so. Walmart is where we get ours but I was amused to see that they very seldom have the price posted on the 18-pack eggs.

Right now, Walmart is about the cheapest place, though the last 2 times I've been there, they were all sold out. And I think our prices are about .50 cents more per dozen......though prices are changing daily

Forum List

Back