How long can they hold Kim Davis?

they have got to let her out sometime. When is that? When is her sentence up?

What is she exactly charged with? What law is she violating? An edict from the SCOTUS who made law? Is that what she is in violation of?

She can be held as long as she holds that position, and refuses to obey the law...

What statute are you referring to that says a person can be put in jail for contempt. The fifth amendment actually says no person may be deprived of life, liberty, and property without due process of law. I'm curious what law actually says she can be deprived of her liberty for contempt.
She had due process, she disobeyed the court, more than once.

"As explained in the People's Law Dictionary by Gerald and Kathleen Hill, "there are essentially two types of contempt: (1) being rude, disrespectful to the judge or other attorneys or causing a disturbance in the courtroom, particularly after being warned by the judge; (2) willful failure to obey an order of the court."[5] Contempt proceedings are especially used to enforce equitable remedies, such as injunctions.[6]"
Contempt of court - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking for an actual law written in the official statute. While The people's law ductionary is a book it is not the same book that I was inquiring about. I don't think the police are referring the people's law dictionary when they say "book em" or throw the book at them.

She can be held as long as she holds that position, and refuses to obey the law...

What statute are you referring to that says a person can be put in jail for contempt. The fifth amendment actually says no person may be deprived of life, liberty, and property without due process of law. I'm curious what law actually says she can be deprived of her liberty for contempt.
She had due process, she disobeyed the court, more than once.

"As explained in the People's Law Dictionary by Gerald and Kathleen Hill, "there are essentially two types of contempt: (1) being rude, disrespectful to the judge or other attorneys or causing a disturbance in the courtroom, particularly after being warned by the judge; (2) willful failure to obey an order of the court."[5] Contempt proceedings are especially used to enforce equitable remedies, such as injunctions.[6]"
Contempt of court - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking for an actual law written in the official statute. While The people's law ductionary is a book it is not the same book that I was inquiring about. I don't think the police are referring the people's law dictionary when they say "book em" or throw the book at them.

Here's a court decision declaring that people can be held indefinitely on civil contempt charges: Chadwick v. Janecka

The "imprisonment" is coercive, not punitive. All she has to do is comply with the court order, and she'll be let go.

Boo Hoo Hoo, $80,000 a year and now she has to go find a real job.
She will be a symbol of resistance to tyranny and a symbol of religious freedom to Americans who still care. I am sure a job with the AFA or some other pro religious rights group is in the future for her. :)

You can rule out her being hired by NOM. They are in debt up to their eyeballs.

What is she exactly charged with? What law is she violating? An edict from the SCOTUS who made law? Is that what she is in violation of?

Contempt. She was ordered to follow the law because she lost her day in court.

What law? I'm not referring to a court order to comply but an actual law she broke.

18 U.S. Code § 401 - Power of court | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

A court of the United States shall have power to punish by fine or imprisonment, or both, at its discretion, such contempt of its authority, and none other, as—
(1) Misbehavior of any person in its presence or so near thereto as to obstruct the administration of justice;
(2) Misbehavior of any of its officers in their official transactions;
(3) Disobedience or resistance to its lawful writ, process, order, rule, decree, or command.

What law? I'm not referring to a court order to comply but an actual law she broke.

18 U.S. Code § 401 - Power of court | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

A court of the United States shall have power to punish by fine or imprisonment, or both, at its discretion, such contempt of its authority, and none other, as—
(1) Misbehavior of any person in its presence or so near thereto as to obstruct the administration of justice;
(3) Disobedience or resistance to its lawful writ, process, order, rule, decree, or command.

The eighth amendment says no punishment shall be excessive and when can this power be used to force California to comply with immigration laws?

The eighth amendment says no punishment shall be excessive and when can this power be used to force California to comply with immigration laws?

No court has ever ordered California to "comply with immigration laws".

And Kim Davis isn't being "punished" for anything.

I suppose Obama and the Attorney General should be thrown in jail for not honoring federal laws on immigration, sanctuary cities and drug enforcement. It seems for the Democratic Party laws are flexible if they don't, "feel" like following them.

They probably never will because..hay...it's all political.

pp.png

There are no California immigration laws. There are only federal immigration laws.

Forum List

Back