How media takes sides, "Roe v Wade could end all abortions", alternatively "gun law restrictions won't lead to confiscation of guns". Left v Right.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
First off, I am not taking sides on the issues, I have simply become a student of politics and media. Balanced, fair and investigative media is essential to an informed public and we are losing it. Bias in ones discourse, conscious or not; is hurting medias credibility.

In some of the early discussions of Roe vs Wade, for someone uniformed as I was and I imagine many citizens who aren't lawyers or interested in a decision 50 years old, we saw the headlines and heard the discussion framed in the worst case scenario, "all states can ban abortion now!" In Canada and BBC it was essentially promoted as "America bans abortion"

Without any discussion of the details or the breaking down of the decision. For a dumbed down public, hey, "it's best for you if you don't know the details, just remain in the fetal position and WE will tell YOU how to think, ok"? How many Americans now believe that this decision banned all abortions? I bet you too many to count.

When discussing guns however, except for the odd Fox News guest who will push the fear position on guns just as MSNBC and CNN push the fear on RvW (all media, left or right, equally disingenuous outside of extreme law proposals), the narrative is that the "new restrictions are purely for safety and a benefit to all, your freedoms haven't changed" they never state "this new gun law COULD lead to the confiscation of your gun".

The positioning of issues without thorough vetting of the issue and discussing it in detail is designed to influence people purely for political purposes, harms faith in media and is possible due to a lack of critical thinking.

A typical headline is one below, notice the negative:

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion​

Now, in regards to guns, notice the more "comforting" headline to those opposed to new laws:

Gun control won't lead to gun confiscation​

Last edited:
Our media in this country is completely useless. They Lie their asses off every day. And feed the people what they want you to hear.

So most who watch it have NO CLUE of the real deal. It is a form of Brain Washing. And it's screwing this country sideways.

The intent of the constitution and even the Roe V Wade decision way back when was for the legislature to come up with a compromise solution to settle the matter. But they kicked the can down for 50 years. The Mississippi law is a GOOD COMPROMISE. Neither side gets what they want there. But it gives and takes which would be FAIR.

But FAIR is not what the left wants..........They DEMAND ABORTION ON DEMAND in blue States, and then say we WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO 15 WEEKS in your state. LOL
If we lived in a reasonable world the Mississippi law would be made to the entire nation. ENTIRE NATION. But we no longer live in a reasonable world.

Our media in this country is completely useless. They Lie their asses off every day. And feed the people what they want you to hear.

So most who watch it have NO CLUE of the real deal. It is a form of Brain Washing. And it's screwing this country sideways.

The intent of the constitution and even the Roe V Wade decision way back when was for the legislature to come up with a compromise solution to settle the matter. But they kicked the can down for 50 years. The Mississippi law is a GOOD COMPROMISE. Neither side gets what they want there. But it gives and takes which would be FAIR.

But FAIR is not what the left wants..........They DEMAND ABORTION ON DEMAND in blue States, and then say we WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO 15 WEEKS in your state. LOL
If we lived in a reasonable world the Mississippi law would be made to the entire nation. ENTIRE NATION. But we no longer live in a reasonable world.

I thought I heard McCarthy or some politician state that they were open to passing a federal law that would protect abortion up to 15 or 12 weeks. I don't know if I am accurate or not but it was discussed briefly and with passing on CNN.

This might solve some of the issue while also separating it from the constitution misrepresentation, no?

It's a fine line for both parties politically, as Dems may rally NY and California, states they will never lose anyways, but, they risk alienating Hispanic voters nationally, a base they are already losing ground with, as Hispanics are have deep religious convictions on this issue that lean to the GOP.

I thought I heard McCarthy or some politician state that they were open to passing a federal law that would protect abortion up to 15 or 12 weeks. I don't know if I am accurate or not but it was discussed briefly and with passing on CNN.

This might solve some of the issue while also separating it from the constitution misrepresentation, no?

It's a fine line for both parties politically, as Dems may rally NY and California, states they will never lose anyways, but, they risk alienating Hispanic voters nationally, a base they are already losing ground with, as Hispanics are have deep religious convictions on this issue that lean to the GOP.
It is a Wedge Issue and the lunatics of the left don't want compromise. They want abortion on demand. In the blue states this decision changes nothing. NOTHING. They have no laws to overturn. They allow abortion up to and including birth.

Late Term abortion if the baby is healthy is barbarism. It's not the VAST number of abortions but it is MURDER to many of us. It is DISGUSTING and should NOT BE ALLOWED IN ANY STATE.

Given the numbers that is not so much to COMPROMISE ON for the left......BUT NO............THEY NEVER COMPROMISE. So here we are and now have it going to the other extreme.............which is great for DIRTY POLITICS WANTING TO KEEP THE WEDGE ISSUE.

If they didn't want to use it for politics it would have already been done.

Forum List

Back