How Does a Jew Do a Seder Alone?

• Banned
Many people, far too many, expect to be alone on the first night of Passover this year. Moms. Dads. Singles. Perhaps you yourself.

How does a Jew read the Haggadah alone?

We all have the right, after all, to ask the question: “If He wants me to pass on this experience to another generation, why has He isolated me from my children and grandchildren on this night?”

But then, you must conclude, “If He has put me alone on the night of Passover, apparently He wants me to read the Haggadah alone.”

And not just to read it—but to act it out, to live it. It has to be real.

But how?

Ask Yourself​

There’s no question new under the sun. Long before us, the sages of the Talmud taught that the story of the Exodus must be told as an answer to a question. They said:

One who has a child smart enough to ask, his child asks him.
If not, his wife asks him.
If he has no wife, he asks himself.
So I’ll sit there and ask myself, “Why is tonight different from all other nights?”

Somewhere in the vicinity there's a Seder with adults/kids who share the tradition. Invite yourself and see what happens !!! LOL... Just follow someone home from the market who bought the eggs, matzohs, wine, bitter herbs and hot sauce. Or ask someone buying all that -- how much horseradish you need for a Seder of One.

Last edited:
How does a Jew do a Seder alone?

By standing in place forlornly, staring to the sky and with clenched fists slightly shaking and with your best Brooklyn accent sighing "God, why me?!"

The Seder and the fifth son who didn't come

Especially challenging about Hagadah is the story of the four children.
We see an interesting thing, that of the 4 children, 3 are asking questions.

And Torah speaks regarding these 3 children, telling us the answers to give to the questions. From this I understand an important thing, that it's impossible to pass a message, heritage and values, whatever they are, without being in the context of a question first. Therefore the answer given to the wise is different from the one given to the wicked or the honest.

Against that, the child who doesn't know how to question - is a problem. As to say, an average educator would say, wonderful this kid doesn't ask questions, I'll tell him myself what to think. While the compiler of the Hagadah sees in the absence of a question - a problem. Therefore he's told he should teach how to question, that through a question the kid gets an answer.

And I think this principle is great education. In that a person shouldn't be afraid of his/her questions, rather the question - defines a human. Tell me what is Your question,
I'll tell You who You are.

I'd also say this connects to the manner of Exodus as liberty. The liberty is the liberty to question. To clarify, clarify to myself, who, what am I, what do I want from myself?
Only out of this can an answer be given, true and satisfying.

Shiry Noiman: So Rabbi, I'm interested to know, there're 4 children and the one who doesn't know how to question. But what about the one who didn't even come?

Rabbi Sherki: Ah, beautiful.

This idea probably started by the Lubavitche Rebbe, that there is, Torah spoke regarding the four children. When it says four, whenever a number is mentioned, in Mishnah or the Tanaic literature, the meaning is to exclude from the collective, the one who didn't come.
If there are four children, it's a clue that there is a fifth child.

And the fifth child is especially worrying us.
How come there's a child that there is nothing to talk with him about?

Indeed even the wicked has a real question, he wants to understand,
"what is this work to You?", now and what about the child who didn't come?

However, this is exactly what the Hagadah say before telling the story of the four children. It says "Baruch HaMakom" (Blessed the place[of the world], blessed He". And only after that "Baruch that gave Torah to His nation Yisrael", regarding them Torah spoke.

The meaning of 'Baruch HaMakom', why G-d is referred to as the 'place', especially in this context? Because He gives place to everyone, gives place also to those regarding whom Torah didn't speak, yet a part of G-d's world.

I always say in amusement, this is probably the child that Elyahu the prophet brings, when Elyahu's cup at the end of the Hagadah, we open the door and say 'Baruch HaBa', welcome - probably looking out for Elyahu to come with the fifth child, asking 'I've found this in the streets, is that Yours?'

Indeed this is what said [Malachi 3:24] regarding Elyahu's role,
in returning the hearts of parents to the children,
and the hearts of children to the parents.

Last edited:

By standing in place forlornly, staring to the sky and with clenched fists slightly shaking and with your best Brooklyn accent sighing "God, why me?!"

I love the Seder. Alone, or with others.

Which could lead on to this, regarding your comment.

# Many great thinkers consider the question "Why do bad things happen to good people?" to be the most perplexing question in philosophy and theology. Are there any truly good answers?

That maybe until the second of the four cups...

ag-orna-lev-wines_eyg-1024x682.jpg

"Seder?"

What the fuck are you even talking about? :dunno:

What the fuck is "seder"?

Poor Muhammed -- didnt' have a "diversity based" educational experience. Passover is the ORIGINAL "Last Supper" in Christianity. Because Jesus was celebrating it as a Jew. Christians also stole some of the symbolism in their "Easter Eggs".. LOL...

It's the story of the exodus from Egypt. Matzohs being UNleavened bread because they had no time to let it rise before fleeing Egypt.

Poor Muhammed -- didnt' have a "diversity based" educational experience. Passover is the ORIGINAL "Last Supper" in Christianity. Because Jesus was celebrating it as a Jew. Christians also stole some of the symbolism in their "Easter Eggs".. LOL...

It's the story of the exodus from Egypt. Matzohs being UNleavened bread because they had no time to let it rise before fleeing Egypt.
That story sounds kinda gay.

I love the Seder. Alone, or with others.

Which could lead on to this, regarding your comment.

# Many great thinkers consider the question "Why do bad things happen to good people?" to be the most perplexing question in philosophy and theology. Are there any truly good answers?

Trying to cheer ya up here. At least pretend we're helping. :rolleyes-41: I got my Seder charity box from the "Fellowship of Christians and Jews" this year. It really cut down on the preparation time, but not enough wine in the package.

Trying to cheer ya up here. At least pretend we're helping. :rolleyes-41: I got my Seder charity box from the "Fellowship of Christians and Jews" this year. It really cut down on the preparation time, but not enough wine in the package.

Thanks, but I’m okay.

l’ll be spending the rest of it in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Forum List

Back