How many Americans have pre-existing conditions?

At Risk: Pre-Existing Conditions Could Affect 1 in 2 Americans: - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Pre-existing conditions: The age group most vulnerable if coverage goes away

Up to 50%.

Ask anyone who sold health insurance before the ACA and they'll tell you getting people through underwriting was a pain in the ass. Declines were at least 30%.
Then they can go into high risk pools.

Insurance is there for people who plan ahead, not for those who want everyone else to pay their bills after they get sick or injured.
High risk pools cost significantly more.
If you're a high risk driver, you pay more for that insurance too.

Life's tough, shit happens, wear a fucking helmet.

At Risk: Pre-Existing Conditions Could Affect 1 in 2 Americans: - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

Up to 50%.

Ask anyone who sold health insurance before the ACA and they'll tell you getting people through underwriting was a pain in the ass. Declines were at least 30%.

Insurance is there for people who plan ahead, not for those who want everyone else to pay their bills after they get sick or injured.

Believe it or not, there are many people who are high risk through absolutely no fault of their own.

I know you don't care, but it true.

Actually, you don't understand all what is considered pre-existing conditions. High blood pressure is considered a pre-existing condition. How many people have that? It is even worse for women, where there are dozens of pre-existing conditions are tied to reproductive organs and the simplest things like endometriosis.
Hypertension is rarely a pre-existing condition in one's overall life span...It's something that develops, largely from lifestyle.

If you're going to wait to buy insurance until you develop hypertension, then it's no longer insurance properly defined...It's pre-paid medical.....These people belong in a high risk pool.

Believe it or not, there are many people who are high risk through absolutely no fault of their own.

I know that...Lifelong diabetics are one example.

But at that point, we're no longer talking about insurance, properly defined....That would be pre-paid medical care in a high risk pool, where they belong...You're trying to change the language in a very Orwellian way.

Actually, you don't understand all what is considered pre-existing conditions. High blood pressure is considered a pre-existing condition. How many people have that? It is even worse for women, where there are dozens of pre-existing conditions are tied to reproductive organs and the simplest things like endometriosis.
Hypertension is rarely a pre-existing condition in one's overall life span...It's something that develops, largely from lifestyle.

If you're going to wait to buy insurance until you develop hypertension, then it's no longer insurance properly defined...It's pre-paid medical.....These people belong in a high risk pool.

It IS considered a pre-existing condition. It's not about waiting to get insurance after you have hyper-tension. There are many other instances where it can come into play. For example you lose your job that has insurance and you can't afford the COBRA pay and you are forced to go without insurance until you find a new job and the waiting period with that job to get their insurance. Boom, the new insurance can use it as a pre-existing condition. Or for example if a person is now receiving Medicaid and that gets cut out and people are forced to go without insurance until the Republicans come up with a new plan? Again, it is considered a pre-existing condition. High blood pressure and some other heart conditions have been linked to genetic factors. Can people help control their high blood pressure by what they eat and their lifestyle? Sure if they can afford to.

Up to 50%.

Ah fuck them! Survival of the fittest! That is until people who say that have a kid born with a disease or defect. Getting cancer sure changed McCain's view on healthcare.

Pre existing conditions coverage is just another form of filthy ass welfare.

You don't pay into an insurance policy but when you get sick and go sign up for it somebody has to pay your bill. Despicable!
I do not think you know what pre-existing conditions mean in the context of health insurance. it was a despicable method insurance companies used to deny claims on people who had paid in good faith for insurance.

I don't think you understand the concept of welfare.

It is welfare when the filthy ass government requires that somebody else pays your bills and that is exactly what that despicable Obamacare required..

Now there are some private insurance plans that accepts all pre existing conditions. Most employer plans have that stipulation and that is fine. It is by choice.

What is wrong it when it is mandated by the government. That drives up the cost of the insurance for the paying customer and that is immoral.

The filthy government needs to stay out of the business of regulating most everything, especially health care.

It IS considered a pre-existing condition. It's not about waiting to get insurance after you have hyper-tension. There are many other instances where it can come into play. For example you lose your job that has insurance and you can't afford the COBRA pay and you are forced to go without insurance until you find a new job and the waiting period with that job to get their insurance. Boom, the new insurance can use it as a pre-existing condition. Or for example if a person is now receiving Medicaid and that gets cut out and people are forced to go without insurance until the Republicans come up with a new plan? Again, it is considered a pre-existing condition. High blood pressure and some other heart conditions have been linked to genetic factors. Can people help control their high blood pressure by what they eat and their lifestyle? Sure if they can afford to.
I don't give a shit if it's considered a pre-existing condition...It isn't one like lifelong diabetes is....And the overwhelming majority of hypertension and heart disease is brought about by lifestyle, not genetics.

Employer-provided insurance is a huge part of the problem...People treat it like an entitlement and a bottomless pit of "free" medical care for any time that any medical expense, no matter how piddling, is incurred....No wonder it has become so expensive.

Back in the day, medical insurance was known as "hospitalization"...It wasn't expected to cover each and every contact with anyone who wore a lab coat.

You do, it's a common disease called callous stupidity.

And naive, emotionally motivated people like you have to be rescued by people like me.
Feelings for the "pre-existing conditions" folks don't solve the problem that the MSM has blown way out of proportion.
Again if you read closely you will see Obamacare's "Pre-existing condition Insurance Plan" had 19,569 people with
pre-existing conditions enrolled!
State by State Enrollment in the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
That is so far off of the 169 million Obama first told is! ONLY 19,569 enrolled in the insurance plan specifically for them!
Democrats dont do well with numbers especially if money is involved

Remember when Obama said this in order to get pre-existing conditions as part of ACA?
I think that the use of the phrase "Up to half of all Americans have a pre-existing condition" by Obama as a gross exaggeration! 169 million?
The impression that you and millions other have is that because of that, these 169 million can't get insurance!
A) There never were 169 million that couldn't get insurance BECAUSE as the above points out less than 8% are NOT covered by private, group,government health insurance. So there is no where near HALF that can't get insurance due to "pre-existing conditions"! As that is NOT an issue!
B) The only people that have "pre-existing conditions" that have to pay HIGHER for health insurance are because as any logical rational person understands those people will require MORE expenses to cover them!
C) Since most people (evidently you included) have NO idea how insurance works... here is a quick lesson:
1) Insurance covers future claims.
2) companies willing to pay future claims, need to figure out for two reasons WHAT the risks are they will have
to pay out the claims:
a) STATES where they are selling REQUIRE reserves to pay future claims...
b) Companies CAN"T have reserves if they don't make a profit to set aside for FUTURE claims.
It is as simple as that.
So companies calculate what they will need for future claims BASED on what they know about the insurance prospect i.e. does the prospect have some conditions that will mean $100,000s in future claims.

NOW group insurance is different in that ONE plan may cover 1,000s of people versus 1 plan covering 1 person!

So that's why there is a "pre-existing conditions" for primarily ONLY private insurance, i.e. 1 person signing up for 1 insurance policy.
The cost of signing up a employer with 1,000 employees for health insurance is far less than it is to sign up 1,000 individuals. Hence there are savings with employer health plans and no need for "pre-existing conditions".

So how many Americans have pre-existing conditions that prevent them from having health insurance?

Well the facts are there are far far less and Obamacare proved it!
NOW for FURTHER PROOF coming from Obamacare statistics!!!
Only 115,000 were members of the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP),a high-risk insurance program established as a bridge between pre-Obamacare coverage and the establishment of its exchanges.
Pre-Existing Condition Tweaks Likely Affect 0.5 Percent Of Americans
Only 115,000 out of the Obama exaggeration of "Up to half of all Americans have a pre-existing condition" !
Why not look it up, before vomiting the first bullshit thought that fizzles into your colon?

102 Million in U.S. Have Pre-Existing Conditions, Study Says
Thats still not half

Remember when Obama said this in order to get pre-existing conditions as part of ACA?
I think that the use of the phrase "Up to half of all Americans have a pre-existing condition" by Obama as a gross exaggeration! 169 million?
The impression that you and millions other have is that because of that, these 169 million can't get insurance!
A) There never were 169 million that couldn't get insurance BECAUSE as the above points out less than 8% are NOT covered by private, group,government health insurance. So there is no where near HALF that can't get insurance due to "pre-existing conditions"! As that is NOT an issue!
B) The only people that have "pre-existing conditions" that have to pay HIGHER for health insurance are because as any logical rational person understands those people will require MORE expenses to cover them!
C) Since most people (evidently you included) have NO idea how insurance works... here is a quick lesson:
1) Insurance covers future claims.
2) companies willing to pay future claims, need to figure out for two reasons WHAT the risks are they will have
to pay out the claims:
a) STATES where they are selling REQUIRE reserves to pay future claims...
b) Companies CAN"T have reserves if they don't make a profit to set aside for FUTURE claims.
It is as simple as that.
So companies calculate what they will need for future claims BASED on what they know about the insurance prospect i.e. does the prospect have some conditions that will mean $100,000s in future claims.

NOW group insurance is different in that ONE plan may cover 1,000s of people versus 1 plan covering 1 person!

So that's why there is a "pre-existing conditions" for primarily ONLY private insurance, i.e. 1 person signing up for 1 insurance policy.
The cost of signing up a employer with 1,000 employees for health insurance is far less than it is to sign up 1,000 individuals. Hence there are savings with employer health plans and no need for "pre-existing conditions".

So how many Americans have pre-existing conditions that prevent them from having health insurance?

Well the facts are there are far far less and Obamacare proved it!
NOW for FURTHER PROOF coming from Obamacare statistics!!!
Only 115,000 were members of the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP),a high-risk insurance program established as a bridge between pre-Obamacare coverage and the establishment of its exchanges.
Pre-Existing Condition Tweaks Likely Affect 0.5 Percent Of Americans
Only 115,000 out of the Obama exaggeration of "Up to half of all Americans have a pre-existing condition" !
Healthmyths, your logic is valid, but without soul. The foundation on which you base your assertion is numbers. I personally know of two people who died due to refusal by insurance carriers to insure them. One was the husband of a co-worker due to cardiac disease, and the other a 38ish widower with a 14 yr old daughter who had an auto accident and his aorta was separated from his heart. ER patched him together but recommended a heart transplant. HMO denied coverage because they said the procedure was still experimental. This was about 20 years ago. He died.

I tell you this simply to point out that it is not the numbers. Like the holocaust that claims some 6 million lost, the more important number is 1 timed by 6 million, because I think the one is just as important a number as the greater number, and so, I think, would you if it is your mother, father, wife, child, brother, sister, friend that has diabetes or cerebral palsy. These people don't want a hand out, they want to live. While I do not advocate Medicare for all because I still can't see how it is possible, I do point out that Medicare overhead is about 3% I hear, whereas insurers overhead is up in the double digits with hefty paychecks and bonuses for top levels.

We were once a 'Can-Do' nation, but lately all I hear is 'Can't Do'. Don't laugh, but if we could sent a man to the moon.....

You don't pay into an insurance policy but when you get sick and go sign up for it somebody has to pay your bill. Despicable!
I do not think you know what pre-existing conditions mean in the context of health insurance. it was a despicable method insurance companies used to deny claims on people who had paid in good faith for insurance.

It is welfare when the filthy ass government requires that somebody else pays your bills and that is exactly what that despicable Obamacare required..

Now there are some private insurance plans that accepts all pre existing conditions. Most employer plans have that stipulation and that is fine. It is by choice.

What is wrong it when it is mandated by the government. That drives up the cost of the insurance for the paying customer and that is immoral.

The filthy government needs to stay out of the business of regulating most everything, especially health care.
You sound like one of those shitty octogenarians yelling for the government to keep it's hands off your medicare.

[
Healthmyths, your logic is valid, but without soul. The foundation on which you base your assertion is numbers. I personally know of two people who died due to refusal by insurance carriers to insure them. One was the husband of a co-worker due to cardiac disease, and the other a 38ish widower with a 14 yr old daughter who had an auto accident and his aorta was separated from his heart. ER patched him together but recommended a heart transplant. HMO denied coverage because they said the procedure was still experimental. This was about 20 years ago. He died.

I tell you this simply to point out that it is not the numbers. Like the holocaust that claims some 6 million lost, the more important number is 1 timed by 6 million, because I think the one is just as important a number as the greater number, and so, I think, would you if it is your mother, father, wife, child, brother, sister, friend that has diabetes or cerebral palsy. These people don't want a hand out, they want to live. While I do not advocate Medicare for all because I still can't see how it is possible, I do point out that Medicare overhead is about 3% I hear, whereas insurers overhead is up in the double digits with hefty paychecks and bonuses for top levels.

We were once a 'Can-Do' nation, but lately all I hear is 'Can't Do'. Don't laugh, but if we could sent a man to the moon.....
Anecdotes aren't arguments.

If all of your "soul" can't overcome logic and the mathematics, then you care more about your own feelings than you do about anything else, up to and including the people you proclaim to care about.

Almost everyone has a pre-existing condition.
For example, if you relatives show history of cancer, then likely you have the same pre-existing condition as having a genetic likelihood of cancer.
You could even say breaking bones easily is a pre-existing condition.
Everyone has some genetic weakness most likely.

I don't give a shit if it's considered a pre-existing condition...It isn't one like lifelong diabetes is....And the overwhelming majority of hypertension and heart disease is brought about by lifestyle, not genetics.

Employer-provided insurance is a huge part of the problem...People treat it like an entitlement and a bottomless pit of "free" medical care for any time that any medical expense, no matter how piddling, is incurred....No wonder it has become so expensive.

Back in the day, medical insurance was known as "hospitalization"...It wasn't expected to cover each and every contact with anyone who wore a lab coat.

You don't give a shit about high blood pressures? It is one of the top killers in the nation among ALL deaths medical, accidental, or criminal, and in some age groups IS the number one killer.

Ah fuck them! Survival of the fittest! That is until people who say that have a kid born with a disease or defect. Getting cancer sure changed McCain's view on healthcare.
Straw man argument....As for kids with inherent health problems, you've probably never heard of Shriner's or St. Jude's, have you?

It's not a strawman. It has been played out several times over. Shriner's and St. Jude's isn't going to do any good if a family can't afford to pack up their entire family and move them near a hospital. So a kid is born with problems with seizures, then what? Oh for check ups and to get refills on meds they have to fly to the closest Shriner's or St. Judes? Oh and how are they going to pay for that expensive seizure medicine? And that child born with seizure problems, let's say they do happen to still get insurance, what are they going to do when they hit the insurance money cap when they turn 14?

All Americans had the best healthcare in the world. Till the libs [ who are the most stingy with their own money yet love to dig in others peoples pockets ] created welfare or sickfare and ruined it for all.

We had care for our poor in clinics and teaching hospitals. Most worked and doctors gave their time to the poor who were poor by no fault of their own.
Our doctors were rich and happy like we liked them. Nobody wants a depressed doctor or pilot in control of their life.
Now it doesn't pay to be a doctor.
Medical schools will take in and pass anyone who will take the low wage job. Not to say some are not great doctors but not many as before.
Libs think we owe those who sit on their butts and do nothing but have kids and get freebees.
Men no longer support their kids and women no longer have self respect. It is not their fault really it is the fault of apathy and complacency on the part of those who allow it.
When I was young 99% of men worked and supported their kids or went to prison where they belonged. Bring back the chain gangs,please!
Women had enough self respect not to lay down with just anyone and get knocked up.
We are a very sick immoral society. I have 13 grandkids and 12 great grand kids and over half are with unmarried single mothers.
Most are now on pills for depression and and America has more suicide than any nation on earth! ESPECIALLY white middle aged men, and young people are second.

Yeah, cause in 1950 if you weren’t cured by penecillian you just died !

It’s 2019. Medicine is super advanced . But feel free to request leeches at your next cancer screening.

I'd rather have leeches than most blood thinners so yea " bring back the leeches". At least I'd know where they came from.

Actually this is the very first generation in American history who won't live longer than their parents generation. Americans lives are starting to shorten.
We need to do something but what is the question in a nation of self loathing athlete and entertainment worshipers. I'm very worried about the men in this nation.

You sound like one of those shitty octogenarians yelling for the government to keep it's hands off your medicare.

Actually I pay my own bills and don't like the fucking taking my money and giving it to you filthy ass welfare queens. Government mandated pre existing conditions is simply another form of welfare and sorry ass people getting something for nothing that other people have to pay for.

I don't like people using the government to steal from me.

You would also if you had any morals. You pathetic sorry ass Moon Bats are always short on moral clarity, aren't you?

Actually I pay my own bills and don't like the fucking taking my money and giving it to you filthy ass welfare queens. Government mandated pre existing conditions is simply another form of welfare and sorry ass people getting something for nothing that other people have to pay for.

I don't like people using the government to steal from me.

You would also if you had any morals. You pathetic sorry ass Moon Bats are always short on moral clarity, aren't you?
That's some nice rage you got going there grandpa.

Forum List

Back