How do we get the money out of politics?

Our entire political system has been corrupted by big money donors and the two major political parties.

And money is the primary problem. We allow a few big money donors to exert control over the parties that decide who will run for president and ultimately who will be elected. This corruption permeates the entire federal government right down to the lowliest congress person.

Foreign money should not be allowed at all but we see foreign interests giving huge dollar amounts to the RNC and DNC we even allow foreign money donations for candidates of Congress and the presidency.

WHat can we do to get rid of at least foreign contributions and limit the big money donors from exerting control over our political system?
Why is there money in politics?

Because the government has so much power over our lives and big money wants to control that power.

The answer to getting money out of politics is to get government out of our lives.

Campaigns may not solicit or accept contributions from foreign nationals. Federal law prohibits contributions, donations, expenditures and disbursements solicited, directed, received or made directly or indirectly by or from foreign nationals in connection with any election — federal, state or local.

Who can and can't contribute - FEC.gov.
But the DNC and RNC can accept foreign money

Not legally I believe.
The only way they do it is illegally, due to the lack of accountability from Citizen's United, (as I understand it).

Foreign money should not be allowed at all but we see foreign interests giving huge dollar amounts to the RNC and DNC we even allow foreign money donations for candidates of Congress and the presidency.
That is a serious problem

but I dont thint the corrupt swamp rats in washington will put an end to it
Therein lies the rub.

The corrupt politician in DC will never vote against their own financial interests.

Congress and their staffers are basically able to trade stocks in insider info with no repercussions.

We should have all elected officials place their assets in a blind trust while they are in office

I think most do, but all should be forced to.
Trump did not.

There is no legal requirement for any elected politician to do so.

There should be.

Our entire political system has been corrupted by big money donors and the two major political parties.

And money is the primary problem. We allow a few big money donors to exert control over the parties that decide who will run for president and ultimately who will be elected. This corruption permeates the entire federal government right down to the lowliest congress person.

WHat can we do to get rid of at least foreign contributions and limit the big money donors from exerting control over our political system?

Because the government has so much power over our lives and big money wants to control that power.

The answer to getting money out of politics is to get government out of our lives.
That is true. Power attracts money, and that's not just in the campaigns. How many politicians over the years have entered office moderately well off and left a decade or so later extremely well off, though paid upper middle class wages?

Or at least make it more local so that we can see it better, counter it more, and use disclosure of it to influence voters against those who take the contributions.

Campaigns may not solicit or accept contributions from foreign nationals. Federal law prohibits contributions, donations, expenditures and disbursements solicited, directed, received or made directly or indirectly by or from foreign nationals in connection with any election — federal, state or local.

Not legally I believe.
The only way they do it is illegally, due to the lack of accountability from Citizen's United, (as I understand it).

Thanks to decades of laws, court rulings, IRS interpretations, and one hugely controversial Supreme Court decision (Citizens United), a type of organization exists in the United States that can accept unlimited donations from corporations (foreign or otherwise), campaign for a candidate, and not tell a soul about where the money came from. These fate-decreed special organizations exempt from disclosure under federal tax laws are called Social Welfare Organizations. In the 2012 election, the third largest advertiser, just behind Obama and Romney’s campaigns, was a conservative-backed Social Welfare Organization called Crossroads GPS.

Social Welfare Organizations are supposed to exist to promote social welfare. However, they cannot exist primarily for elections. To stay kosher with the law, the best guidance suggests that a Social Welfare Organization must spend at least 50% of its money on promoting things other than a political candidate. So long as at least half of their activities are non-political, they may keep their tax-exempt status.

An independent political entity like a Super PAC must disclose its own donors, but it does not have to disclose its donors' donors, keeping the original contributors safe from disclosure. A Social Welfare Organization could therefore donate money to a Super PAC. The Super PAC would disclose that the Social Welfare Organization donated to it, but the Social Welfare Organizations’ donors could remain secret.

Simple answer.

The electorate needs to make decisions based on what they know....not what they are told they should know.

I have never made a voting decision based on political ads. When they come up on TV, that is when I go pee and make a sandwich.

Lawn signs? Really? My neighbor has a lawn sign for Hillary and that will sway my sentiments?

Uh....no.

Use modern communications technology to keep senators and representatives in their district. Keeping these folks out of Washington would keep their physically away from a lot of the lobbyists who would actually have to travel the country to see the reps.

Having the reps living and working at their professions in their districts would allow us to dispense with their salaries and benefits as reps would be earning their livelihood in their own professions, eye doctor, lawyer, used car sales, bartender, instead of being on the public dole.

The reps should NOT be working on their professions in their districts. Being an elected representative of the House or Senate is a full time job, not something you can do on even a part time basis. You've had a part time President for the past 4 years and NOTHING got done. It's going to take a lot of people working full time, overtime, and all the time, to set things right again.

Also, being a member of a House and the Senate requires you to discuss, interact, and working in concert with your fellow House Members or Senators. You cannot discuss, debate, or otherwise negotiate with your fellow members from your home district. Legislation involves gathering information on a lot of stuff you know little about, learning about them and making decisions. It involved interaction, discussion and education, which as we have learned from attempts to teach school children, is not effectively done via the internet.

Your post indicates that you think government does nothing. You have never come across as one of the more well educated or astute posters but the level of ignorance in suggesting such a thing shows how little you truly know.

If you owned a company with assets, income and expenses in the trillions of dollars, and hundreds of divisions and thousands of subsiduaries, would YOU want a bunch of part time executives who were more focussed on their own companies and profits, running your company, to do you want these random people to learn how your company works, and what it needs, and the best way to keep it operating.

Stop acting like government is just politics - it's not. Government is the what keeps property records and protects individual property rights, through the patent and trade mark system. It's what provides the legal framework to incorporate businesses, hold property, invest, build, invent, and to enjoy and retain the fruits of your labour and your investment.

Simple answer.

The electorate needs to make decisions based on what they know....not what they are told they should know.

I have never made a voting decision based on political ads. When they come up on TV, that is when I go pee and make a sandwich.

Lawn signs? Really? My neighbor has a lawn sign for Hillary and that will sway my sentiments?

Uh....no.

And how do you know people actually know what they should know or what you think they should know ?

Unfortunately people believe what they see on TV and hear on the radio

Use modern communications technology to keep senators and representatives in their district. Keeping these folks out of Washington would keep their physically away from a lot of the lobbyists who would actually have to travel the country to see the reps.

Having the reps living and working at their professions in their districts would allow us to dispense with their salaries and benefits as reps would be earning their livelihood in their own professions, eye doctor, lawyer, used car sales, bartender, instead of being on the public dole.

The reps should NOT be working on their professions in their districts. Being an elected representative of the House or Senate is a full time job, not something you can do on even a part time basis. You've had a part time President for the past 4 years and NOTHING got done. It's going to take a lot of people working full time, overtime, and all the time, to set things right again.

Also, being a member of a House and the Senate requires you to discuss, interact, and working in concert with your fellow House Members or Senators. You cannot discuss, debate, or otherwise negotiate with your fellow members from your home district. Legislation involves gathering information on a lot of stuff you know little about, learning about them and making decisions. It involved interaction, discussion and education, which as we have learned from attempts to teach school children, is not effectively done via the internet.

Your post indicates that you think government does nothing. You have never come across as one of the more well educated or astute posters but the level of ignorance in suggesting such a thing shows how little you truly know.

If you owned a company with assets, income and expenses in the trillions of dollars, and hundreds of divisions and thousands of subsiduaries, would YOU want a bunch of part time executives who were more focussed on their own companies and profits, running your company, to do you want these random people to learn how your company works, and what it needs, and the best way to keep it operating.

Stop acting like government is just politics - it's not. Government is the what keeps property records and protects individual property rights, through the patent and trade mark system. It's what provides the legal framework to incorporate businesses, hold property, invest, build, invent, and to enjoy and retain the fruits of your labour and your investment.

Government is all politics and always has been. Every single on of those things you mention have to be voted on by politicians to become law and those politicians don't do anything unless they get something in return

Simple answer.

Uh....no.

And how do you know people actually know what they should know or what you think they should know ?

I am a conservative. I believe what I do as long, as it is within the law, I am allowed to do. I decide to do based on what is legal and and if it is, I will do what I want to do.
I will not criticize those that do what they decide to do as long as it is legal....even if it due to their desire to believe political ads.
I cant stop it and it is not my right to stop it. Freedom of decision...and freedom of taking advice to make the decision.

Simple answer.

Uh....no.

I am a conservative. I believe what I do as long, as it is within the law, I am allowed to do. I decide to do based on what is legal and and if it is, I will do what I want to do.
I will not criticize those that do what they decide to do as long as it is legal....even if it due to their desire to believe political ads.
I cant stop it and it is not my right to stop it. Freedom of decision...and freedom of taking advice to make the decision.

I never said anything about people making their own decisions who to vote for.

This is about taking the money out of politics so our politicians aren't in the pocket of anyone.

Simple answer.

Uh....no.

I never said anything about people making their own decisions who to vote for.

This is about taking the money out of politics so our politicians aren't in the pocket of anyone.
thats the point.

Regardless of why they decide what they decide...be it money or fame or whatever.......the electorate has the choice to vote them out.

If they dont, that was the majority choice.

As a conservative, It works for me.

Most well run states in America have legislatures that only meet for a few months each year. North Dakota is limited to 80 days, Texas to 140. Thinking that congressmen have to stay in Washington DC 12 months a year is bullshit.

It is politics that decides how to enact the processes of your last paragraph.

Stop acting like all is perfect. It isnt. In NY, I paid 15K in real estate taxes.....in return I had streets needing repair and at best getting a temporary fix , snowplows first plowing the streets of politicians, waste collection tossing my cans on my lawn, schools with "sheds" as classrooms due to expansion of student body they couldn't afford, 3 months to have my s-corp application to be approved, graduation key note speaker for my son in high school arriving 4 hours late (Schumer) with the excuse being "traffic"....
In SC...I pay 1500 in taxes with no potholes, schools with full brick and mortar classrooms, streets cleaned on a daily basis...took me all of 2 days to have my s-corp application approved and initiated...and the High School key note speaker (Graham) was not only early....but signed autographs for 2 hours before graduation.

Simple...

Federal funds political parties.... No fund raising at all... Not allowed to use personal money....

As for Super Pacs, ban them... Not allowed to buy TV, Social Media,......

Also bring in multi-seat preference voting for Congress and Senate.. This also makes bribery(money in politics) harder

This would probably need a Constitution amendment...

Elected officials should have all there money in blind trusts, they can not trade stocks or have anyone trading there money. If they wish to buy any stock they have to publicly announce it 7 days before they buy it. Using your own business (e.g. staying in your own hotel) should be illegal...

That is just a start...

get rid of citizen's united.

lol ... good luck.

That did NOT stop anyone from donating to politics. It only stopped certain groups from speaking out on their own. You really should understand the law and ruling before commenting on it.

Either that or you are simply intentionally misrepresenting the issue.
It actually allowed more big money donations and it opened the door for foreign corporations to give money to candidates.

One thing we should do is make sure all money donated to political campaigns or any US political party come only from US sources

It had negative repercussions those who past it didn't forsee but they should have never passed it to start with.

That's not what the law I quoted states.

Forum List

Back