What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much does your school district pay for ESL?

chanel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Schools around this country are laying off teachers and other school personnel like never before. Class sizes will go up; academic programs are being cut; as well as sports and extracurricular activities. Have you attended a school board meeting? Has anyone ever asked how much it is costing to educate illegal aliens and anchor babies in your child's school? You won't get a straight answer, but ask anyway. It should be part of the conversation, in light of these dire times. I'd like to see that question in the paper every time they report on cuts, layoffs and/or school tax increases.

OP
C

chanel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not in a good mood del. 36 teachers in my district will be laid off IF the budget passes. If it doesn't, who knows how many? My principal (who I adore) may also lose his job. It just fuckin sux, ya know? But the good news is that the ESL program not only won't be cut, they just got an increase. How do you say "ladeefuckindah" en espanol? :evil:

del

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not in a good mood del. 36 teachers in my district will be laid off IF the budget passes. If it doesn't, who knows how many? My principal (who I adore) may also lose his job. It just fuckin sux, ya know? But the good news is that the ESL program not only won't be cut, they just got an increase. How do you say "ladeefuckindah" en espanol? :evil:

i've no idea. i favor immersion, myself, but it's the SPED budget that's croaking my town.

Annie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Schools around this country are laying off teachers and other school personnel like never before. Class sizes will go up; academic programs are being cut; as well as sports and extracurricular activities. Have you attended a school board meeting? Has anyone ever asked how much it is costing to educate illegal aliens and anchor babies in your child's school? You won't get a straight answer, but ask anyway. It should be part of the conversation, in light of these dire times. I'd like to see that question in the paper every time they report on cuts, layoffs and/or school tax increases.

Somewhere a mandate must have come down in mid-2000's. 2003 and before, our high school district spent $0, favored Del's plan of immersion. Beginning in 2003 it was $400k+. 2005, $650k+. That was the last budget I found, on page 203. Not looking again for more current. ;)

Special Ed expenditures 2005= $1,675,000.

Angelhair

Reaction score
More and more children here illegally qualify for special ed - being that their moms never received much in prenatal care in their country. So they come here illegally and the schools HAVE to give them the special education they need. If only americans knew how much they cost this country we would probably have a revolution.

Ravi

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Maybe the teachers should be retrained to keep up with the times.

:eusa_whistle:

OP
C

chanel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Um. Yeah - that's the ticket. Multi-linguistic teachers could save the states billions. :cuckoo:

I can't find dollar figures, but according to NJ DOE website, there were over 300,000 LEP students in the state of NJ.

And yes, special education costs are absolutely ridiculous. But no one will dare go near that one. Can't you hear it now "They are going after the HANDICAPPED CHILDREN!"?

Just remember folks - for every new ESL/Bilingual teacher hired in the near future, a math teacher may be cut. It's not about equal rights - It's about SPECIAL rights. This shit has got to stop.

OP
C

chanel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks xsited. NJ per pupil costs are twice this:

Excluding the additional costs for subsidized school feeding programs, the average cost of educating children, including the children of illegal aliens, in the nation's public schools is about $7,524 per child per year. For a K-12 education, that is almost $100,000 per child.

Rutgers (my alma mater) just launched an interactive immigration map. It's a free guide to free shit. Undocumented and can't find all the free shit? Here ya go!

I quit the alumni association a few years ago when they built the $100 million football stadium and paid the coach $2 mil. Now they are really on my shit list. (not literally - there's no free shit list for the taxpayers). :evil:

The Rutgers Immigration Infrastructure Map, a work in progress since last June, will identify and describe each of the 650-plus social-service agencies in New Jersey that support immigrants, and will map them on a website.

By publicizing the agencies’ work, project organizers hope to help immigrants adapt to their new life, and to determine where more services are needed

Rutgers plans to launch N.J. 'immigration infrastructure map' online | - NJ.com

Defiant1

Gold Member
Reaction score

In case you haven't heard people all over the country have been losing their jobs. It's been happening for quite a while now.

Do you think teachers should be immune?

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Reaction score
My high school had a large ESL department, we also had a lot of legal immigrants who's families pay taxes.

OP
C

chanel

Silver Member
Reaction score

In case you haven't heard people all over the country have been losing their jobs. It's been happening for quite a while now.

Do you think teachers should be immune?

Really? I had no idea. :cuckoo:

Just pointing out what IS IMMUNE. And it has to stop. If you asked the parents in my district whether they'd rather pay for illegals (which are estimated half the immigrants in my state) or keep a math teacher, I'm fairly certain I could guess the answer. It needs to be asked. Over and over and over again.

Ravi

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My high school had a large ESL department, we also had a lot of legal immigrants who's families pay taxes.
Same here. Teachers really have no choice but to teach what needs to be learned. :eusa_whistle:

Angelhair

Reaction score
LEGAL immigrants do pay taxes - but ILLEGAL ones pay very, very little if any at all - 'cept for sales taxes.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$350.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List